Jun 20, 2002
western prairies
Visit site
✟6,941.00
Faith
Christian
Hi forum,

2 Thess 2
6And now you know what is holding him back, so that he may be revealed at the proper time. 7For the secret power of lawlessness is already at work; but the one who now holds it back will continue to do so till he is taken out of the way.

What do you all make of the present tense of the holding back of this man of lawlessness?

Who considers the man of lawlessness to be some specific human? And why?

The one who is holding him back. Is he the one who will be taken out of the way or is it the man of lawlessness that will be taken out of the way?

How do you all read these verses?
9The coming of the lawless one will be in accordance with the work of Satan displayed in all kinds of counterfeit miracles, signs and wonders, 10and in every sort of evil that deceives those who are perishing. They perish because they refused to love the truth and so be saved.

I'd appreciate comments on all of this or even on the parts of it that interest you.

Thanks

Justme

Justme

Senior Veteran
Jun 20, 2002
western prairies
Visit site
✟6,941.00
Faith
Christian
Hi Vin,

So you're telling me the man of lawlessness is being held back in Daniel's time?

If that was the case the great rebellion could occur any time or I guess the great tribulation would actually be over before Jesus even predicted it, and not be restricted as 2 Thess 2 says here:

3Don't let anyone deceive you in any way, for that day will not come until the rebellion occurs and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the man doomed to destruction.

JUstme

Upvote 0

The Julikenz

God is not a misogynist
May 17, 2004
Sydney.
✟17,969.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
hey man.. im jazel.. im pretty new to this site and i believe God has called me here to discuss, talk, rebuke, be rebuked, exhort, be exhorted, etc. i had this really mad bible study of thesalonians one and two not so long ago and made a lot of notes about it.ill get back to ya in five.. cya dude

Upvote 0

The Julikenz

God is not a misogynist
May 17, 2004
Sydney.
✟17,969.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
well , one of the mail reasons this is written in present tense is coz wen paul rote it , it was a letter. He didnt know it would become a part of the bible. However this by no means takes away the importance of present tense.We are always in a battle of the spiritual war... Christianity isnt something u do one day and then have a break, then maybe wen things fall part, you go back to, but something that God calls our whole attention and focus to every single day. We are constantly fighting off attack from Satan to persecvere in a world dominated by evil. Ephesians 6:12: "FOR WE DONOT WRESTLE AGAINST FLESH AND BLOOD, BUT AGAINST PRINCIPALITIES, AGAINST POWERS, AGAIMST THE RULERS OF THE DARKNESS OF THIS AGE, AGAINST SPIRITUAL HOSTS OF WICKEDNESS IN THE HEAVENLY PLACES" As you know, God came to earth as Jesus (God in person, part of the trinity) so that He could lay down his life to make a way for us to be reconcilled with God. after that, there was nothing more God needed to do for his revival to start. Becasue He gave free will fom the start evil entered, but we need free will to love something, or its not really love.
Any way im getting a bit side tract here..lol....but back to 2thess. The coming of the lawless one vs 9, 10 As God planned Jesus, the almight one of all, sent to Visually dipict God in all righteousness, Satan is also Planning hie Evil one, evil in everyway(vs9,10) to fulfill john 10:10 "the theif comwes only to stela ,kill and destroy"
now if u look at todays False Prophets eg benny hinn, he appears to be godly, and spreading a good message, but he is really sent by satan as a false prophet, greedy for money. you know a christian by its fruits, their is no righteousness in selfish, greedy, deceptive ways. now all these prophets of today do is alow satan to reside in them and use his demons to DECIEVE, you know, the guy fall backards and everyone claps? yerr well these are minor , minor things, Satans man of perdition is going to have mastered every single mannerism of satan, as Jesus did God, only satan is tryiong to kill us all eternally HENCE JOHN10:10 . it reads in verse ten of 2 thess 2 that "and with all unrighteous deception amoung those who perish because they did not recieve the love of truth, that they might be saved" i like this... i didnt understand it originally, untill i properly read verse 11 "and for this reason God will send them strong delusion thats they should believe a lie, 12 that they should all believe the truth but had pleasure in unrighteousness" because they rejected God, He'll reject them, does this not affirm Luke 12:8-9:" Also i say to you, whoever confesses me before man, him the son of man, will also confess before the angels of God.But he who denys Me before men, will be denied before the angels of God." and also mark 8:38. as for the man of lawlessness and being specifically human, well satan is an imitator of God, he seeks to be him , remeber revelation 12:7, and isiah 14, so he will use Gods wisdom to decieve and thus man decieves man as Jesus (man)
saves man. WEe should pray the Lord of the harvest sends more labourers andd guards us from the evil one. We should pray the Gospel go on swift winds to be Glorified in all people in all lands. We should submiit to the Lords will and serve Him! :pray: :bow: :prayer:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

inhimitrust

May 17, 2004
Texas
✟837.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Justme said:
Hi Vin,

So you're telling me the man of lawlessness is being held back in Daniel's time?

If that was the case the great rebellion could occur any time or I guess the great tribulation would actually be over before Jesus even predicted it, and not be restricted as 2 Thess 2 says here:

3Don't let anyone deceive you in any way, for that day will not come until the rebellion occurs and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the man doomed to destruction.

