Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Way too fricken many. I'm switching to Coke Zero Cherry for now plus I'm going to go to the pool on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays for at least 30 minutes.

Thank you for your advice. One of my goals for 2018 is to lose weight and be healthy enough to work again. I'm guessing my dizzy spells are a result of my poor eating habits since 2016.

Lol, you probably already know all my advice. Not a diet expert by any means, just been on a diet this past few weeks. Lost around 9 pounds. (although most of that has to be water weight..).. probably realistically losing 1.5-2 pounds a week. Pretty fun thus far, learned from my diet mistakes last time.

Also helps to have as much variety as possible, so one can have more of a reason to look forward to these restricted meals.

How many calories do you think you consume a day? You do keep track right?

Upvote 0

Toro

Oh, Hello!
Jan 27, 2012
You don't get to stalk me. :|
✟338,520.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Eating "all the time" isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's what you eat and how much of it you eat that matters. Eating many small meals through the day can actually be a good thing as long as you stay within your daily limits (calories,carbs,proteins etc.) the body is less likely to store it as fat if it "knows" more is coming soon. Its supposed to boost metabo if you spread 3 meals into 5 or so smaller ones.

Id start small and find changes you can live with..... diets don't work, life changes do. If you cant stick to it whats the point of going through all the trouble only to put it back on as soon as the diet ends?

We don't put on flab over night, nor are we free from it over night..... sadly. But then Im not a health professional. All I know is what I have read in my homework to get rid of my own extra poundage.

Reactions: LoveDivine
Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,163,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't keep track of the calories at all. My problem is that I over eat. I eat when I'm happy, I eat when I'm sad, I eat when I'm bored... It's a habit I need to kick.

Yeah, I love food too. Hasn't been until last year that I noticed some weight gain. Even then I'm only really capable of skinnyfat, lol.

Although the plus side is that it will probably make gaining muscle more easy too. I do like how my arms are bigger than a lot other guy's arms I see. Used to not be like that at all, lol.

Upvote 0

Saucy

King of CF
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2005
Michigan
✟837,854.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Really long post, but this is what I've been studying/doing.

I promise you, hand on the bible, that if you try harder to cut sugar and just eat better overall (more nutrients...maybe invest in a good men's vitamin), you will feel like a million bucks. It will cut BIG TIME into the bad thoughts. The more I research depression, the more I understand chemistry and how they keep pumping preservatives, sugar, and other chemicals into our foods. If you list out each one, most cause depression. They cause people to be lethargic. It's messing with their brain and body chemistry.

Just going outside, in nature, every single day and getting fresh air helps. Practicing breathing techniques and using that to help you get out of a panic or trigger attack. It has helped me a lot to relax when I just take deep breathes and tell myself everything is okay. Exercise will help work toxins out of your muscles and through your sweat. If you're not sweating, you're not trying hard enough.

To burn more calories and just be stronger overall, men should be eating more lean proteins and lifting weights. It doesn't have to be bodybuilding or anything. Just get a few 20 pound weights or even a few gallons of water and keep working out the muscles.

I just told someone this the other day, so I'm sorry if it was you. But the body needs energy to run. Everything we do, from breathing to blinking to talking and moving requires fuel, like a car. But our bodies only know two fuel sources: sugar or fat. When we're getting a low dose of sugar, the body easily processes it. But in our modern diets, there's sugar in EVERYTHING. Even stuff you wouldn't realize sugar would be hiding. Potato chips are addictive. You can open a bad and just scarf the whole thing down without a thought.

That's because of the chemistry. We're addicted to the feel-good feelings we get when we eat it. It's comfort for us. Because we're getting an abundance of sugar, we have more in our systems than our bodies can handle and can be processed, our bodies think like the farmer who had a large crop, more than he needs.

Back in the old times, it was feast or famine. People didn't have supermarkets stuffed with food 12 months out of the year, and if the crops failed, it was tough on everyone. So, the body knows, when there's an abundance, store some of it up for later. That excess sugar gets turned into fat, expecting to be used later. But, in modern times, we're not out in the fields working anymore. We're not on our feet most of the day like we used to be. We're behind computer screens or on the couch most of the time.

We're eating more food, bad food, and exercising less. Voila, obesity epidemic. People can't lose weight because they are literally addicted to the sugar in their food. Everything breaks down into sugar if it's carbs, breads, pastas, etc. Again, potatoes and breads were good back in the day when we would burn it off easy. But today, that access is turned into sugar and then stored as fat.

What people are finding out today is, the other fuel source the body can use instead of sugar, is fat. When you starve the body of sugar, you'll withdraw for a few days, maybe even up to a week. That week might be torture and it feels like you're having a flu. But, when you get rid of the sugar, your body goes into ketosis. That means it switches from using sugar as a fuel source, to fat. All the fat that the body has stored up starts to become the fuel. And the engines start revving and the fat falls FAST.

The Keto diet (for ketosis) has really been the best for me. I felt like a million bucks emotionally. I had a ton of energy and life was great. The brain fog was gone. I was losing weight. I got off the diet because eating more proteins is more expensive than buying a case of Ramen when times got tough.

As you know, my knee is still pretty bad off, so I haven't really been exercising this year. This is what I've done specifically.

1) I skip breakfast. It's not difficult for me to wait until noon to eat my first meal of the day. They call that intermittent fasting. Some people do it differently, but I've heard others say that by prolonging your fast (you're technically fasting at night when you sleep), it helps your body process more of that sugar without more being added. It saves you those calories. You can still eat a bigger meal at night.

2) Switched to Coke zero when I need a soda. I know how difficult it is to kick pop. I realized it wasn't the sugar for me, but the fizzy goodness of it. Carbonated water tastes like carbonated water. That's like watered down water. Bleh. Anyway, people complain at me all the time about other stuff in the diet sodas, but it's only temporary. Not shocking your body and giving up everything all at once. The sugar is the #1 enemy, so focusing on that first is a huge help.

3) I eat a lot of eggs. They are like a superfood and have so many nutrients. A lot of what they think about cholesterol is wrong, and the keto diet explains it. But it's a great source of vitamins, minerals, and protein.

4) I tweaked things. My body easily gets used to what I'm doing, so I found out what my weak points are and tweaked them. I would try removing another bad habit. Maybe I would try different types of foods. Don't get stagnant and then bored with your diet. Have fun trying new things with it.

If you want to change your life, it's going to be difficult and you must commit to it 100%. It's okay to make mistakes, but keep jumping right back on and keep trying.

Upvote 0

LoveDivine

May 20, 2015
✟189,055.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Really long post, but this is what I've been studying/doing.

I promise you, hand on the bible, that if you try harder to cut sugar and just eat better overall (more nutrients...maybe invest in a good men's vitamin), you will feel like a million bucks. It will cut BIG TIME into the bad thoughts. The more I research depression, the more I understand chemistry and how they keep pumping preservatives, sugar, and other chemicals into our foods. If you list out each one, most cause depression. They cause people to be lethargic. It's messing with their brain and body chemistry.

Just going outside, in nature, every single day and getting fresh air helps. Practicing breathing techniques and using that to help you get out of a panic or trigger attack. It has helped me a lot to relax when I just take deep breathes and tell myself everything is okay. Exercise will help work toxins out of your muscles and through your sweat. If you're not sweating, you're not trying hard enough.

To burn more calories and just be stronger overall, men should be eating more lean proteins and lifting weights. It doesn't have to be bodybuilding or anything. Just get a few 20 pound weights or even a few gallons of water and keep working out the muscles.

I just told someone this the other day, so I'm sorry if it was you. But the body needs energy to run. Everything we do, from breathing to blinking to talking and moving requires fuel, like a car. But our bodies only know two fuel sources: sugar or fat. When we're getting a low dose of sugar, the body easily processes it. But in our modern diets, there's sugar in EVERYTHING. Even stuff you wouldn't realize sugar would be hiding. Potato chips are addictive. You can open a bad and just scarf the whole thing down without a thought.

That's because of the chemistry. We're addicted to the feel-good feelings we get when we eat it. It's comfort for us. Because we're getting an abundance of sugar, we have more in our systems than our bodies can handle and can be processed, our bodies think like the farmer who had a large crop, more than he needs.

Back in the old times, it was feast or famine. People didn't have supermarkets stuffed with food 12 months out of the year, and if the crops failed, it was tough on everyone. So, the body knows, when there's an abundance, store some of it up for later. That excess sugar gets turned into fat, expecting to be used later. But, in modern times, we're not out in the fields working anymore. We're not on our feet most of the day like we used to be. We're behind computer screens or on the couch most of the time.

