Mar 29, 2016
Taiwan
Visit site
✟97,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I wanted to give a testimony about being filled with the Spirit, but then I wondered if we are all talking about the same thing. I even confused myself by trying to untangle spiritual gifts, the anointing, walking in the spirit, etc.

So after a bit of internet research, I found an explanation that seems reasonable:
The Two Kinds of Spirit Filling – A Thimble-full of Theology for Daily Living

Basically, there is Acts 2:4 sudden anointing for immediate work of the Spirit. (Greek word: pimplemi)

and there is Ephesians 5:18 progressive taking on the moral qualities of the Holy Spirit. (Greek word: pleroo)

I encourage everyone to read the whole article and see if you agree.

Hark

Dec 12, 2021
Pennsylvania
✟16,490.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
I wanted to give a testimony about being filled with the Spirit, but then I wondered if we are all talking about the same thing. I even confused myself by trying to untangle spiritual gifts, the anointing, walking in the spirit, etc.

So after a bit of internet research, I found an explanation that seems reasonable:

Basically, there is Acts 2:4 sudden anointing for immediate work of the Spirit. (Greek word: pimplemi)

Acts 2:4 was when the disciples were saved. Jesus told Nicodemus when the born again of the Spirit would take place which was after His ascension which was to be after His crucifixion.

John 3:7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again. 8 The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit. 9 Nicodemus answered and said unto him, How can these things be? 10 Jesus answered and said unto him, Art thou a master of Israel, and knowest not these things? 11 Verily, verily, I say unto thee, We speak that we do know, and testify that we have seen; and ye receive not our witness. 12 If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you of heavenly things?
13 And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven. 14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: 15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

So after His ascension was when believers would be born again for why His disciples were saved at Pentecost. That way His disciples would speak the same thing in having received the promise of the Spirit by faith in Jesus Christ rather than by sight of Jesus Christ.

Indeed, Jesus told His disciples when that promise from the Father would be sent when He was no longer present with them but have gone to the Father.

John 14:1Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. 2 In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also....... 16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; 17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you....... 25 These things have I spoken unto you, being yet present with you. 26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

Matthew 10th chapter & John 20:22 was not when His disciples were saved but a temporary infilling of the Holy Ghost until the promise of the forever indwelling Holy Spirit would be given by the Father when Jesus was no longer present with them but at the right hand of God the Father.

and there is Ephesians 5:18 progressive taking on the moral qualities of the Holy Spirit. (Greek word: pleroo)

I have not read the article only because i understand the scripture regarding the matter. There can be no receiving the Holy spirit "again" apart from salvation for that would go against the warning about preaching another Jesus or another spirit or another gospel to receive in 2 Corinthians 11:3-4.

Plus Luke 11:9-13 would have the Father looking evil as if He did not give the Holy Spirit the first time as promised at our salvation for believing in Jesus Christ for knocking at the door of Jesus Christ.

There is only one drink of the One Spirit by which we were all baptized by per 1 Corinthians 12:13.

This is so as to align with the new reality when we are born again.

Matthew 9:17 Neither do men put new wine into old bottles: else the bottles break, and the wine runneth out, and the bottles perish: but they put new wine into new bottles, and both are preserved.

That means we are always filled with the Person of the Holy Spirit as a testimony from God that we are saved and that we shall be held accountable for what we sow towards; the works of the flesh or the fruits of the Spirit whereas in the case of Ephesians 5:18, this is a call to remain sober this remain filled with all the fruits of the Holy spirit rather than sow to the works of the flesh like wine in excess where drunkenness is a result thus no longer sober.

If there was no avoiding drunkenness by avoiding excess of wine; then one could apply that verse to mean it was about seeking a continual filling of the Holy Spirit but that was not the whole verse and therefore cannot be taken in that way although many do, to explain the extra phenomenon in the life of a saved believer, thus believing every spirit that comes over them apart from salvation to be of God when it is not. This is the falling away from the faith prophesied in 1 Timothy 4:1-2 & what Paul was talking about n 2 Thessalonians 2:1-3 as it was already at work in Paul's days in 2 Thessalonians 2:7 as it was indeed a lie of Satan for a believer to believe they can receive the Holy Spirit again apart from salvation for why God permit the strong delusion to occur in 2 Thessalonians 2:9-12. The proof that is the lie can be seen by Paul reminding believers of the tradition taught of us for the only time we shall receive the sanctification of the Spirit & the belief of the truth will be at the calling of the gospel and no other time; 2 Thessalonians 2:13-15

Do consider that avoiding any other works of the flesh is not a call to seek to be filled with the Spirit like abstaining from fornication ( sex before Marriage ). So to avoid drunkenness by not getting drunk with wine in excess is to remain filled with the fruit of the Spirit called temperance which is self control.

