Aug 18, 2015
✟327,957.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why would soccer be a good example? Soccer requires short bursts of all out efforts, followed by less intense activity and available carbs are needed for these high intensity bursts.

Keto is fine for someone performing a steady state prolonged activity, of moderate intensity.

I've read about some soccer teams who switched to keto and have performed better. I'll have to see if I can dig that information up. The fact is there just isn't much research on keto for athletics mainly because keto doesn't make companies money. Energy drinks make companies money. Theres no money in keto. So no research on keto and athletics.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I've read about some soccer teams who switched to keto and have performed better. I'll have to see if I can dig that information up. The fact is there just isn't much research on keto for athletics mainly because keto doesn't make companies money. Energy drinks make companies money. Theres no money in keto. So no research on keto and athletics.

Well, there is no scientific data, that keto athletes perform better. Also, from my experience as a physiologist and knowing data from various athletic activities, soccer is an activity that requires periodic "all out effort", which simply doesn't jive with being in ketosis.

Hockey would be another similar example. Hockey players are only on the ice for 45 seconds, because they are going at a high level. They sit for 2 minutes and are back out again for another 45 seconds. Highly trained hockey players, typically have some of the highest max Vo2 scores, of any type of athlete.

Upvote 0

ImAllLikeOkWaitWat

For who can resist his will?
Aug 18, 2015
✟327,957.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, there is no scientific data, that keto athletes perform better. Also, from my experience as a physiologist and knowing data from various athletic activities, soccer is an activity that requires periodic "all out effort", which simply doesn't jive with being in ketosis.

Hockey would be another similar example. Hockey players are only on the ice for 45 seconds, because they are going at a high level. They sit for 2 minutes and are back out again for another 45 seconds. Highly trained hockey players, typically have some of the highest max Vo2 scores, of any type of athlete.

I found this.
Scientists concluded that although carb-loading has been favoured for years, "There are some situations for which alternative dietary options are beneficial."

One of these circumstances is perhaps best described in the nutritional journal entitled, “Human Muscle Fatigue: Physiological Mechanisms.” Sports scientists stated the energy needed to sustain exercise for a long period of time comes from the oxidisation of two fuels: glucose—carbohydrates—and long-chain fatty acids.

Interestingly, they observed the latter is a more sustainable fuel source and provides the “largest energy reserve in the body” that can provide enough energy to last about five days. What this means is fuelling a footballer for 90 minutes on fat should be easy. In contrast, muscle glycogen reserves—carbohydrates stored in the body—are limited and, at most, could provide energy to sustain 100 minutes of exercise.
Glycogen storage capacity in man is approximately 15 g/kg body weight.” This means a smaller player such sa Lionel Messi—who, according to ESPN, weighs 67 kilograms—would only be able to store 1,005 grams of carbohydrates at the very most; he could rapidly burn through that amount during a fast-paced 90 minute match that heads into extra time.
-http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2409793-cristiano-ronaldos-carb-based-diet-vs-tim-howards-fat-based-paleo-diet

Reactions: Saucy
Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I found this.
Scientists concluded that although carb-loading has been favoured for years, "There are some situations for which alternative dietary options are beneficial."

One of these circumstances is perhaps best described in the nutritional journal entitled, “Human Muscle Fatigue: Physiological Mechanisms.” Sports scientists stated the energy needed to sustain exercise for a long period of time comes from the oxidisation of two fuels: glucose—carbohydrates—and long-chain fatty acids.

Interestingly, they observed the latter is a more sustainable fuel source and provides the “largest energy reserve in the body” that can provide enough energy to last about five days. What this means is fuelling a footballer for 90 minutes on fat should be easy. In contrast, muscle glycogen reserves—carbohydrates stored in the body—are limited and, at most, could provide energy to sustain 100 minutes of exercise.
Glycogen storage capacity in man is approximately 15 g/kg body weight.” This means a smaller player such sa Lionel Messi—who, according to ESPN, weighs 67 kilograms—would only be able to store 1,005 grams of carbohydrates at the very most; he could rapidly burn through that amount during a fast-paced 90 minute match that heads into extra time.
-http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2409793-cristiano-ronaldos-carb-based-diet-vs-tim-howards-fat-based-paleo-diet

That all makes sense, if the athlete is refraining from bouts of higher intensity activity, where carbohydrates are more readily burned as fuel.

An elite marathon runner can store enough glycogen to to get them to mile 18-20, if they were burning 100% carbs up to that point. The reality is, elite marathon runners are burning a blend of carbs, fats and to a much lessor degree, protein in those first 20 miles.

Again, when the endurance activity requires an increased relative effort, the energy has to be readily available, if a higher level of intensity is going to be sustained, for any period of time. This is where the carbs are necessary.

Lastly, there is no question that fat is by far, the most abundant fuel source we have. The average person could walk 35 miles, if they could tap just the energy in one pound of fat. The problem is, the higher the intensity of the activity becomes, the more the body will require carbs, to sustain that higher level.

Upvote 0

ImAllLikeOkWaitWat

For who can resist his will?
Aug 18, 2015
✟327,957.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That all makes sense, if the athlete is refraining from bouts of higher intensity activity, where carbohydrates are more readily burned as fuel.

An elite marathon runner can store enough glycogen to to get them to mile 18-20, if they were burning 100% carbs up to that point. The reality is, elite marathon runners are burning a blend of carbs, fats and to a much lessor degree, protein in those first 20 miles.

Again, when the endurance activity requires an increased relative effort, the energy has to be readily available, if a higher level of intensity is going to be sustained, for any period of time. This is where the carbs are necessary.