JUstme
If this is figurative for a "man", I would say it is figuratively "Esau", or "Ahab". God compared the priest and religeous rulers to Sodom and Gomorrah (Isaiah 1). Most of the prophecies in the OT are against the House of Judah, who were the guardians and keepers of God's temple. SO Christ was sent to save God's lost sheep from them. Christ and the apostles were kept safe until they finished their ministry, and soon after Paul died, Jerusalem fell. Him, John, and Paul all referred to the religious rulers as "satan". Judas Escariot was a "title", and his name meant "Judah", and this is who betrayed and turned against Christ.
Of course, they were taken out in 70ad (Christ's enemies were indeed made His footstool). But this was more to show the power and might of God and to prove what Christ was actually saying was from God and that He was indeed sent by God.

Malachi 1:1 The burden of the word of the LORD to Israel by Malachi. 2 " I have loved you," says the LORD. "Yet you say, 'In what way have You loved us?' [Was] not Esau Jacob's brother?" Says the LORD. "Yet Jacob I have loved; 3 But Esau I have hated, And laid waste his mountains and his heritage For the jackals of the wilderness."

romans 9:13 As it is written, "Jacob I have loved, but Esau I have hated."

Hebrew 12:14 Pursue peace with all [people,] and holiness, without which no one will see the Lord: 15 looking carefully lest anyone fall short of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up cause trouble, and by this many become defiled; 16 lest there [be] any fornicator or profane person like Esau, who for one morsel of food sold his birthright.

11 And for this reason God will send them strong delusion, that they should believe the lie, 12 that they all may be condemned who did not believe the truth but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

1 king 22:20 "And the LORD said, 'Who will persuade Ahab to go up, that he may fall at Ramoth Gilead?' So one spoke in this manner, and another spoke in that manner. 21 "Then a spirit came forward and stood before the LORD, and said, 'I will persuade him.' 22 "The LORD said to him, 'In what way?' So he said, 'I will go out and be a lying spirit in the mouth of all his prophets.'....... 37 So the king died, and was brought to Samaria. And they buried the king in Samaria. 38 Then [someone] washed the chariot at a pool in Samaria, and the dogs licked up his blood while the harlots bathed, according to the word of the LORD which He had spoken. .

2kings 9:34 And when he had gone in, he ate and drank. Then he said, "Go now, see to this accursed [woman,] and bury her, for she was a king's daughter." 35 So they went to bury her, but they found no more of her than the skull and the feet and the palms of [her] hands. 36 Therefore they came back and told him. And he said, "This [is] the word of the LORD, which He spoke by His servant Elijah the Tishbite, saying, 'On the plot [of ground] at Jezreel dogs shall eat the flesh of Jezebel; 37 'and the corpse of Jezebel shall be as refuse on the surface of the field, in the plot at Jezreel, so that they shall not say, "Here [lies] Jezebel." ' "

reve 2:20 "Nevertheless I have a few things against you, because you allow that woman Jezebel, who calls herself a prophetess, to teach and seduce My servants to commit sexual immorality and eat things sacrificed to idols. 21 "And I gave her time to repent of her sexual immorality, and she did not repent. 22 "Indeed I will cast her into a sickbed, and those who commit adultery with her into great tribulation, unless they repent of their deeds. 23 "I will kill her children with death, and all the churches shall know that I am He who searches the minds and hearts.

Revelation 3:9 "Indeed I will make [those] of the synagogue of Satan, who say they are Jews and are not, but lie -- indeed I will make them come and worship before your feet, and to know that I have loved you.

revel 18:20:17 'For in one hour such great riches came to nothing.' Every shipmaster, all who travel by ship, sailors, and as many as trade on the sea, stood at a distance 18 "and cried out when they saw the smoke of her burning, saying, 'What [is] like this great city?' 19 "They threw dust on their heads and cried out, weeping and wailing, and saying, 'Alas, alas, that great city, in which all who had ships on the sea became rich by her wealth! For in one hour she is made desolate.' 20 "Rejoice over her, O heaven, and [you] holy apostles and prophets, for God has avenged you on her!"

matth 23:29 "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! Because you build the tombs of the prophets and adorn the monuments of the righteous, 30 "and say, 'If we had lived in the days of our fathers, we would not have been partakers with them in the blood of the prophets.' 31 "Therefore you are witnesses against yourselves that you are sons of those who murdered the prophets. 32 "Fill up, then, the measure of your fathers' [guilt.] 33 "Serpents, brood of vipers! How can you escape the condemnation of hell? 34 "Therefore, indeed, I send you prophets, wise men, and scribes: [some] of them you will kill and crucify, and [some] of them you will scourge in your synagogues and persecute from city to city, 35 "that on you may come all the righteous blood shed on the earth, from the blood of righteous Abel to the blood of Zechariah, son of Berechiah, whom you murdered between the temple and the altar. 36 "Assuredly, I say to you, all these things will come upon this generation. 37 " O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the one who kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to her! How often I wanted to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under [her] wings, but you were not willing! 38 "See! Your house is left to you desolate; 39 "for I say to you, you shall see Me no more till you say, 'Blessed [is] He who comes in the name of the LORD!' "

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.