2-3 years later: Parents of 545 children separated at US border still can't be found

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,768.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
ORIGINAL THREAD FROM OCTOBER 2020. Update in post #133 on page 7.

LINK

Lawyers have not been able to reach the parents of 545 children who had been separated from their families by US border officials between 2017 and 2018, according to a Tuesday court filing.

While a federal court order forced the reunification of many of those families, an explosive government watchdog report released last year revealed there could be thousands more who hadn't previously been acknowledged by officials.

A court-appointed "steering committee" has tried to locate those families. As of October 20, the committee has attempted to reach the families of 1,030 children. Of those, the committee has not been able to reach the separated parents of 545 children, according to the court filing.

Oops! Are we the baddies?

Last edited:

MIDutch

Apr 3, 2020
Detroit
✟75,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
LINK

Lawyers have not been able to reach the parents of 545 children who had been separated from their families by US border officials between 2017 and 2018, according to a Tuesday court filing.

While a federal court order forced the reunification of many of those families, an explosive government watchdog report released last year revealed there could be thousands more who hadn't previously been acknowledged by officials.

A court-appointed "steering committee" has tried to locate those families. As of October 20, the committee has attempted to reach the families of 1,030 children. Of those, the committee has not been able to reach the separated parents of 545 children, according to the court filing.

I'm guessing that if it were up to "I don't care, do you?" trump, he would just load them all into buses and then just dump them onto the streets in Tijuana.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

MIDutch

Apr 3, 2020
Detroit
✟75,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
This is no good. If the supporters of this administration have a sliver of integrity, then they will speak up and admit that this is no good.
And risk getting a nasty tweet from the chosen one? No way.

Besides, pro-life doesn't mean pro little brown babies, toddlers and children.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟837,647.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

We can always hope for better, and we should.

• Agree
Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟837,647.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Kudos. You are way more optimistic about trump supporters than I am.

They're Americans, too. I don't understand the unmitigated support, but we have to find a way past this division. It's going to be the end of us if we don't.

• Prayers
Reactions: MIDutch
Upvote 0
Jun 2, 2019
Somewhere
✟30,896.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
.... we have to find a way past this division. It's going to be the end of us if we don't.
THAT'S FOR SURE.

I really detest Donald Trump, but I think I will continue to somewhat support him until there is actually a truly better candidate choice available.

I also think republicans should be a little bit more reasonable and less selfish on immigration.

Upvote 0

MIDutch

Apr 3, 2020
Detroit
✟75,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I really detest Donald Trump, but I think I will continue to somewhat support him until there is actually a truly better candidate choice available.
A can of tomato soup would be a better candidate choice than trump.

Also, these were the candidate choices back in 2016: Ted Cruz, Marco Rubio, John Kasich, Ben Carson, Jeb Bush, Rand Paul, Mike Huckabee, Carly Fiorina, Chris Christie, Jim Gilmore, Rick Santorum. Odd that the Republican Party didn't think there was "actually a truly better candidate choice available" out of that bunch.

As a neutral, I would have been fine with John Kasich, and while I would have disagreed with most of their policies, I would not have feared for the country if Marco Rubio, Jeb Bush, Carly Fiorina, Chris Chrisite or Jim Gilmore would have become the president.

I wouldn't trust Ted Cruz, Ben Carson, Rand Paul, Mike Hucksterbee or Rick Santorum any further than I could throw them, but I don't think any of them could have been any worse for the US than trump has been.

• Winner
Reactions: Triumvirate
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟699,630.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
LINK

Questions:

How many are victims of human trafficking?

What parent is separated from their child, then disappears without them?

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟699,630.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

As a “little brown person” myself, the son of legal immigrants, I would kindly ask you to not demean us like that again.

Many find the term pandering, pedantic and just plain offensive. Please stop using this racist term.

Thank you.

and btw, there is a growing number of us that believe a bag of rocks would be better than Biden

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,768.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

Probably none. That's not what Trump's changes to the system were for.

Did you read the article? Ones that are deported from the country. Many of them didn't disappear: they were pushed out of the country while their children were kept in US custody.

Have you paid attention to this story at all? The Trump Administration did not keep records of what children belonged to which parents: “It’s the reality of a policy that was in place that resulted in large numbers of families being separated without forethought as to reunification and keeping track of people,” says Judge Sabraw.

Upvote 0

Tiberius Lee

Sep 6, 2017
Wisconsin
✟145,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Since the story came out about this , I am touched by outrage showed by Pro-life evangelical on this issue.

Back from alternative reality to real world .. I am still waiting for them to show some outrage .. I think I will wait for long time ..!

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,768.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Questions:

None.

Federal court filings show that their adoptive or biological parents brought the children in question to the United States. Children who are brought over without their parents, by smugglers, are often classified as “unaccompanied minors” and are not included in the group the moderator asked about.

What government refuses to help reunite the families it has separated?

Although a federal court compelled the federal government to provide contact information for the parents, U.S. officials are not doing the searching. Instead, the federal court appointed a steering committee of nongovernment organizations, including the American Civil Liberties Union and Justice In Motion, because the U.S. government refused to conduct a search. The Trump administration also kept poor records, which further exacerbated the situation, according to a Department of Homeland Security’s inspector general report.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Arc F1

Let the righteous man arise from slumber
Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
LINK

The welfare of the child falls on the shoulders of the parent. Reverse the situation and how does it look? A poor family in America illegally enters another country with their children or even worse sends the child by themselves. Would we say it's the country's fault or the irresponsible parent?

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,768.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Reverse the situation and how does it look? A poor family in America illegally enters another country with their children

Where, other than in the US, would something as monstrous happen as being forcibly separated? North Korea? How can we 'reverse the situation' when no other countries are so cruel?

• Agree
Reactions: wing2000
Upvote 0

Arc F1

Let the righteous man arise from slumber
Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Where, other than in the US, would something as monstrous happen as being forcibly separated? North Korea? How can we 'reverse the situation' when no other countries are so cruel?

Lots of places will throw you in jail and or deport you.

Criminalization of Illegal Entry Around the World

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟699,630.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
October 20, 2020

WASHINGTON—U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Acting Secretary Chad Wolf announced Tuesday the opening of the DHS Center for Countering Human Trafficking, the U.S. government’s first-ever integrated law enforcement operations center directly supporting federal criminal investigations, victim assistance efforts, intelligence analysis, and outreach and training activities related to human trafficking and forced labor.

The center, which has been operational since early September, is based in Washington and led by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), a global leader of criminal investigations into human trafficking and sexual exploitation. The center will be staffed with law enforcement officials from Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) and across DHS, as well as subject matter experts and support staff from 16 DHS components—all focused on the “4 Ps” of the center’s mission: prevention, protection, prosecution and partnerships.
This is why I asked - the Trump Administration has been making a focused effort against human trafficking. It is largely being ignored.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟904,976.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
The welfare of the child falls on the shoulders of the parent. Reverse the situation and how does it look? A poor family in America illegally enters another country with their children or even worse sends the child by themselves. Would we say it's the country's fault or the irresponsible parent?

Your claim is that America bears zero culpability for the issues that are a direct result of its policies? That does not seem correct to me.

Upvote 0