Not open for further replies.

peschitta_enthusiast

Aug 13, 2004
✟482.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Don't forget that the KJV also has contradictions, like the genealogies of Yeshua in Matthew and Luke, and who it was that named Yeshua. Also, the King James Version was commissioned by a man who implied that Jesus was a homosexual. You know what the Good Book says about bad trees and bad fruits...

Upvote 0

Harry the Heretic

guitly of zealotry
Jun 8, 2004
Harvard Il.
✟445.00
Faith
Christian
wayfaring man said:
Please excuse my lack of ability to review and address all the posts and individual issues in this thread .

Once , when I was pondering what made the King James stand out as the best English Translation , I sought the Lord to hear His thoughts on the matter [ I know to some this may sound crazy - seeking the Lord for an answer ... who do you think you are !!! ]

Well , here's what I heard .... Judge for yourself -

" That which is spoken gracefully , can be put stongly , and still be received "

[ I know ] - That even sounds like the King James !

As an example , compare - " Take no thought " KJV ( from sermon on the mount Mt. Ch 5 )w/ Be not anxious or do not worry , or however the other versions convey that thought [ It's been a while since I looked at the others ]

Take no thought is more absolute and specific in it's aim at the start of what can or will lead to worry etc .

But if one were to say ;" Don't think about something " , it conveys the specific point , but lacks the gracefulness .

Also , Take no thought fits well with , Pauls charge of bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ .( See 2nd Corinthians 10:5 )

Along with the definition of repentance - being ; to think differently ; have a changed mind .

Another place to compare is in 1st Timothy 4:8 - KJV says ," bodily exercise profitteth little ", other version say , physical exercise is of some value .

But the verse is making a comparison between the physical and the spiritual - " godliness " , therefore , because the KJV is graceful it can put the contrast strongly , without sounding as overbearing ; but the other , because it lacks the same degree of gracefulness , moderates the comparison , and waters down the distinctiveness of the thought being conveyed , giving an ambiguousness to how much value should be attributed to physical exercise .

Also compare Luke 16:9 , the KJV is the only version I could find , out of 6 or 7 , that conveyed the context with the insight which only an indigent person could readily relate . [ Jesus and his disciples were indigent , travelling about with little or no money .]

Besides this ; I'm including a post I wrote on another board -- I hope this is helpful in addressing these questions .... Peace ---wm

In spite of the scholars employed by king James , William Tyndale , is the major contributor , regarding human involvement , concerning the King James Bible .

Tyndale has the testimony of a true martyr - [ one who is unjustly killed , who at the time of their death , shows forth nothing but graciousness towards their murderers .]

As Jesus on the Cross said : Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do. <---> Luke 23 :34

And Stephen said , while being stoned : Lord, lay not this sin to their
charge. <-----> Acts 7 : 60

To have that kind of grace , one must be full of The Spirit of Grace ,( i.e. The Holy Spirit ) . Hence , William Tyndale was qualified , by The Spirit , to translate The Scriptures .

For which he was pursued by " falsely religious zealots " , and eventually strangled while flames of being " burnt at the stake " danced about him ; his last words were ," Lord , open the kings eyes " .

Approxiametely , 70 years later , king James comes along , and in what was totally out of character with the " high minded , hypocritical religiosity " of the times , declares that the Sacred Scriptures shall be put in the language of the common people - to the horror and dismay of the " high minded " .

The scholars assembled , the best available , and after comparing all other translations available to them , agreed that the work of William Tyndale , and his understudy , Miles Cloverdale , was the best , " the English language could afford " .

And so with little modification , William Tydale's prayer was answered and his work preserved in great numbers and with much honor and esteem .

This is the story , behind the story , of The King James Bible .

It may not be absolutely perfect ( can any thing which man has handled be ? )

But God has ensured that the Truth of Salvation is still clearly expressed therein and thereby .

Wherefore I give thanks . Amen .

sincerely ,

wm
Yes, I also "trust" Tyndale as a translator, for the reasons given above. His NT is the most simple and elegant translation. It opens up the NT, like no other.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.