✟16,046.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
2 Corinthians 6
14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?
15 And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?
16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you.
18 And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.
What does "yoke" in verse 14 mean?

What is this passage really trying to say?

Ceris

I R the Nutness (and I love sedatta )
Mar 10, 2004
California
Visit site
✟20,150.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
In Relationship
A yoke is the cross bar of wood that holds two animals (usually oxen) together and to a plow. The oxen must pull at the same rate and in the same direction for any work to be done. The analogy is that if one is yoked with and unbeliever, they will not pull in the same direction.

Reactions: daveleau
Upvote 0

muffler dragon

Ineffable
Apr 7, 2004
✟24,396.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
tqpix said:
Thank you, Ceris! But, what does the term "Unequally yoked together with unbelievers" mean? (That's what I'm trying to understand.)
It can be looked at in a few different means, but most commonly (anymore) it comes from relationships. I am not sure if this is truly Biblical, but in practice it tends to stand up. It's kind of like the fore-warning of not getting into a committed relationship(such as marriage) with someone who doesn't believe as you do. In this case, should the person not have a belief in G-d and the salvation afforded by the work of Christ. The weight is difficult to overcome, because in many ways the person will be having to do the work of two people. Thus the statement of being yoked together. The believer works toward the Will of G-d, while the unbeliever works to the will of self. The two are together under one yoke of marriage, but are going in divergent paths.

Paul later goes on to talk about prayerful partners 'covering' their spouses, but this is more a matter of trying to help with being positive in all instances. It also probably has more to do with two unbelievers getting married, and then one comes to the saving knowledge of G-d.

Sorry for the rambling and conjecture, but hopefully this will help.

m.d.

Reactions: daveleau
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.