Lastly, there is no question that fat is by far, the most abundant fuel source we have. The average person could walk 35 miles, if they could tap just the energy in one pound of fat. The problem is, the higher the intensity of the activity becomes, the more the body will require carbs, to sustain that higher level.

Is it possible for someone to get the benefits of being fat adapted and using fat for energy while being able to use a lot of carbohydrates when needed? I know its never 100% of fat being used or carbohydrates being used, but do people have to choose between being fat adapted or using carboydrates? Or is there a way to get the benefits of using primarily fat for energy and then carbohydrates when needed as well. It seems if someone is high carbing then they will struggle with endurance, and if they are going keto then they will do great with endurance but struggle with periods of activity that require short bursts of intense energy. Is there a best of both worlds approach to this?

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Is it possible for someone to get the benefits of being fat adapted and using fat for energy while being able to use a lot of carbohydrates when needed? I know its never 100% of fat being used or carbohydrates being used, but do people have to choose between being fat adapted or using carboydrates? Or is there a way to get the benefits of using primarily fat for energy and then carbohydrates when needed as well. It seems if someone is high carbing then they will struggle with endurance, and if they are going keto then they will do great with endurance but struggle with periods of activity that require short bursts of intense energy. Is there a best of both worlds approach to this?

A carb rich diet for elite endurance athletes, has produced good results. A keto strict diet for elite endurance athletes, does not have near the same track record.

In some sense, you can't have it both ways. If a person is going to be in ketosis, that can not consume enough carbs to throw them out of ketosis, so they will not have the carb stores for higher intensity activities.

Again and I can't stress this enough, the higher intensity of activity (and some elite endurance athletes are going at high intensity, for long periods of time), the body performs much better, when carbs are available. Fat is simply not as easily converted to energy for higher intensity activities, compared to carbs.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
My nutrition is pretty awful, I eat junk food (that's dang tasty!) but I think my fitness is pretty good. I'm in the ROTC, start every morning training, get in another workout later on.

The more active one is, the less crucial it becomes to watch every single thing they eat, because the fuel is getting turned over and burned at high rates.

If one is not getting the right nutrients and they are very active, the body will tell you, by how you feel.

• Agree
Reactions: Go Braves
Upvote 0

PeachieKeen

Apr 24, 2017
Southwest
✟104,538.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As this year closes to an end how do y'all think you've done fitness wise?
Ran my marathon so happy with myself in that regard. But gained a bunch of weight because training made me hungry all the time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Travelers.Soul

Traveler; Dreamer; Warrior; Coffee lover
Aug 15, 2010
Land of the Horse
✟132,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Ran my marathon so happy with myself in that regard. But gained a bunch of weight because training made me hungry all the time.
Way to go on the marathon!!!

I wonder how others offset the increased hunger from training? I know I've had similar problems in the past when I kicked things up a notch and was never sure how to handle it without gaining the weight I'd lost back. Unfortunately the nutritionist I went to see wasn't very helpful since she knew nothing about my medical condition or how it affected my body, etc. She did help me as much as she could. Granted not a lot of people know much if anything about it so it wasn't really her fault. A lot of medical professionals are just now becoming more aware.

Reactions: Multifavs
Upvote 0

Multifavs

Daughter of God
Site Supporter
May 28, 2017
USA
✟151,182.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Doing all right. :) I mean, I could have done better, but definitely doing better than last year!

Upvote 0

LoveDivine

May 20, 2015
✟188,954.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I did well this year. I had several friend's weddings to motivate me. I think I managed to lose between 10-12 pounds overall. That being said, the Holiday season is in full swing and I have been enjoying a lot of sweets, haha. I am just trying to offset all my recent indulgences with lots of cardio.

@PeachieKeen the same thing happened to me when I trained for a marathon years ago. Running makes me ravenous, lol. Congrats on the accomplishment!! It is definitely worth any extra temporary weight gain. Try running half marathons in the future. I found a big difference in hunger levels. It is far more manageable and still a great cardio goal.

Upvote 0

CodyFaith

Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2016
Canada
✟158,594.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I did really good up until around October, started slacking some but also had a lot of stress going on. I feel I'm getting back at it again and I feel more motivated.

Just got in from a run. -7ºC, cold, quiet winter night... just how I like it.

Upvote 0

kittysbecute

Pokémon Master
Jun 3, 2007
Somewhere over the rainbow, where skies are blue
Visit site
✟159,749.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I worked out a lot in the summer, but I'm going to make some new goals for the new year. I would like to hike more often again.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
anyone here have any experience with distilled water?

For drinking? If so, distilled water is best used in batteries, huminifiers etc, because the ions and minerals have been removed. You can drink it, but some belief the minerals in normal drinking water to be beneficial.

Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I highly recommend climbing walls for anyone seeking an excellent indoor physical workout that is also entertaining. You have to strategize your moves as you go higher, so it feels like a game.

It looks like enormous pieces of Lucky Charms superglued to a huge block of cheddar, and you get to feel like Spidey!

spiderwoman.jpg

Upvote 0

Saucy

King of CF
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2005
Michigan
✟837,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I highly recommend climbing walls for anyone seeking an excellent indoor physical workout that is also entertaining. You have to strategize your moves as you go higher, so it feels like a game.

It looks like enormous pieces of Lucky Charms superglued to a huge block of cheddar, and you get to feel like Spidey!

View attachment 216537
We're not all like you where if we fall without a harness, we will blow away like a whisp in the summer air. If I fall, there's a risk that my collision with the earth causes a black hole to form and the universe gets sucked inside.

• Haha
Reactions: LoveDivine
Upvote 0