Believers who get drunk cannot seek the Holy Spirit to fill them again to remove the drunkenness and so believers should not think Ephesians 5:18 is about seeking to be filled with the Spirit when it is about avoiding drunkenness by not drinking wine in excess thus remaining filled with the Holy Spirit per that fruit of temperance which is self control.

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟163,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
For the people who can't look where they are going,...

This thread is in the Spirit-filled forum section. Any posts against the gifts of The Spirit or posts degrading church leaders in a demeaning way are prime candidates for reporting,.... your move.

Now that that is out of the way, here are the steps in faith,...

- We are sealed with The Holy Spirit when we are born again. This is our actual immersion into the forgiveness of our sins since The Holy Spirit applies the blood of Jesus to our human spirits and we are regenerated/born again. We receive a changed nature inside as well as the fruits of The Holy Spirit.

- We are then water immersed, which declares physically what has already happened to us spiritually.

- Third we seek the filling of The Holy Spirit inside of our human spirit, which then gives us greater insight into the scriptures, a closer walk with GOD, and the gifts of The Holy Spirit being placed within us.

- Fourth we seek His Spiritual anointing upon our heads. This is the spiritual application of the OT anointing example. This was what Jesus received after his fasting and temptation in the wilderness. With this The Holy Spirit rests upon us in power, and operates the greater giftings, such as the gifts of healings, the working of miracles, and the gift of faith. This is the true empowerment for service just like the example that Jesus gave us.

In answer to the OP's link,.. there is only one filling of The Holy Spirit, and it is a tangible experience like being born again was a tangible experience. The example that Jesus gave us is to be followed by us, His newborn disciples.

Upvote 0

Hark

Dec 12, 2021
Pennsylvania
✟16,490.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
For the people who can't look where they are going,...

This thread is in the Spirit-filled forum section. Any posts against the gifts of The Spirit or posts degrading church leaders in a demeaning way are prime candidates for reporting,.... your move.

Thank you for the heads up, but I am the one saying every born again believer is always Spirit-filled since they were saved and I used Matthew 9:17 as proof of that.

Now I ask you when you speak of another drink of the One Spirit by which we were all baptized by, are you not deferring from 1 Corinthians 12:13 that we all are suppose to share in like testimony?

Why would God show partiality to some and not all believers if there was another drink?

How can one say 2 Corinthians 11:3-4 does not apply when it is a warning to Christians?

Scripture cannot go against scripture and there can be no lie of the truth, right? I am open to corrections by the scripture but so far, believes refer to their personal experiences rather than edification or confirmation by the scripture.

So basically those who had an extra drink are the ones separating from those that had only one drink as it appears to me. I do not believe I am being unreasonable in pointing that out.

But I am sharing what I believe you all share with me and that is only one drink of the One Spirit that we were baptized into by which happened at our salvation moment when we first believed in the gospel.

Mayhap you can find the more correct wordings in explaining this and yet keep that faith you & I are suppose to share.

Now that that is out of the way, here are the steps in faith,...

- We are sealed with The Holy Spirit when we are born again. This is our actual immersion into the forgiveness of our sins since The Holy Spirit applies the blood of Jesus to our human spirits and we are regenerated/born again. We receive a changed nature inside as well as the fruits of The Holy Spirit.

I do point out that you acknowledge the receiving of the fruits of the Spirit at salvation too. Or do you wish to clarify that point?

- We are then water immersed, which declares physically what has already happened to us spiritually.

I am not aware of any scripture testifying to water immersion for that water baptism but I am aware that water baptism is a requirement for new believers to do as His disciples.

- Third we seek the filling of The Holy Spirit inside of our human spirit, which then gives us greater insight into the scriptures, a closer walk with GOD, and the gifts of The Holy Spirit being placed within us.

A question then; 1 Corinthians 12:4-14 testify about the gifts of the Spirit and yet still maintains only one drink of the One Spirit by how we were all baptized by and so the gifts were already given. There is no need for seeking to be filled again to get any gift of the Spirit so it just doesn't align here. Unless you have something ese in scripture, but I have not seen any call to seek another filling of the Spirit in order to get any gift.

- Fourth we seek His Spiritual anointing upon our heads. This is the spiritual application of the OT anointing example. This was what Jesus received after his fasting and temptation in the wilderness. With this The Holy Spirit rests upon us in power, and operates the greater giftings, such as the gifts of healings, the working of miracles, and the gift of faith. This is the true empowerment for service just like the example that Jesus gave us.

