British Isles
✟17,662.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Now i don't want to go into Chuck Missler theology, i'd like us to look at the simple points i am using through the scripture ....

My question is -

Rev 20:4-5 describes the 1st resurrection 'they lived and reigned'
Rev 20:6 talks about the 2nd death (where they have no power and shall reign)

1 John 4:17 says the overcomers will have boldness in the day of judgement.

Not all professing Christians these days could say they have boldness before the day of judgement, many martyrs did in the past, when they were beheaded and burned at the stake for their faith.

as a reminder, in Revelations 21:8 , the fearful will have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimestome: which is the second death.

any thoughts?

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
My question is - Rev 20:4-5 describes the 1st resurrection 'they lived and reigned'
The first resurrection is spiritual, of our spirit. Christians are buried and resurrected with Christ in Baptism. You're probably aware of the biblical passages teaching this. The second resurrection is physical, of the body.

The first death is physical, of the body. The second death is spiritual, in the lake of fire. If our spirits have been resurrected (1st resurrection), they will not die in the lake of fire (2nd death).

Rev 20:6 Blessed and holy is the one who has a share in the first resurrection. The second death has no power over them. Instead they will be priests of God and of Christ. And they will reign with him for a thousand years.

Not all professing Christians these days could say they have boldness before the day of judgement, many martyrs did in the past, when they were beheaded and burned at the stake for their faith.
We have confidence in our salvation because we trust in God's love. His love drives our fear away. Thus we are no longer afraid of punishment. Here is the rest of your quotation:

1Jo 4:16-18 We also have come to know and trust the love that God has for us. God is love. Whoever remains in love remains in God and God in him. In this way his love has been brought to its goal among us, so that we may have confidence on the day of judgment, because in this world we are just like Jesus. There is no fear in love, but complete love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who continues to be afraid has not been brought to the goal in love.

as a reminder, in Revelations 21:8 , the fearful will have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimestome: which is the second death. any thoughts?
Instead of "fearful" modern translations use the word "cowardly." This is a description for those who deny the faith and the pressure of society, whether peers or enemies. Here is the rest of your quotation:

Rev 21:7-8 The one who overcomes will inherit these things. I will be his God, and he will be my son. But those who are cowardly, unbelieving, detestable, murderers, adulterers, sorcerers, idolaters, and all the liars will have their share in the lake burning with fire and sulfur, which is the second death.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
many thanks. I'm stuck in the house here, isolated by this Covid-19, and i've never had a desire to know the bible like it in my entire life.
Praise God. I believe God intended this social isolation situation to give the environment time to recover from polution and to give people time to recover from worldly pursuits.

Enjoy fellowship in the Forums. Sometimes you encounter different and contradictory views. But gradually you learn which participants are more orthodox in their views. The Traditional Theology subform is also a good place to post in.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟367,110.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Now i don't want to go into Chuck Missler theology, i'd like us to look at the simple points i am using through the scripture ....

My question is -

Rev 20:4-5 describes the 1st resurrection 'they lived and reigned'

as a reminder, in Revelations 21:8 , the fearful will have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimestome: which is the second death.

any thoughts?

My first thought is what in the world is this thread doing on the ecclesiology board? You would definitely get a much better response on the GT board.

Upvote 0

Brian Mcnamee

Feb 2, 2017
usa
✟221,465.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
many thanks. I'm stuck in the house here with no-one else to talk about bible stuff (me + Holy spirit) isolated by this Covid-19, and i've never had a desire to know the bible like it in my entire life.
hi you are good to be studying the scripture and relying on the Holy Spirit and for a mentor you could not have one better than Missler. I have recently listened to him on Blueletterbible you can hit the tools bar on any verse and commentary's come up. Missler has teachings on almost every chapter. Think about how much research this guy did before computers as he mined out the connections in scripture with a concordance and a note pad. His love for the LORD and zeal for those he taught to love the LORD completely and to surrender all to God to live holy dedicated lives growing in knowledge and usefullness to the LORD is what I remember most about him.
He also believed every word of God was inspired and that it would literally come to pass. He integrates many passages all talking about the same events and you will have a good panorama of the Bible with him. I just listened to him on Dan 7 12 and Jer 30 31 and 1 2 Thess. And as Missler would say search the scriptures yourself to see if these things are so.
As for the verses you pointed out the assurance of the Christian is a promise of God to those who are born again. Going forward at a meeting is not being born again and many have gone through that ritual and it does form sort of a line where you cross over but many are manipulated into making an emotional decision and it really did not stick. The book of Col ch 1 notes this 9 For this reason we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to ask that you may be filled with the knowledge of His will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding; 10 that you may walk worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing Him, being fruitful in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God; 11 strengthened with all might, according to His glorious power, for all patience and longsuffering with joy; 12 giving thanks to the Father who has qualified us to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in the light. 13 He has delivered us from the power of darkness and conveyed us into the kingdom of the Son of His love, 14 in whom we have redemption through His blood,[fn] the forgiveness of sins. Now those who hold this reality in there lives will be part of the 1st ressurection and reign with Jesus and we will have assurance based on the sure mercies of Jesus this is a glorious place of peace, joy and hope.
Rev 21 speaking of the fearful has them lumped into a much larger category and they contrasted with those who would not bow to anitchrist and were saved. The dilemma now seems to be what if we are placed in that situation. Being afraid is different than denying Christ. Those in Rev 21 knew better they had the two witnesses and they still chose the mark of the beast and that is a bad choice with all on the line. We choose Jesus now and he delivers us from the wrath to come.

Upvote 0

Victor in Christ

Jehovah Tsidkenu
Jun 9, 2020
British Isles
✟17,662.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We have confidence in our salvation because we trust in God's love. His love drives our fear away. Thus we are no longer afraid of punishment. Here is the rest of your quotation:

1Jo 4:16-18 We also have come to know and trust the love that God has for us. God is love. Whoever remains in love remains in God and God in him. In this way his love has been brought to its goal among us, so that we may have confidence on the day of judgment, because in this world we are just like Jesus. There is no fear in love, but complete love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who continues to be afraid has not been brought to the goal in love.

thankyou so much. Growing in faith and confidence that we've made our election and salvation sure is very important, so we may mature in that security through Love, knowing that what we as Christians have bound up on Earth will be bound up in heaven. Leading sinners to see the light through Christ and helping other Christians grow in their faith so they may have the confidence/boldness knowing they've fought the good fight on Earth for Christ and will be rewarded eternal salvation and the words, "well done.......

Upvote 0