Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The unity President is being sued by 21 out of 50 states less than 3 months in office.

States sue Biden in effort to salvage Keystone XL pipeline

21 states filed a lawsuit against President Biden on Wednesday over his executive order to rescind permits for the Keystone XL oil pipeline.

Driving the news: The suit, filed in the U.S. District Court in Texas, aims to overturn Biden's decision, arguing that he overstepped his authority by ordering a cross-border permit for the Canada-U.S. pipeline to be revoked.

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,304.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Seeing as a president cannot be sued over things they do/have done while in office, this should be interesting to see how far it goes before inevitably being dismissed. Presidents have complete immunity from civil suits over matters done while in office, as established by the Supreme Court with Nixon v Fitzgerald.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟650,580.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Biden bent over backwards to seek input from Republican Congressmen and Senators before passing the stimulus. He is reaching out but recognizes that there will be areas of disagreement.

Doing what he did by executive order isn't reaching out, and cancelling the pipeline project has nothing to do with the "Stimulus".

• Agree
Reactions: hislegacy
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The unity President is being sued by 21 out of 50 states less than 3 months in office.

21 states filed a lawsuit against President Biden on Wednesday over his executive order to rescind permits for the Keystone XL oil pipeline.

Driving the news: The suit, filed in the U.S. District Court in Texas, aims to overturn Biden's decision, arguing that he overstepped his authority by ordering a cross-border permit for the Canada-U.S. pipeline to be revoked.
To be sued don't you have to show how you are being financially harmed or harmed in some way?
The plan for the pipeline location doesn't even go through some of these states. I wonder what they are suing for?

• Agree
Reactions: Fantine
Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

The only shock here is that there are not more states taking legal action on more of the E.O.s

• Agree
Reactions: hislegacy
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟699,465.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
To be sued don't you have to show how you are being financially harmed or harmed in some way?
The plan for the pipeline location doesn't even go through some of these states. I wonder what they are suing for?

All that is answered in the link provided including the text of the lawsuit filed.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟699,465.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Biden bent over backwards to seek input from Republican Congressmen and Senators before passing the stimulus. He is reaching out but recognizes that there will be areas of disagreement.

joe held a photo op in the White House and then completely ignored the Republican input as evidenced by the totally partisan votes following.

• Agree
Reactions: Aldebaran
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟699,465.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Seeing as a president cannot be sued over things they do/have done while in office, this should be interesting to see how far it goes before inevitably being dismissed. Presidents have complete immunity from civil suits over matters done while in office, as established by the Supreme Court with Nixon v Fitzgerald.

-CryptoLutheran

Criminal, no one is saying he did something criminally. Read the link.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
All that is answered in the link provided including the text of the lawsuit filed.
I did that is why I have questions. What standing do all these states have when not only the XL portion doesn't pass through their state but none of the Keystone pipelines pass through their state.

If the President can't regulate this pipeline with an EO then how did Trump do it and before him Obama do it? I'm missing information that I need to understand.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟346,515.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
joe held a photo op in the White House and then completely ignored the Republican input as evidenced by the totally partisan votes following.
Lack of Republican votes is not evidence of lack of Republican input. But at the same token, Biden wasn't going to repeat what happened 12 years ago and let a bill get watered down and then voted against anyway. The Republicans have shown in the past a willingness to try and have their cake and eat it too.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟650,580.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Lack of Republican votes is not evidence of lack of Republican input. But at the same token, Biden wasn't going to repeat what happened 12 years ago and let a bill get watered down and then voted against anyway. The Republicans have shown in the past a willingness to try and have their cake and eat it too.

Compromise is often needed when reaching across the isle and working with those he doesn't agree with. At the very least, it would show that he believes the views and values of those who didn't vote for him still mean something in this country.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟346,515.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Compromise is often needed when reaching across the isle and working with those he doesn't agree with. At the very least, it would show that he believes the views and values of those who didn't vote for him still mean something in this country.
And there are multiple amendments proposed by Republicans in the final bill. They still all voted against it.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟699,465.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I did that is why I have questions. What standing do all these states have when not only the XL portion doesn't pass through their state but none of the Keystone pipelines pass through their state.

If the President can't regulate this pipeline with an EO then how did Trump do it and before him Obama do it? I'm missing information that I need to understand.

I don’t have the knowledge to intelligently answer you. I am not an attorney.

• Friendly
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And there are multiple amendments proposed by Republicans in the final bill. They still all voted against it.
There were over 500 proposed but most didn't make it to a vote.
I think there were only 2 amendments from Reps. that got into the final bill and one of those was the adjustment from $400 to $300 for the unemployed.
They didn't get enough in order to be able to vote for it. I can understand that.
Actions - H.R.1319 - 117th Congress (2021-2022): American Rescue Plan Act of 2021

• Agree
Reactions: Aldebaran
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don’t have the knowledge to intelligently answer you. I am not an attorney.
Obviously, I'm not.
I think we have at least one attorney on this site and others that are pretty knowledgeable about these things.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟366,630.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The AG of Texas is currently under criminal indictment, and under state investigation for another felony. He's the guy who tried to sue another state for not holding elections the way he wanted them to do it. And yes, he'll lose again. Not the sharpest lawyer in the world.

Upvote 0