How do you apply this reference which testifies of us receiving power at our salvation.

John 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: 13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

In answer to the OP's link,.. there is only one filling of The Holy Spirit, and it is a tangible experience like being born again was a tangible experience. The example that Jesus gave us is to be followed by us, His newborn disciples.

So what happens when that tangible experience happens again and again and again?

A pastor that I used to work with at Wal-Mart says he was reading a book about 3 baptisms of the Holy Ghost, Then he went on to impress me that he believes there are 5 baptisms of the Holy Ghost.

I still believe there is only one baptism that you & I are all baptized by and they really do not know what that other phenomenon was about, but just wanting to believe it was of God. What do I see it do? It moves believers from resting in Jesus Christ as if they are not complete in Him and so they seek another calling. I am not sure how you can defend them against that charge.

Colossians 5:5 For though I be absent in the flesh, yet am I with you in the spirit, joying and beholding your order, and the stedfastness of your faith in Christ. 6 As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in him: 7 Rooted and built up in him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving. 8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ. 9 For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. 10 And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:

Once again, I remind you & every one reading that I am Spirit-filled since salvation at the calling of the gospel & the gifts of the Spirit are still present today, especially for discerning of spirits by the scripture which seems to be lacking in most churches in my obsevation.

So I ask the question again, if you believe there is only one other filling of the Spirit apart from salvation, what happens when someone else testify to a 3rd drink, a 4th drink, and so on and so on?

If you put your foot down on the 3rd drink, and yet you go by tangible experiences, then I am not sure you can correct anyone by the discerning of those spirits as no more after the 2nd drink.

Maybe you can explain this better to me but so far, nobody bothered as I am pointing to scripture for why I cannot believe there is another drink. I believe it is real and tangible as other believers testify, but scripture says to me that it is not of Him at all as those that testify otherwise would have a hard time aligning scripture with their walk in the Lord in favor of speaking of that other drink of the Spirit.

Here is another verse;

John 6:35 And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst. KJV

Now if you agree that verse is about salvation moment when believing in Him, then how can we hunger or thirst for more after salvation? How can we seek to be filled again when He promised we would never seek to be filled again after coming to & believing in Him?

See my concern?

Upvote 0

Hark

Dec 12, 2021
Pennsylvania
✟16,490.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
Your questions are all over the place.

Maybe pick just one question and answer that one? And then in another post, if you see another question that you can answer, then go for that one.

1 Peter 3:15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:

But if you see that you do not have an answer to any of those questions right now, maybe later on, God will give you an answer or God may raise someone else up to answer one or all of my questions.

Thank you for participating. The only way iron can sharpen iron when we edify one another in Christ's love. I know we all prophesy in part & know in part, and wisdom can come from the Lord at any time.

So let us hope in the Lord Jesus Christ to minister to us in the truth in His words to bear fruit & that our joy may be full in living as His disciples.

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟163,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Maybe pick just one question and answer that one? And then in another post, if you see another question that you can answer, then go for that one.

1 Peter 3:15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:

But if you see that you do not have an answer to any of those questions right now, maybe later on, God will give you an answer or God may raise someone else up to answer one or all of my questions.

Thank you for participating. The only way iron can sharpen iron when we edify one another in Christ's love. I know we all prophesy in part & know in part, and wisdom can come from the Lord at any time.

So let us hope in the Lord Jesus Christ to minister to us in the truth in His words to bear fruit & that our joy may be full in living as His disciples.

I was responding to the OP's statement.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I agree this is all over the place. You are overcomplicating this.

Becoming born again requires a simple declaration of faith from the heart that Jesus is our Lord and savior. At that time we "have" the Holy Spirit in us.

Being baptized in the Holy Spirit, sometimes called "filled with the Spirit" requires a simple declaration of faith from the heart giving the Holy Spirit in us permission to use the gifts of the Spirit through us.

The first is in relation to salvation, the second is in relation to ministry. He won't force us into either one.

• Agree
Reactions: hislegacy
Upvote 0

Peter J Barban

Mar 29, 2016
Taiwan
Visit site
✟97,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Acts 2:4 was when the disciples were saved. Jesus told Nicodemus when the born again of the Spirit would take place which was after His ascension which was to be after His crucifixion.

