✟56,948.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hi Folks :wave:

One of my professors who claims to be a 3 Point Calvinist uses 2 Peter 2:1-15 as a text to support his rejection of particular atonement. I would appreciate your insights into this passage. The professor claims that these false prophets who were bought by the Lord, will be judged and condemned to hell. So what are your thoughts?

2 Peter 2:1-15

[font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]
1 But false prophets also arose among the people, just as there will also be false teachers among you, who will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the Master who bought them, bringing swift destruction upon themselves. 2 Many will follow their sensuality, and because of them the way of the truth will be maligned; 3 and in their greed they will exploit you with false words; their judgment from long ago is not idle, and their destruction is not asleep. 4 For if God did not spare angels when they sinned, but cast them into hell and committed them to pits of darkness, reserved for judgment; 5 and did not spare the ancient world, but preserved Noah, a preacher of righteousness, with seven others, when He brought a flood upon the world of the ungodly; 6 and if He condemned the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah to destruction by reducing them to ashes, having made them an example to those who would live ungodly lives thereafter; 7 and if He rescued righteous Lot, oppressed by the sensual conduct of unprincipled men 8 (for by what he saw and heard that righteous man, while living among them, felt his righteous soul tormented day after day by their lawless deeds), 9 then the Lord knows how to rescue the godly from temptation, and to keep the unrighteous under punishment for the day of judgment, 10 and especially those who indulge the flesh in its corrupt desires and despise authority. Daring, self-willed, they do not tremble when they revile angelic majesties, 11 whereas angels who are greater in might and power do not bring a reviling judgment against them before the Lord. 12 But these, like unreasoning animals, born as creatures of instinct to be captured and killed, reviling where they have no knowledge, will in the destruction of those creatures also be destroyed, 13 suffering wrong as the wages of doing wrong. They count it a pleasure to revel in the daytime. They are stains and blemishes, reveling in their deceptions, as they carouse with you, 14 having eyes full of adultery that never cease from sin, enticing unstable souls, having a heart trained in greed, accursed children; 15 forsaking the right way, they have gone astray, having followed the way of Balaam, the son of Beor, who loved the wages of unrighteousness;​

[/font]

frumanchu

God's justice does not demand second chances
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2003
Ohio
✟62,780.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Jesaiah said:
One of my professors who claims to be a 3 Point Calvinist uses 2 Peter 2:1-15 as a text to support his rejection of particular atonement. I would appreciate your insights into this passage. The professor claims that these false prophets who were bought by the Lord, will be judged and condemned to hell. So what are your thoughts?
The same passage was pointed out to me by an Amyraldian "four-pointer" friend of mine.

Here is something to consider:

“…not the Lord Jesus Christ, but God the Father; for the word (kuriov) is not here used, which always is where Christ is spoken of as the Lord, but (despothv) ; and which is expressive of the power which masters have over their servants {i}, and which God has over all mankind; and wherever this word is elsewhere used, it is spoken of God the Father, whenever applied to a divine person, as in (Luke 2:29) (Acts 4:24) (2 Timothy 2:21) (Revelation 6:10) and especially this appears to be the sense, from the parallel text in (Jude 1:4) where the Lord God denied by those men is manifestly distinguished from our Lord Jesus Christ, and by whom these persons are said to be bought: the meaning is not that they were redeemed by the blood of Christ, for Christ is not intended;” - The New John Gill's Exposition of the Entire Bible (see also James White, http://www.aomin.org/2PE21.html).

Upvote 0

duster1az

Jun 25, 2003
Southwest
Visit site
✟421.00
Faith
Christian
Jesaiah said:
Hi Folks :wave:

[/indent][/size][/font]
I think it proper to consider the totality of chapter two (vss 1-22). This passage is mostly an identification of the teachers of the last days. They allow heresies, discount former judgments, and they forsake the right way. They're likened to a dog and a sow (vs 22), therefore I don't believe the passage to be stating these "false prophets" ever were regenerate.

Just as the best bred dog will return to its vomit and a washed sow will again wallow in the mud because there's been no change in their nature, likewise a person who has the knowledge of the Lord, but not accepted Christ as Savior, will turn from the truth. They've never been born again and received a new nature and become a new creation in Christ. How many, do you suppose, have escaped the worst aspects of this world by being born into a Christian family and having the knowledge of the Lord have never acknowledged their debt by accepting Him as Savior?

We should be able to recognize those unregenerate teachers today.

In Christ,
Tracey

Upvote 0

eldermike

Pray
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2002
NC
Visit site
✟20,209.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
One of the things that has helped me in understanding what seems to be tricky text is always applying the 1 chapter to the remaining ones. James said it best when He said we are like those that look at oursevles in the mirror, then turn away and forget what we just saw. Peter is reminding here, this is not new information, He's just reminding those who are already saved of what is going to happen so they will not become unuseful by following those who were never saved but claim to know the truth.

2PE 1:12 So I will always remind you of these things, even though you know them and are firmly established in the truth you now have.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.