We're eating more food, bad food, and exercising less. Voila, obesity epidemic. People can't lose weight because they are literally addicted to the sugar in their food. Everything breaks down into sugar if it's carbs, breads, pastas, etc. Again, potatoes and breads were good back in the day when we would burn it off easy. But today, that access is turned into sugar and then stored as fat.

What people are finding out today is, the other fuel source the body can use instead of sugar, is fat. When you starve the body of sugar, you'll withdraw for a few days, maybe even up to a week. That week might be torture and it feels like you're having a flu. But, when you get rid of the sugar, your body goes into ketosis. That means it switches from using sugar as a fuel source, to fat. All the fat that the body has stored up starts to become the fuel. And the engines start revving and the fat falls FAST.

The Keto diet (for ketosis) has really been the best for me. I felt like a million bucks emotionally. I had a ton of energy and life was great. The brain fog was gone. I was losing weight. I got off the diet because eating more proteins is more expensive than buying a case of Ramen when times got tough.

As you know, my knee is still pretty bad off, so I haven't really been exercising this year. This is what I've done specifically.

1) I skip breakfast. It's not difficult for me to wait until noon to eat my first meal of the day. They call that intermittent fasting. Some people do it differently, but I've heard others say that by prolonging your fast (you're technically fasting at night when you sleep), it helps your body process more of that sugar without more being added. It saves you those calories. You can still eat a bigger meal at night.

2) Switched to Coke zero when I need a soda. I know how difficult it is to kick pop. I realized it wasn't the sugar for me, but the fizzy goodness of it. Carbonated water tastes like carbonated water. That's like watered down water. Bleh. Anyway, people complain at me all the time about other stuff in the diet sodas, but it's only temporary. Not shocking your body and giving up everything all at once. The sugar is the #1 enemy, so focusing on that first is a huge help.

3) I eat a lot of eggs. They are like a superfood and have so many nutrients. A lot of what they think about cholesterol is wrong, and the keto diet explains it. But it's a great source of vitamins, minerals, and protein.

4) I tweaked things. My body easily gets used to what I'm doing, so I found out what my weak points are and tweaked them. I would try removing another bad habit. Maybe I would try different types of foods. Don't get stagnant and then bored with your diet. Have fun trying new things with it.

If you want to change your life, it's going to be difficult and you must commit to it 100%. It's okay to make mistakes, but keep jumping right back on and keep trying.
I followed the keto eating style this summer and had really good results. I was able to get the last few stubborn pounds off. I actually didn’t miss the sugar after the first few days. I didn’t find it a sustainable diet for the long term (for me personally ). I like to run and it’s just not very easy or possible to run regularly without carbs. While I was on the diet, I focused more on my eating and took a break from running. Now that I’m back to running, I am eating carbs again. So, I think it’s a great diet to lose weight (especially if you have a lot of excess weight to shed ), but may need to be modified once you are in maintenance or working out more intensely. It seems to be working well for you right now though :)

Reactions: Saucy
Upvote 0

Saucy

King of CF
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2005
Michigan
✟837,854.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I followed the keto eating style this summer and had really good results. I was able to get the last few stubborn pounds off. I actually didn’t miss the sugar after the first few days. I didn’t find it a sustainable diet for the long term (for me personally ). I like to run and it’s just not very easy or possible to run regularly without carbs. While I was on the diet, I focused more on my eating and took a break from running. Now that I’m back to running, I am eating carbs again. So, I think it’s a great diet to lose weight (especially if you have a lot of excess weight to shed ), but may need to be modified once you are in maintenance or working out more intensely. It seems to be working well for you right now though :)
True! It does depend on what your goals are. Those in great shape and are running or working out constantly eat tons and tons if carbs and calories. That's fuel for what they do. I think The Rock eats between 5,000-10,000 calories per day.

• Agree
Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Agree.

The very low carb diet, is fine for folks who are sedentary. The more physically active one is and especially so with higher end exercise, you perform much better with some carbs in the mix.

Upvote 0

CodyFaith

Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2016
Canada
✟158,594.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Back on the ball weight training wise, took about 2 weeks off partly due to a cold and partly due to other reasons. My eating wasn't the best either.

I thought about taking boxing or muay thai up recently... it's been on my mind for a while now, not to compete rather just for a fun way to stay in shape. I was in boxing as a young teen and enjoyed it.