John 3:7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again. 8 The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit. 9 Nicodemus answered and said unto him, How can these things be? 10 Jesus answered and said unto him, Art thou a master of Israel, and knowest not these things? 11 Verily, verily, I say unto thee, We speak that we do know, and testify that we have seen; and ye receive not our witness. 12 If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you of heavenly things?
13 And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven. 14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: 15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

So after His ascension was when believers would be born again for why His disciples were saved at Pentecost. That way His disciples would speak the same thing in having received the promise of the Spirit by faith in Jesus Christ rather than by sight of Jesus Christ.

Indeed, Jesus told His disciples when that promise from the Father would be sent when He was no longer present with them but have gone to the Father.

John 14:1Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. 2 In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also....... 16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; 17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you....... 25 These things have I spoken unto you, being yet present with you. 26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

Matthew 10th chapter & John 20:22 was not when His disciples were saved but a temporary infilling of the Holy Ghost until the promise of the forever indwelling Holy Spirit would be given by the Father when Jesus was no longer present with them but at the right hand of God the Father.

I have not read the article only because i understand the scripture regarding the matter. There can be no receiving the Holy spirit "again" apart from salvation for that would go against the warning about preaching another Jesus or another spirit or another gospel to receive in 2 Corinthians 11:3-4.

Plus Luke 11:9-13 would have the Father looking evil as if He did not give the Holy Spirit the first time as promised at our salvation for believing in Jesus Christ for knocking at the door of Jesus Christ.

There is only one drink of the One Spirit by which we were all baptized by per 1 Corinthians 12:13.

This is so as to align with the new reality when we are born again.

Matthew 9:17 Neither do men put new wine into old bottles: else the bottles break, and the wine runneth out, and the bottles perish: but they put new wine into new bottles, and both are preserved.

That means we are always filled with the Person of the Holy Spirit as a testimony from God that we are saved and that we shall be held accountable for what we sow towards; the works of the flesh or the fruits of the Spirit whereas in the case of Ephesians 5:18, this is a call to remain sober this remain filled with all the fruits of the Holy spirit rather than sow to the works of the flesh like wine in excess where drunkenness is a result thus no longer sober.

If there was no avoiding drunkenness by avoiding excess of wine; then one could apply that verse to mean it was about seeking a continual filling of the Holy Spirit but that was not the whole verse and therefore cannot be taken in that way although many do, to explain the extra phenomenon in the life of a saved believer, thus believing every spirit that comes over them apart from salvation to be of God when it is not. This is the falling away from the faith prophesied in 1 Timothy 4:1-2 & what Paul was talking about n 2 Thessalonians 2:1-3 as it was already at work in Paul's days in 2 Thessalonians 2:7 as it was indeed a lie of Satan for a believer to believe they can receive the Holy Spirit again apart from salvation for why God permit the strong delusion to occur in 2 Thessalonians 2:9-12. The proof that is the lie can be seen by Paul reminding believers of the tradition taught of us for the only time we shall receive the sanctification of the Spirit & the belief of the truth will be at the calling of the gospel and no other time; 2 Thessalonians 2:13-15

Do consider that avoiding any other works of the flesh is not a call to seek to be filled with the Spirit like abstaining from fornication ( sex before Marriage ). So to avoid drunkenness by not getting drunk with wine in excess is to remain filled with the fruit of the Spirit called temperance which is self control.

Believers who get drunk cannot seek the Holy Spirit to fill them again to remove the drunkenness and so believers should not think Ephesians 5:18 is about seeking to be filled with the Spirit when it is about avoiding drunkenness by not drinking wine in excess thus remaining filled with the Holy Spirit per that fruit of temperance which is self control.
It is a mistake to comment on a post that you do not understand because you did not read the link.

Feel free to comment after reading and understanding the linked article.

Responding to your current posts is a waste of time.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟796,066.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Read the article and agree with several points. Studied "...the doctrine of baptisms,..." (Heb 6:2).

There's 3 main baptisms - 3 main immersions

Think this is the filling in his article. Being sealed by the Holy Spirit (Eph 1:13).
1 - By The Holy Spirit into Jesus which reconciles us to God is the baptism for salvation. Baptized by the Holy Spirit into the body of Christ by believing in His death, burial, and resurrection.
(Rev 1:5; Matt 26:28; Mark 1:4-9, 16:16; Luk 3:3; 1 Cor 12:13; Acts 2:38; Gal 3:27, II Cor 5:18).

Water and Spirit baptism follows salvation - not in a set order though
2 - By another believer (water baptism) "... fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness," All 3 persons of the Godhead endorsed it (Matt 3:13-16). (Matt 3:6,11; 28:18-20; Acts 8:39, 10:47, 22:16; John 3:5).

