• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

2 Practical strategies for Christians coping with depression

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,654,449.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A new book, 'Beauty in the Browns,' offers a supportive Christian perspective for those living with depression.

Paul Asay has written reams, but his new book Beauty in the Browns is unlike anything he’s published before. In it, he shares the honest, practical, and occasionally humorous story of his struggle with depression. His message brings understanding support and hopeful solidarity to people dealing with depression.

A writer and entertainment critic, Asay reviews movies for Plugged In, blogs on Patheos.com, has written several books, and writes here on Aleteiatoo. Until writing Beauty in the Browns, he hadn’t shared publicly about his mental health, although he has lived with depression for decades.

“I’ve written books before, but Beauty in the Browns is something way outside my comfort zone in a lot of ways,” he said in an interview with Aleteia. “Even though I’ve dealt with depression on some level for most of my adult life, I’ve never really talked about it—with anyone—until now.”

But something changed when his son was diagnosed with depression too. He said,

The book really sprang out of the realization that my son also struggles with depression. After a really difficult time in his life, which I talk about a bit in the book, I realized that I needed to be more honest and upfront about my own struggles, and to offer him whatever bit of wisdom I might’ve picked up along the way. It was, initially, a book with an audience of one.

As he was writing, Asay realized that the book might be helpful to other people besides his son. “I thought that maybe it might help some others, too,” he said, “those who deal with depression and those who love people who do.”

Continued below.
2 Practical strategies for Christians coping with depression

Rene Loup

Left the pack, joined the flock.
Apr 13, 2020
Canada
✟62,140.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This is what I do, usually in combination with each other:

Rebuke: "In the name of the Lord Jesus Christ... [command spirit to go away]."
Pray: The Lord's Prayer is a good start. This is the model prayer.
Quote Scripture: "It is written...[Bible verses]."
Fasting: Therapy, medication, detoxing, etc... !!! - NEVER DISREGARD THESE!!! - !!!

Sounds crazy, but they are Biblical and have greatly helped me: Acts 16:16-18, Luke 4:1-13, 10:17-20, Mark 9:14-29, Matthew 4:1-11, 6:5-15, 17:14-21, 28:18.

As they say, "There is more than one way to skin a cat!"

• Prayers
Reactions: Tokyo
Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In my life placing faith in the word of God and in His love has been my biggest helper. Faith in God's love, through Jesus Christ, never disappoints.

Keeping our spirit loving, also for self, is what helps enormously as well. Building our life with God's loving truth instead of the bad life depression brings about is the job at hand.

The more we build our reality with His life the stronger against depression we become.

Upvote 0