Chester Springs
✟3,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm a 22 year old male currently in a pretty tough situation and I need your prayers and emotional support. I'm going to do my best to sum up my situation. Thank you for taking the time to read this:

I've been a born-again christian for exactly a year and 15 days. On the 7th of last year I accepted Jesus into my life and it's been a crazy journey. I'm currently living with my family (my younger brother, my dad and my mom) and I am financially dependent on my parents. About 4 years ago my oldest brother committed suicide and it's really left a scar in my family. My dad is angry with God and has refused to talk to me about Jesus after many attempts. He is also an alcoholic and is borderline physically abusive. He has threatened to attack both me and my brother and our new puppy. My brother and I have spoken to my mom many many times about leaving him and I've come to accept she won't do anything. She is what some label as an "enabler." My house isn't always a warzone, most of the time nothing is really happening. But so far there have probably been around 5-6 violent confrontations this year.

In regards to spirituality, I've been focusing my energy on bearing fruit in my life. God has called me to make music and He has also revealed to me that I need to abide in Him and to be a light for others. So far I have been really struggling with these tasks and have made some fatal mistakes in the past. In the middle of the year I backslid from the faith and had an argument with my older brother about Christ. I also had many arguments with my dad. And I just do not feel like I have been a good representation for Christ. My oldest brother and my dad have refused Christ which worries me everyday. Please pray for them.

I've been working everyday on producing music but it doesn't feel right. Like I'm "forcing" it or something. I know that it is Christ who bears the fruit (He is the vine and we are the branches) and the concept really confuses me in regards to how I am supposed to make music for Him.

Is there any advice you could give me on being a light for Christ, bearing fruit and trusting God? Thank you!

Please pray for my older brother & my dad.

Aussie Pete

Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟725,341.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I'm a 22 year old male currently in a pretty tough situation and I need your prayers and emotional support. I'm going to do my best to sum up my situation. Thank you for taking the time to read this:

I've been a born-again christian for exactly a year and 15 days. On the 7th of last year I accepted Jesus into my life and it's been a crazy journey. I'm currently living with my family (my younger brother, my dad and my mom) and I am financially dependent on my parents. About 4 years ago my oldest brother committed suicide and it's really left a scar in my family. My dad is angry with God and has refused to talk to me about Jesus after many attempts. He is also an alcoholic and is borderline physically abusive. He has threatened to attack both me and my brother and our new puppy. My brother and I have spoken to my mom many many times about leaving him and I've come to accept she won't do anything. She is what some label as an "enabler." My house isn't always a warzone, most of the time nothing is really happening. But so far there have probably been around 5-6 violent confrontations this year.

In regards to spirituality, I've been focusing my energy on bearing fruit in my life. God has called me to make music and He has also revealed to me that I need to abide in Him and to be a light for others. So far I have been really struggling with these tasks and have made some fatal mistakes in the past. In the middle of the year I backslid from the faith and had an argument with my older brother about Christ. I also had many arguments with my dad. And I just do not feel like I have been a good representation for Christ. My oldest brother and my dad have refused Christ which worries me everyday. Please pray for them.

I've been working everyday on producing music but it doesn't feel right. Like I'm "forcing" it or something. I know that it is Christ who bears the fruit (He is the vine and we are the branches) and the concept really confuses me in regards to how I am supposed to make music for Him.

Is there any advice you could give me on being a light for Christ, bearing fruit and trusting God? Thank you!

You are going through a pretty normal process for a new Christian. I found the first 40 years to be the hardest..... J/K. But yes, we learn through our failures and mistakes. I've been born again for 48 years. There are still struggles and still failures. My wrestle at present is with discouragement. So few people are seeking the Lord these days. Yet God calls us to preach the good news even when no one seems to be interested. Just one soul rescued from the pit is worth it.

You know one of the greatest truths we can learn. We are called to bear fruit, not produce it. Fruit is the natural result of the tree. If we will choose daily to abide in Christ, allowing Him to live in place of who we were in Adam, we will be fruitful. The problem we have at first is discerning what is of Christ and what is of self. It takes a long time and I still do not get it right all the time. Be patient with yourself, with God and with others.