3 - By Jesus who sends the promise of the Father baptists us "by," "with" and "in" the Holy Spirit (The Spirit baptism) includes when the Holy Spirit comes upon us, He endures us with power for service to Him and to keep His Word. (Matt 3:11; Mark 1:8, Luke 3:16; John 1:33, Acts 1:5, 8:14-17, 10:44-48, 11:16; I Cor 12:13, Luk 24:49, Eph 5:18, Acts 4:31; I John 3:24; Eze 36:25-28; John 14:25-27, I Pet 1:22-23).

These baptisms are different yet
"And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one." I John 5:7-8

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Peter J Barban

Mar 29, 2016
Taiwan
Visit site
✟97,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This forum is for Spirit-filled Christians, which I am, but what do we mean by that?

I think it means
-first of all, suddenly annointed by God for spiritual service,

-secondly and more importantly: controlled by the Holy Spirit so that we obey God and produce the fruit of the Spirit,

and finally touched by the Holy Spirit often during worship for personal edification.

What I think is different from Spirit-filled is salvation, spiritual gifts, and baptism- even though those are all works of the Spirit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟163,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Read the article and agree with several points. Studied "...the doctrine of baptisms,..." (Heb 6:2).

There's 3 main baptisms - 3 immersions

Think this is the filling in his article. Being sealed by the Holy Spirit (Eph 1:13).
1 - By The Holy Spirit into Jesus which reconciles us to God is the baptism for salvation. Baptized by the Holy Spirit into the body of Christ by believing in His death, burial, and resurrection.
(Rev 1:5; Matt 26:28; Mark 1:4-9, 16:16; Luk 3:3; 1 Cor 12:13; Acts 2:38; Gal 3:27, II Cor 5:18).

2 - By another believer (water baptism) "... fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness," All 3 persons of the Godhead endorsed it (Matt 3:13-16). (Matt 3:6,11; 28:18-20; Acts 8:39, 10:47, 22:16; John 3:5).

3 - By Jesus who sends the promise of the Father baptists us "by," "with" and "in" the Holy Spirit (The Spirit baptism) includes when the Holy Spirit comes upon us, He endures us with power for service to Him and to keep His Word. (Acts 1:5, 8:14-17, 10:44-48, 11:16; Matt 3:11; Mark 1:8, Luke 3:16; I Cor 12:13, Luk 24:49, Eph 5:18, Acts 4:31; I John 3:24; Eze 36:25-28; John 14:25-27).

"And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one." I John 5:7-8

You've promoted this on here before.

There are only 2 immersions listed in scripture, Holy Spirit immersion (this happens at our born again salvation, where The Holy Spirit applies the blood of Jesus to our human spirits, and we are renewed into His likeness), and water immersion, which is only our declaration physically of what has taken place to us spiritually.

There is not a 3rd immersion listed in scripture. We are called to be "filled" with The Spirit, not immersed again into Him.

Update your information, the people who promoted the 3 baptism doctrinal stance were wrong. It sounded good, but it is wrong nonetheless.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This forum is for Spirit-filled Christians, which I am, but what do we mean by that?

I think it means

-secondly and more importantly: controlled by the Holy Spirit so that we obey God and produce the fruit of the Spirit,

and finally touched by the Holy Spirit often during worship for personal edification.

What I think is different from Spirit-filled is salvation, spiritual gifts, and baptism- those are all works of the Spirit.
Well that is not what Spirit filled is, nor is it consistent with the forum description.

Upvote 0

Peter J Barban

Mar 29, 2016
Taiwan
Visit site
✟97,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here is the forum description:
"Spirit-Filled ... are those who believe that all the various spiritual gifts (or charisms) listed in the New Testament (including but not limited to the manifestations gifts found in I Corinthians 12:8-10) are active in the Church today and desirable in the life of the individual believer, for the edification of the Body of Christ."

I definitely agree with this, and I accept this definition for forum purposes.

I love the gifts, use the gifts and teach the gifts, but when someone asks how to be filled with the Spirit, I don't think believing in Spiritual Gifts is what they want.

I currently want to discuss the Biblical teaching of being filled with the Spirit.

Upvote 0

Hark

Dec 12, 2021
Pennsylvania
✟16,490.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
I agree this is all over the place. You are overcomplicating this.

If God be willing, He shall help me to be simply direct for Him to minister in the hope that iron sharpens iron will commence here..

Becoming born again requires a simple declaration of faith from the heart that Jesus is our Lord and savior. At that time we "have" the Holy Spirit in us.

Being baptized in the Holy Spirit, sometimes called "filled with the Spirit" requires a simple declaration of faith from the heart giving the Holy Spirit in us permission to use the gifts of the Spirit through us.

The first is in relation to salvation, the second is in relation to ministry. He won't force us into either one.

I can only guess to what part of scripture you are referring to; is it Acts 4:1-37 ? If so, when Peter & John were arrested, they were interrupted in the middle of having 5,000 potential new believers from Jewish background in getting saved. After they were released, they went unto their "own company", that very 5,000 potential new believers that were about to be saved. When the potential new believers heard what had happened to Peter & John, it was them that had prayed with one accord that they would speak like Peter & John did and it was then they were saved.

Proof of that is how afterwards, this new community of believers sold everything they had and laid it at the apostles' feet in sharing everything equally among this new community of believers. Hence, they were not that community of new believers before.

So that was salvation interruptus when Peter & John got arrested & then they were saved when they had prayed that they would be like Peter & John in speaking what they now believe in Jesus Christ for.

This scripture below removes the necessity of giving the Holy Spirit permission to speak, let alone pray for that to happen for ministry.

Matthew 10:19 But when they deliver you up, take no thought how or what ye shall speak: for it shall be given you in that same hour what ye shall speak. 20 For it is not ye that speak, but the Spirit of your Father which speaketh in you.

Unless you are referring to another scripture for why you seem to think permission from the heart needs to be given first to the Holy Spirit, Matthew 10:19-20 seems to reprove such notion. As it is, Acts 4:1-37 was the salvation moment for those potential 5,000 new believers as they were not saved before.

Thank you in advance for sharing. I hope in the Lord that my reply was simple enough.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hark

Dec 12, 2021
Pennsylvania
✟16,490.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
It is a mistake to comment on a post that you do not understand because you did not read the link.

Feel free to comment after reading and understanding the linked article.

Responding to your current posts is a waste of time.

I believe you gave the basics for which I was responding to. Reread your OP below. Note the emboldened part where you gave the basics of the article.

I have glanced at the article and ascertained that any references to Acts about being filled with the Spirit is Luke conveying how the disciples were speaking and doing those things so as to remove any doubt that it was just Peter or the disciples that were doing or speaking hose things on their own accord.

Say for example the dusting off of their feet after being thrown out of their coasts and then rejoicing. Readers would wonder if they were nuts because they cannot see in themselves in doing something like that and so Luke conveyed that they were filled with the Spirit for why and how they were doing that. The readers may believe they would be indignant if something like that had happened to them.

Acts 13:48 And when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad, and glorified the word of the Lord: and as many as were ordained to eternal life believed. 49 And the word of the Lord was published throughout all the region. 50 But the Jews stirred up the devout and honourable women, and the chief men of the city, and raised persecution against Paul and Barnabas, and expelled them out of their coasts. 51 But they shook off the dust of their feet against them, and came unto Iconium. 52 And the disciples were filled with joy, and with the Holy Ghost.

So I read Luke conveying "filled with joy and with the Holy Ghost" to express their attitude in how they could have joy after being thrown out of the coasts like that by the Jews. One would think dusting off their feet against them would depict a mean & angry spirit, but verse 52 says otherwise.

If Luke had written it as "led by the Spirit" there would be some doubt how much of that was led by the Spirit, but by writing filled with the Spirit, then there is no room for doubt how they were doing those things.

That is my discernment on the assumptions regarding that phrase "filled with the Spirit" as it cannot be about being supernaturally filled with the Holy Spirit again each time just to minister. That is not happening in any church today in order for the preacher to minster from the pulpit, and so it is not happening back then either. If we are not to pray for the Spirit to minister, then the article falls flat.

So I did respond to your basic summary of the article without reading the article but at your post to me, I did read it at a glance and spotted the usual errant assumption from Acts.

Anyway, I do thank you for your reply, but my contention still stands.

Do you seek a filling of the Holy Spirit every time God wants you to do something or to say something? I would think that if you really apply that article for what you are believing, would you not wonder at times when you had minster or shared the word, did you feel a tangible moment of a supernatural filling before each time you did? I would think not. So what is wrong with this picture?

Upvote 0

Hark

Dec 12, 2021
Pennsylvania
✟16,490.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single

There's 3 main baptisms - 3 immersions

The only one baptism of the Spirit which occurs at the born again of the Spirit moment at our salvation that I agree with.

The words of Jesus about that fulfilling all righteousness is the fulfillment of the prophesy in Isaiah 48:16-17 for when the Lord God & His Spirit sent the God Our Redeemer.

This was not about each and every believer.

Scripture that reproves this are Acts 10:43-48 as the Gentiles had received the Holy Spirit when they heard the word & believed before water baptism and it did not happen again when they were water baptized afterwards.

In Acts 8:5-17 these potential new believers were water baptized in Jesus's name but they had not received the Holy Spirit yet per Acts 8:15-17. Their hearts, along with Simon, was not right with the Lord for they were following Philip out of fanfare. They believed in the "things" Philip was preaching about, but they were coming to him to see the miracles seemingly coming from him & not Jesus. The fact that Simon had thought he could buy the power of laying hands on people in giving them the Holy Ghost shows the errant mentality for which the disciples rebuked him to lift his sights higher.

So there is no second event of a filling of the Holy Spirit at water baptism. When it does happen, that was the actual salvation moment for the Jews when they believed Peter & were saved in Acts 2.

3 - By Jesus who sends the promise of the Father baptists us "by," "with" and "in" the Holy Spirit (The Spirit baptism) includes when the Holy Spirit comes upon us, He endures us with power for service to Him and to keep His Word. (Acts 1:5, 8:14-17, 10:44-48, 11:16; Matt 3:11; Mark 1:8, Luke 3:16; I Cor 12:13, Luk 24:49, Eph 5:18, Acts 4:31; I John 3:24; Eze 36:25-28; John 14:25-27).

The apostle John testify that this power is received when we are saved.

John 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: 13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

There is only one baptism per that one hope of our calling..

Ephesians 4:4 There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling; 5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism, 6 One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

Note how there is only one reference to one drink of the One Spirit by how we were all baptized into the body for and this is in relation to the gifts of the Spirit in how each member of the body works.

1 Corinthians 12:12 For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ. 13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit. 14 For the body is not one member, but many.

This reproves the false notion that believers need to seek another filling of the Holy Spirit in order to get a spiritual gift. Believers need to go before that throne of grace to ask Jesus for a spiritual gift.

Although Paul hyped the gift of prophesy over all spiritual gifts and even explained why in comparing the gift of tongues against the gift of prophesy because tongues is not a stand alone gift that it needs interpretation for that tongue to be fruitful to the tongue speaker, I would think asking for the gift of discerning spirits is required in these latter days where believers are ignoring the warning from the apostle John in 1 John 4:1-6 because they are believing every spirit that comes over them to be of God, when they should be testing those spirits. By knowing Jesus Christ is in us since salvation is how one knows that other spirit is the spirit of the antichrist.

I cannot see how anyone can apply this warning if they believe they can receive the Holy Spirit again.

You all have been Spirit-filled since salvation at the calling of the gospel. To infer another filling is to give another calling and thus another gospel & also ignoring Paul's warning here; 2 Corinthians 11:1-4

My concerns are valid and scriptural. The scripture is why I believe there is only one baptism of the Spirit and that is the tradition taught of us that we are to keep per 2 Thessalonians 2:13-15.

Upvote 0

Peter J Barban

Mar 29, 2016
Taiwan
Visit site
✟97,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe you gave the basics for which I was responding to. Reread your OP below. Note the emboldened part where you gave the basics of the article.

I have glanced at the article and ascertained that any references to Acts about being filled with the Spirit is Luke conveying how the disciples were speaking and doing those things so as to remove any doubt that it was just Peter or the disciples that were doing or speaking hose things on their own accord.

Say for example the dusting off of their feet after being thrown out of their coasts and then rejoicing. Readers would wonder if they were nuts because they cannot see in themselves in doing something like that and so Luke conveyed that they were filled with the Spirit for why and how they were doing that. The readers may believe they would be indignant if something like that had happened to them.

Acts 13:48 And when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad, and glorified the word of the Lord: and as many as were ordained to eternal life believed. 49 And the word of the Lord was published throughout all the region. 50 But the Jews stirred up the devout and honourable women, and the chief men of the city, and raised persecution against Paul and Barnabas, and expelled them out of their coasts. 51 But they shook off the dust of their feet against them, and came unto Iconium. 52 And the disciples were filled with joy, and with the Holy Ghost.

So I read Luke conveying "filled with joy and with the Holy Ghost" to express their attitude in how they could have joy after being thrown out of the coasts like that by the Jews. One would think dusting off their feet against them would depict a mean & angry spirit, but verse 52 says otherwise.

If Luke had written it as "led by the Spirit" there would be some doubt how much of that was led by the Spirit, but by writing filled with the Spirit, then there is no room for doubt how they were doing those things.

That is my discernment on the assumptions regarding that phrase "filled with the Spirit" as it cannot be about being supernaturally filled with the Holy Spirit again each time just to minister. That is not happening in any church today in order for the preacher to minster from the pulpit, and so it is not happening back then either. If we are not to pray for the Spirit to minister, then the article falls flat.

