✟762,013.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
2 Peter 2:1
But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction. (KJB)

Now, I believe this passage is telling us that salvation can be lost. When it states "even denying the Lord that bought them" this would indicate that they were once in a redeemed state of being purchased by His blood and are no longer. This makes sense, because if one actively destroys the faith of another by leading them away from Christ, how would they possibly repay what they have robbed Christ of? We only have 1 soul to give Christ, and if we destroy the souls of others, surely that is the most offensive fruit one can bear here on earth and one is rightly punished with swift destruction.

Agree? Disagree? I would like for this discussion to focus solely on this passage. Thank you.

Additional question: Did Saul of Tarsus destroy the faith of Christians during the early stages of his persecution?

Last edited:

JAYPT

Nov 30, 2018
Western
✟19,563.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
What does it say before That bought them? It says "false prophets" is this believers? No, believers are not false prophets. False teachers, are they saved? No, false teachers are not of the faith. Destruction? Who is going to be destroyed? Unbelievers.

Now if it is about "the master that bought them", Jesus paid for all of our sins, not just a few. Thats the purchase. Not a matter of whether we agree or not, it is not speaking about believers. Not really any discussion needed.

Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟762,013.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
What does it say before That bought them? It says "false prophets" is this believers? No, believers are not false prophets. False teachers, are they saved? No, false teachers are not of the faith. Destruction? Who is going to be destroyed? Unbelievers.

Maybe they could have been true believers but then became false prophets when they gave into seducing spirits and lies and strayed from the faith and then propagated false doctrine?

Now if it is about "the master that bought them", Jesus paid for all of our sins, not just a few. Thats the purchase. Not a matter of whether we agree or not, it is not speaking about believers. Not really any discussion needed.

Is specifically states that the Lord bought them. This would mean they were His purchased possession, no? If you buy something you take possession of it. It belongs to you.

Reactions: ewq1938
Upvote 0

JAYPT

Nov 30, 2018
Western
✟19,563.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Maybe they could have been true believers but then became false prophets when they gave into seducing spirits and lies and strayed from the faith and then propagated false doctrine?

Jesus said that no one can pluck you from His hand. Does He double talk? I would say not. Are you concerned about your salvation?

Is specifically states that the Lord bought them. This would mean they were His purchased possession, no?

In the NASB it says the Master who bought them, who did Jesus pay for? Everyone! It says the the whole world. What saves us is our response to the gospel and agreeing with God. Agreeing that we are sinful and in need of a saviour, Jesus. These people are not agreeing with God, they are deniers.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,874.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
2 Peter 2:1
But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction. (KJB)

Now, I believe this passage is telling us that salvation can be lost. When it states "even denying the Lord that bought them" this would indicate that they were once in a redeemed state of being purchased by His blood and are no longer. This makes sense, because if one actively destroys the faith of another by leading them away from Christ, how would they possibly repay what they have robbed Christ of? We only have 1 soul to give Christ, and if we destroy the souls of others, surely that is the most offensive fruit one can bear here on earth and one is rightly punished with swift destruction.

Agree? Disagree? I would like for this discussion to focus solely on this passage. Thank you.

Additional question: Did Saul of Tarsus destroy the faith of Christians during the early stages of his persecution?

You're right that they were Christians who fell away into heresy. It's as old as Christianity itself.

Reactions: ewq1938
Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

A believer can turn into a false teacher denying Christ over time.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Jesus said that no one can pluck you from His hand. Does He double talk? I would say not.

Falling away from Christ is the persons choice to leave. It is not related to someone being unable to pluck them away.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The question of whether you can lose your salvation or not is a huge one, even for these forums. But in context of this scripture alone, this is my take:

Did Jesus pay the price for sin for all mankind? (hint: yes). Paying the price = bought. But we understand we need to appropriate (ie receive) this free gift. Since we are talking about false prophets/teachers here vs just misguided ones, I believe this is saying these false teachers will call themselves Christian but teach Jesus is not the only path to God. (kinda sounds familiar, doesn't it?)

• Informative
Reactions: friend of
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums