United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I find this verse rather interesting.
Paul says here that ALL those in Asia had turned from him! Is that the only geographical area that totally "rejected" Paul?

NKJV) 2 Timothy 1:15 This you know, that all those in Asia have turned away from me, among whom are Phygellus and Hermogenes.

Reve 1:11 also shows that all the 7 assemblies are in Asia....Interesting

Revelation 1:11 `I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last;' and `What thou dost see, write in a scroll and send to the seven assemblies that [are] in Asia;
to Ephesus, and to Smyrna, and to Pergamos, and to Thyatira, and to Sardis, and to Philadelphia, and to Laodicea.'

Reactions: brinny

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,307.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
So, what you you saying? That Paul was a hertic?

Of course not, was Jesus a heretic?

Matthew 26:31
Then Jesus said to them, “You will all fall away because of me this night. For it is written, ‘I will strike the shepherd, and the sheep of the flock will be scattered.’

Mark 14:27
And Jesus said to them, “You will all fall away, for it is written, ‘I will strike the shepherd, and the sheep will be scattered.’

Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I was more wondering if "asia" means something in the sense that the name "david" and "jesus" (i.e. "jesus" means "Yah is salvation" or "Yah saves") means something. just as many countries and names in the old testament mean something.

well I did a quick search and it is said by some random website that the greek word for asia means "sunrise"

so now I wonder what the words Ephesus, Smyrna, Pergamos, Thyatira, Sardis, Philadelphia, and Laodicea all mean.

I only know that "philadelphia" means "brotherly love"

and so i can already begin to understand how that revelation is addressed to all the churches instead of reading it according to the letter and thinking that the book of revelation is only addressed to 7 certain churches in the past. there are with out a doubt other clues that the book of revelation is not a book that should be seen as a historical book, but rather as a mystical book.

heck if anyone wants further proof then I could be bold and say that paul only wrote to 7 specific churchs in his letters for spiritual reasons. but then again people would trip on that if they understood the bible according to the letter only.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Harry3142

Apr 9, 2006
Ohio
✟20,229.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
II Timothy was written only a very short time before St. Paul's execution. He had been released about 2 years earlier from his first imprisonment, where he had lived in a rented house. But since then the catastrophic fire that burned much of Rome had occurred, Nero had blamed the Christians for it when it was known that he himself had ordered the fire set, and now St. Paul was in a dungeon awaiting his fate.

His friends knew that the roman empire had targetted all of them for execution in the most horrific forms, so many of them ran. St. Paul was abandoned by those he had considered to be his friends because they were trying to stay alive themselves, and they knew that in order to succeed at staying alive they had to get as far away from Rome as they could. This abandonment had nothing to do with theology; it had to do with their own survival, just as Jesus' apostles abandoned him in order to save themselves.

Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
even paul himself ran away at times. running away does not always mean that you are denying Christ. if a christian is not willing to die for Jesus then Jesus is not their Lord. never should we have a wicked heart and deny Jesus and not become a martyr. it just depends on where God leads you and if your heart is clean or not. not everyone is worthy of martyrdom.

Upvote 0

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,307.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
II Timothy was written only a very short time before St. Paul's execution. He had been released about 2 years earlier from his first imprisonment, where he had lived in a rented house. But since then the catastrophic fire that burned much of Rome had occurred, Nero had blamed the Christians for it when it was known that he himself had ordered the fire set, and now St. Paul was in a dungeon awaiting his fate.

His friends knew that the roman empire had targetted all of them for execution in the most horrific forms, so many of them ran. St. Paul was abandoned by those he had considered to be his friends because they were trying to stay alive themselves, and they knew that in order to succeed at staying alive they had to get as far away from Rome as they could. This abandonment had nothing to do with theology; it had to do with their own survival, just as Jesus' apostles abandoned him in order to save themselves.

interesting post.:)

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
even paul himself ran away at times. running away does not always mean that you are denying Christ. if a christian is not willing to die for Jesus then Jesus is not their Lord. never should we have a wicked heart and deny Jesus and not become a martyr. it just depends on where God leads you and if your heart is clean or not. not everyone is worthy of martyrdom.
So did Jonah :D

Rotherham) Jonah 1:1 And the word of Yahweh came unto Jonah son of Amittai, saying:
2 Arise, get thee to Nineveh the great city, and proclaim unto it,--that their wickedness, hath come up, before me.
3 But Jonah arose to flee unto Tarshish, away from the presence of Yahweh,--and went down to Joppa,

And according to Acts 16, the Holy Spirit forbade Saul/Paul from going into Asia. Interesting

Young) Acts 16:6 and having gone through Phrygia and the region of Galatia, having been forbidden by the Holy Spirit to speak the word in Asia,

http://www.christianforums.com/t6739253/
Jonah, Jesus and Paul

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

heymikey80

Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum viditur
Dec 18, 2005
✟34,309.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Paul says here that ALL those in Asia had turned from him! Is that the only geographical area that totally "rejected" Paul?
Dunno, but the rejection was pretty general in Judea (Acts 21).

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,339,865.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

My heart goes out to Paul for ALL he had to endure. His history of fighting the good fight unto death should get its due.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,286.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

NKJV) 2 Timothy 1:15 This you know, that all those in Asia have turned away from me, among whom are Phygellus and Hermogenes.

Revelation 1:11 `I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last;' and `What thou dost see, write in a scroll and send to the seven assemblies that [are] in Asia;
to Ephesus, and to Smyrna, and to Pergamos, and to Thyatira, and to Sardis, and to Philadelphia, and to Laodicea.'

Well .. it appears even John was having trouble with those guys .

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Well .. it appears even John was having trouble with those guys .
It would appear that James did also :sorry:

Search for 'Genesis 1:1' in the version

NKJV) Acts 12:1 Now about that time Herod the king stretched out [his] hand to harass some from the church.
2 Then he killed James the brother of John with the sword.
3 And because he saw that it pleased the Jews, he proceeded further to seize Peter also. Now it was [during] the Days of Unleavened Bread.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

cyberlizard

the electric lizard returns
Jul 5, 2007
chesterfield, UK
Visit site
✟25,055.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married

it is always good to see a post which seeks to place the historical backdrop for the pirctures as often times without it, the scriptures as you rightly point out in this instance make little 'theological' sense.

Steve

Upvote 0

brinny

Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,339,865.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

I'm wondering if he meant some believers in Asia....not sure what "all of Asia" means......apparently they were still very much in extistence when John was instructed to write what he wrote, and they were recognized by Jesus to still be churches......this is quite deep, amigo, gotta munch on it for a while....interesting though, comparing both verses. Makes ya wanna study it some more.....

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Originally Posted by LittleLambofJesus I find this verse rather interesting.
I'm wondering if he meant some believers in Asia....not sure what "all of Asia" means......apparently they were still very much in extistence when John was instructed to write what he wrote, and they were recognized by Jesus to still be churches......this is quite deep, amigo, gotta munch on it for a while....interesting though, comparing both verses. Makes ya wanna study it some more.....
Forgot all about this thread until I saw anti-Paul threads showing up.
I will have to look into that more myself brinny.
Thks for responding

Upvote 0

brinny

Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,339,865.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

This is soooooooo sad. Paul had all kinds of rejection, didn't he?

Upvote 0