So I did respond to your basic summary of the article without reading the article but at your post to me, I did read it at a glance and spotted the usual errant assumption from Acts.

Anyway, I do thank you for your reply, but my contention still stands.

Do you seek a filling of the Holy Spirit every time God wants you to do something or to say something? I would think that if you really apply that article for what you are believing, would you not wonder at times when you had minster or shared the word, did you feel a tangible moment of a supernatural filling before each time you did? I would think not. So what is wrong with this picture?
The Bible shows people being filled with the Spirit multiple times and I accept that. I don't assume it happened every time they spoke though.

I also have been filled multiple times for ministry, especially when preaching (I just preach once in a while). I am not filled every time and after a while, I tried to downplay it as I felt I was becoming too "resulty" in my preaching. Meaning, I was too focused on my experience before and during preaching rather than delivering the word as a servant. Also, I was too focused on the church being moved by the Spirit during or after the message.

Also, it got to a point where the anointing was so powerful, I could barely hang on to the pulpit to stand and preach while holding back tears. So, I asked God to expand my heart to hold his blessings, and the anointing after that was manageable. Though perhaps God merely reduced the anointing.

These multiple annointings for speaking are what I think the Bible calls being filled with the Spirit. While you might use another term for them, they are real and powerful.

People say that my teaching and public prayers are also anointed as if I am speaking the words of the Holy Spirit.

I could go on but speaking like this usually gets me more trouble than praise.

Upvote 0

Hark

Dec 12, 2021
Pennsylvania
✟16,490.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single

My contention is all born again believers are Spirit filled since salvation per Matthew 9:17 as a testimony from God that we are saved. Therefore we are not a leaky vessel les we deny ourselves as saved.

John 6:35 is why after coming to & believing in Jesus Christ is why we will never thirst nor hunger to be filled again. So there s something wrong with this notion of a continual filling after salvation for why believers need the gift of discerning of spirits rather than just believe every spirit that comes over them is the Holy Spirit.. 1 John 4:1-6 & 2 Corinthians 11:1-4

I think it means

I agree that happens at our salvation moment per John 1:12-13.

-secondly and more importantly: controlled by the Holy Spirit so that we obey God and produce the fruit of the Spirit,[/QUOE]

We are warned not to quench the Spirit from edifying others.

1 Thessalonians 5:19 Quench not the Spirit. 20 Despise not prophesyings.

This does testify the prophets are in self control of their spirits.

1 Corinthians 14:32 And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets. 33 For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

We are warned not to grieve the holy Spirit Who is with us always to the very end.

Ephesians 4:30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.

So there is no losing the Holy Spirit for why there is any need for a filling of the Holy Spirit.

There is a need to avoid sowing to the works of the flesh and to sow towards the fruits of the Spirit but we place our confidence in Jesus Christ to do that.

Philippians 1:6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:.....11 Being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God.

1 John 4:1-4 testify to me that if I feel a physical touch of some spirit outside of me, that is not the real Holy Spirit but the spirit of the antichrist.

What need for the spirit to be felt outside of me other than to take my eyes off of Christ Jesus in worship? Only the spirit of the antichrist ( meaning instead of Christ ) would attempt to do that whereas the real indwelling Holy Ghost would keep my eyes on the Son in worship.

What I think is different from Spirit-filled is salvation, spiritual gifts, and baptism- even though those are all works of the Spirit.

I believe all 3 happens at salvation for why we are complete in Christ after having received Him per Colossians 2:5-10. Again, I believe you & I and everybody else has been always Spirit filled since salvation for why we can rest in Him as omplete and no need to heed another calling or another filling.

Upvote 0

Hark

Dec 12, 2021
Pennsylvania
✟16,490.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
I love the gifts, use the gifts and teach the gifts, but when someone asks how to be filled with the Spirit, I don't think believing in Spiritual Gifts is what they want.

I currently want to discuss the Biblical teaching of being filled with the Spirit.

Responding to the emboldened portion of your quote.

I testify that I have a spiritual gift and it didn't need another filling to get them. 1 Corinthians 12:12-14 testify that there is only one drink of the One Spirit by how we each member of the body was baptized into the body for how we already have a spiritual gift. Just ask Jesus if you want another one.

To be filled with the Spirit is to remain filled with the fruits of the Spirit which is to not sow to the works of the flesh but sow to the fruits of the Spirit by faith in Jesus Christ in doing His work in us per Philippians 1:6-11.

Upvote 0