We'll see.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ImAllLikeOkWaitWat

For who can resist his will?
Aug 18, 2015
✟328,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

True! It does depend on what your goals are. Those in great shape and are running or working out constantly eat tons and tons if carbs and calories. That's fuel for what they do. I think The Rock eats between 5,000-10,000 calories per day.

Agree.

The very low carb diet, is fine for folks who are sedentary. The more physically active one is and especially so with higher end exercise, you perform much better with some carbs in the mix.

I guess none of you have read this book.
https://www.amazon.com/Art-Science-...words=the+art+and+science+of+low+carbohydrate

The keto-adapted athlete benefits from superior fuel flow not only when nearing glycogen depletion, but also during training, recovery, and in response to resistance exercise as well.

Fuelsource.jpg

Even in a very lean athlete, the total amount of energy stored as fat will typically be more than 20 times the maximum level of carbohydrate stored in the body. Thus, whereas vigorous exercise can deplete glycogen reserves in just a few hours, when adapted to burning primarily fat, this thin athlete has enough fat to fuel several days of exercise.

Phinney, Stephen. The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance

So basically when you eat a ketogenic diet you have access to 20 times the fuel as a high carb diet and have access to energy that lasts for days not hours.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Travelers.Soul

Traveler; Dreamer; Warrior; Coffee lover
Aug 15, 2010
Land of the Horse
✟132,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Did a sort of reset today. Due to a lot of craziness in my life lately my eating hasn't been so great but today that stopped, even when offered mozzarella stuffed mushrooms I said no. I had my two shakes and some yogurt plus a lot of water. OH also....we bought a ZeroWater fliter and we LOVE IT! It has saved us soooooo much money.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I guess none of you have read this book.
https://www.amazon.com/Art-Science-...words=the+art+and+science+of+low+carbohydrate

The keto-adapted athlete benefits from superior fuel flow not only when nearing glycogen depletion, but also during training, recovery, and in response to resistance exercise as well.

View attachment 216107

Even in a very lean athlete, the total amount of energy stored as fat will typically be more than 20 times the maximum level of carbohydrate stored in the body. Thus, whereas vigorous exercise can deplete glycogen reserves in just a few hours, when adapted to burning primarily fat, this thin athlete has enough fat to fuel several days of exercise.

Phinney, Stephen. The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance

So basically when you eat a ketogenic diet you have access to 20 times the fuel as a high carb diet and have access to energy that lasts for days not hours.

Valid points, but mobilizing fat for energy, can be difficult as exercise intensity is higher, where carbohydrates are more readily available.

For folks who are moderate endurance athletes, ketosis is more sustainable, if the person has the discipline to remain in ketosis.

Upvote 0

ImAllLikeOkWaitWat

For who can resist his will?
Aug 18, 2015
✟328,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Valid points, but mobilizing fat for energy, can be difficult as exercise intensity is higher, where carbohydrates are more readily available.

For folks who are moderate endurance athletes, ketosis is more sustainable, if the person has the discipline to remain in ketosis.

Sure I do think high carb is better for things that require short bursts of energy. If endurance doesn't matter then high carb would be best. If stamina matters then keto is usually better for long periods of activity.

I just think people assume, well I'm exercising so I need to eat a lot of carbs for energy when I think that type of thinking is just outdated. The energy you get from carbohydrates isn't very stable anyways.

Soccer is a clear example of an activity in which keto is perfect.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Sure I do think high carb is better for things that require short bursts of energy. If endurance doesn't matter then high carb would be best. If stamina matters then keto is usually better for long periods of activity.

I just think people assume, well I'm exercising so I need to eat a lot of carbs for energy when I think that type of thinking is just outdated. The energy you get from carbohydrates isn't very stable anyways.

Soccer is a clear example of an activity in which keto is perfect.

Why would soccer be a good example? Soccer requires short bursts of all out efforts, followed by less intense activity and available carbs are needed for these high intensity bursts.

Keto is fine for someone performing a steady state prolonged activity, of moderate intensity.

Upvote 0

Multifavs

Daughter of God
Site Supporter
May 28, 2017
USA
✟151,182.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Still doing pretty good about getting some exercise every day! Since I can't get motivated to spend an hour on it at once, I split my exercise into half an hour twice a day instead. It helps!

Upvote 0