Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Are there any fans of music from the 1980s?
My favorite artists are Tiffany, Taylor Dayne, Debbie Gibson, Belinda Carlisle, Toni Basil, Billy Idol, Pat Benatar, Quarterflash, Blondie, and other great 80s era solo artists and groups.
Who are yours?

Citanul

Well, when exactly do you mean?
May 31, 2006
Cape Town, South Africa
✟208,842.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
When it comes to 80s music I tend to favour the rock artists rather than the pop ones, although I do have a soft spot for synthpop for some reason.

I had a tough time deciding what to post as there are so many good songs to pick from, but I'll go for this one to start off.

Upvote 0

look4hope

Love.Fellowship.Joy
Angels Team
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Dec 6, 2012
Somewhere in Jersey
✟382,922.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
When it comes to 80s music I tend to favour the rock artists rather than the pop ones, although I do have a soft spot for synthpop for some reason.

I had a tough time deciding what to post as there are so many good songs to pick from, but I'll go for this one to start off.

Great choice! :cool1:

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
1980s. Interesting.

There was a band that many of my friends were into a LOT in the late 1960s and early 1970s called the Moody Blues. I liked them too, but was not as fanatical as some of the others. We all realized their sound was ahead of its time, but we had no idea how far ahead.

Then they broke up after releasing "Seventh Sojourn" in 1973 to follow solo careers. They got back together in the late 70s and started recording again - sounding almost the same (except for better synths and recording technology) and we had our answer: they were 10 years ahead, because in 1981 they fit right in with a lot of other synth based pop/rock artists of the day.

Here are 3 of their '80s hits:

From 1981:

From 1986:

from 1988:

BTW - in the 90s my cousin gave me a concert video of the Moodies playing at Red Rocks in Denver. He was at the concert. And my girls who graduated HS in 2000 and 2002 had HUGE crushes on Justin Hayword, the lead singer/guitar player from watching that concert (and remembering these songs from the radio). I tried to tell them he was older than I was but it didn't matter to them.

Last edited:
Reactions: markb77
Upvote 0

Citanul

May 31, 2006
Cape Town, South Africa
✟208,842.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
I saw the Moody Blues live a few years ago, and it was a really good concert. They definitely seemed to rock more live than do on record, and Justin Hayward's guitar playing was more prominent - I'd definitely classify him as an underrated guitarist.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I saw the Moody Blues live a few years ago, and it was a really good concert. They definitely seemed to rock more live than do on record, and Justin Hayward's guitar playing was more prominent - I'd definitely classify him as an underrated guitarist.
I was going to see them in 71, but the concert got canceled due to the Queen asking for a command performance at Buckingham Palace. They told the venue (Notre Dame Univ) that they would reschedule and play FOR FREE. But the Uni would not have it, so to this day they have NEVER played Notre Dame AFAIK. My cousin saw them at Red Rocks.

Hayward and Lodge are both GREAT rockers. Both are under rated and overlooked. Too bad.

Ever hear the band they put together during the breakup in the mid 70s?
71bWdNnkkzL._SY355_.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Citanul

May 31, 2006
Cape Town, South Africa
✟208,842.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Ever hear the band they put together during the breakup in the mid 70s?
71bWdNnkkzL._SY355_.jpg

The only Moody Blues album I have is a compilation which includes some Blue Jays songs, although I couldn't tell you off-hand which songs were by the Blue Jays as they don't sound markedly different from Moody Blues songs, which is completely understandable.

Upvote 0

Citanul

May 31, 2006
Cape Town, South Africa
✟208,842.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single

One of the impressive things about Stryper is that they're still releasing stuff which is just as good as their 80s material - some may say even better. There aren't too many of their contemporaries who can boast the same thing.

Reactions: Dynamis777
Upvote 0

Citanul

May 31, 2006
Cape Town, South Africa
✟208,842.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Here's something a bit on the obscure side. Not the band so much, although most people probably only remember them for Kayleigh, but this song didn't appear on any of their albums (until they started re-releasing them with bonus tracks). It is one of my favourites by them though.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BookofMatt

Jesus is Lord
Nov 7, 2012
California
✟37,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Here's something a bit on the obscure side. Not the band so much, although most people probably only remember them for Kayleigh, but this song didn't appear on any of their albums (until they started re-releasing them with bonus tracks). It is one of my favourites by them though.

Ha, I'm actually wearing a Marillion shirt as I type this. I'm a huge fan of '80s prog: Marillion, IQ, Twelfth Night, Pendragon, Pallas, etc., though ironically I actually think most of those bands did their best work in the decades after. The album Marillion put out this year, for example, is one of the greatest things they've ever done. Like fine wine, progressive rock bands always tend to get better with age.

Upvote 0

Citanul

May 31, 2006
Cape Town, South Africa
✟208,842.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Ha, I'm actually wearing a Marillion shirt as I type this. I'm a huge fan of '80s prog: Marillion, IQ, Twelfth Night, Pendragon, Pallas, etc., though ironically I actually think most of those bands did their best work in the decades after. The album Marillion put out this year, for example, is one of the greatest things they've ever done. Like fine wine, progressive rock bands always tend to get better with age.

I kind of lost interest in Marillion after Somewhere Else. I didn't think it was necessarily a bad album, but the direction Marillion had been going didn't appeal to me in the same way as the Fish and earlier Steve Hogarth albums. And while I have heard some songs from subsequent albums, they haven't convinced me to investigate those albums further.

Upvote 0

Citanul

May 31, 2006
Cape Town, South Africa
✟208,842.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
I'm a huge fan of '80s prog: Marillion, IQ, Twelfth Night, Pendragon, Pallas, etc., though ironically I actually think most of those bands did their best work in the decades after.

I would probably agree with you on that, but given the topic of this thread, here are those bands in the 80s.

Upvote 0