The Christian life starts with total surrender to the Lordship of Christ. Until that time, God mostly does a negative work. We have to see that what we can do of ourselves is fruitless, no matter how good it seems to us. It's not what is done for Christ that counts. It is what is done in and through Christ that is eternal. That sounds complex, but it is not. In fact, the Christian life is so simple that most people miss it. Paul said it best, "not I, but Christ". Galatians 2:20 could be the best known and least understood verse in the Bible. Ask God to reveal the truth to you. You would also be blessed by reading Watchman Nee, who is possibly the greatest preacher on the fundamentals of what it is to be a Christian. His book, "The Normal Christian Life" should be required reading for anyone who desires to be a real Christian. We will pray for you.

Reactions: Zach7
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You are going through a pretty normal process for a new Christian. I found the first 40 years to be the hardest..... J/K. But yes, we learn through our failures and mistakes. I've been born again for 48 years. There are still struggles and still failures. My wrestle at present is with discouragement. So few people are seeking the Lord these days. Yet God calls us to preach the good news even when no one seems to be interested. Just one soul rescued from the pit is worth it.

You know one of the greatest truths we can learn. We are called to bear fruit, not produce it. Fruit is the natural result of the tree. If we will choose daily to abide in Christ, allowing Him to live in place of who we were in Adam, we will be fruitful. The problem we have at first is discerning what is of Christ and what is of self. It takes a long time and I still do not get it right all the time. Be patient with yourself, with God and with others.

The Christian life starts with total surrender to the Lordship of Christ. Until that time, God mostly does a negative work. We have to see that what we can do of ourselves is fruitless, no matter how good it seems to us. It's not what is done for Christ that counts. It is what is done in and through Christ that is eternal. That sounds complex, but it is not. In fact, the Christian life is so simple that most people miss it. Paul said it best, "not I, but Christ". Galatians 2:20 could be the best known and least understood verse in the Bible. Ask God to reveal the truth to you. You would also be blessed by reading Watchman Nee, who is possibly the greatest preacher on the fundamentals of what it is to be a Christian. His book, "The Normal Christian Life" should be required reading for anyone who desires to be a real Christian. We will pray for you.
It's about abiding in the vine (John 15) for fruitfulness, isn't it?

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟725,341.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
It's about abiding in the vine (John 15) for fruitfulness, isn't it?
Yes. The hard part is knowing what that means in experience. Christians have wonderful ways of quoting scriptures yet not having the reality in their own lives. I'm not picking on you, please don't get me wrong.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟77,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

My childhood was somewat of a mess. My parents divorced when I was nine. My father only knew how to criticize. My mother remarried 2 months after the divorce. She allowed us to go to friends' houses but didn't want us to invite friends over and never had any friends of her own. By the time there were five children, the youngest being almost two years, she divorced again. We moved at least once a year after that sometimes to other states, always to new schools. The third marriage was the worst choice she ever made. But she quoted, "The third time is a charm." He was an abusive alcoholic, and a child molestor whose mother was an enabler. My older sister was rebellious and usually brought on the wrath of both stepfathers. I was the one who was tolerated by most people. I didn't know that the Bible says," A soft answer turneth away wrath." But I knew better than to argue.

With your family, I suggest avoiding arguments and backing off evangelism efforts. I am the only child of six who became a Christian. We weren't raised as Mormons or Christians.

Upvote 0

DLovingBrother

Jun 21, 2018
MidAtlantic
✟16,941.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My advice to you is to be patient with your faith. You are a 1-year old Christian and has so much to learn. “Head knowledge” is important but “heart knowledge” is equally important. Join a Bible study if you have not, and know the teachings of the Bible. Loving the Lord, nurturing your relationship with Him and abiding in Him should go hand in hand with mastery of God’s Word. Again, be patient. I was sloppy for five years until an accident woke me up and God had my full attention. It has been 20+ years and I had ups and downs but the biggest advice I can give you is never allow a doubt unresolved. We have so many resources available. Here are some websites you might find useful: http://www.turningpointradio.org/; https://www.gotquestions.org/welcome.html; str.org; Defending Biblical Christianity | Reasonable Faith.

Don’t force the issue, pray for your dad and brother, which might take years before anything sprouts. I will include you and your family as well in my personal prayer list. Finally, the movie “I Can Only Imagine,” might inspire you. Stay faithful to Him, brother.

Reactions: Zach7
Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟785,998.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Sorry that these things are going on in your life. We will pray as you requested. Agree with the others who suggested just keep learning about God and don't argue. Also, in regards to making music, asks God to lead you. Begin when you're able to spend some time thinking about the Lord - to an audience of One.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums