WannaWitness

Shining God's Light for a Lost World.
Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
A couple of weeks ago, I started a thread dedicated to the great Christian music of the 90s (and thanks to all who have contributed to it thus far). :)

I thought it would be nice to have a thread for '80s music, as well. The '80s (around the middle of the decade) was when I got my first real taste of what was known as CCM (Contemporary Christian Music) and got to attend an Amy Grant concert. Of course, I loved what I heard and wanted more, so I started collecting more of this music, in the form of audio cassettes and records (yes, RECORDS)! Thanks to Youtube, we are able to find much of this great music to share, along with tidbits on artists, our experiences, and so on.

I'll begin with this gem, the first Christian hip-hop song (that I know of, anyway)!

The Righterzpen

Jesus is my Shield in any Desert or Storm
Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟144,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
A couple of weeks ago, I started a thread dedicated to the great Christian music of the 90s (and thanks to all who have contributed to it thus far). :)

I thought it would be nice to have a thread for '80s music, as well. The '80s (around the middle of the decade) was when I got my first real taste of what was known as CCM (Contemporary Christian Music) and got to attend an Amy Grant concert. Of course, I loved what I heard and wanted more, so I started collecting more of this music, in the form of audio cassettes and records (yes, RECORDS)! Thanks to Youtube, we are able to find much of this great music to share, along with tidbits on artists, our experiences, and so on.

I'll begin with this gem, the first Christian hip-hop song (that I know of, anyway)!

This was a little before my time. LOL. I became a believer in 1988, so much of 80's Christian music, I'm not familiar with.

• Friendly
Reactions: WannaWitness
Upvote 0

WannaWitness

Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
This was a little before my time. LOL. I became a believer in 1988, so much of 80's Christian music, I'm not familiar with.

That's okay. It doesn't matter when you became a believer; you are still welcome to enjoy the music in this thread. :)

I also have one on '90s Christian music if you can relate to that one more. Would love to see you there! :)

It just so happens that I became a believer when I was a little girl. Plus, I got influenced by music at a very early age so I remember enjoying stuff from (as far as mainstream music goes) from the late '70s (It's a given that I could not understand the messages of the music, being in preschool and all, but I do remember enjoying the styles before I had a concept of what "style" was), then it sort of got instilled in me. So, although I was born in 1973, I don't consider any of this before my time. Plus, when I first started listening to Christian music on my own in the mid '80s, there were some from earlier in the decade that were still popular, so I listened to a lot of that as well.

Anyway, welcome! :hi:

Upvote 0

The Righterzpen

Jesus is my Shield in any Desert or Storm
Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟144,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
That's okay. It doesn't matter when you became a believer; you are still welcome to enjoy the music in this thread. :)

I also have one on '90s Christian music if you can relate to that one more. Would love to see you there! :)

It just so happens that I became a believer when I was a little girl. Plus, I got influenced by music at a very early age so I remember enjoying stuff from (as far as mainstream music goes) from the late '70s (It's a given that I could not understand the messages of the music, being in preschool and all, but I do remember enjoying the styles before I had a concept of what "style" was), then it sort of got instilled in me. So, although I was born in 1973, I don't consider any of this before my time. Plus, when I first started listening to Christian music on my own in the mid '80s, there were some from earlier in the decade that were still popular, so I listened to a lot of that as well.

Anyway, welcome! :hi:

Now I'm certainly familiar with some of the music that "predated" me (I have a lot of Sandi Patti CD's - lol)

It's just weird to hear - I think especially knowing what happened with some of these people and how that caused such an issue with "Contemporary Christian Music" in that era (and thus shortly after). Not that issues with sin still don't exist today in that industry. I think what happened with Amy Grant and Sandi Patti though shook a lot of people because they'd gotten so "big". It was a tough era of disappointment for a lot of people.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

WannaWitness

Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Early '80s Amy!

Yes, I know this is from a Christmas album, but to me, this particular track doesn't only pertain to Christmas. Jesus is Emmanuel, Counselor, Prince of Peace, and Mighty God, all of that and more, always and forever. All 12 months of the year!

Upvote 0

WannaWitness

Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Now I'm certainly familiar with some of the music that "predated" me (I have a lot of Sandi Patti CD's - lol)

It's just weird to hear - I think especially knowing what happened with some of these people and how that caused such an issue with "Contemporary Christian Music" in that era (and thus shortly after). Not that issues with sin still don't exist today in that industry. I think what happened with Amy Grant and Sandi Patti though shook a lot of people because they'd gotten so "big". It was a tough era of disappointment for a lot of people.

Yes, I know what you're talking about. However, none of that seems to disillusion me as when we really stop to think about it, we all struggle with sin issues in our lives, and always will until eternity. But yes, I am familiar with all of that, and these controversies still go on today (in fact, there was one that happened recently with one prominent popular artist, but this is not the thread to get into it). There was also the issue of "crossovers" (which was mentioned in the '90s thread) where some Christian artists recorded a few songs here and there that had nothing to do with God or Jesus, but were still wholesome and fun songs that fit the criteria of Philippians 4:8 (in my opinion, anyway) and did not stray away from basic Biblical principles. However, some Christians felt that these artists were "compromising" just because some of their songs weren't blatantly "Christian". But, that's also a topic for another time as there are too many conflicting opinions on this issue alone, and I wish to keep this thread free of conflict.

Anyway, sorry for rambling. It's just that your post reminded me of all of these things.

And speaking of Sandi Patti (now called "Patty"), she was an early influence of mine as well. Here are some favorites:

Actually sang the following in school!

Upvote 0

WannaWitness

Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
This song just popped into my head from Leslie Phillips (who is now known as Sam Phillips). It is from the point of view of someone who is living with regret due to failing to witness to the "Gina" of the title before she died in a fire.

More Leslie Phillips:

More music to come as I have time. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Of course, I must include the music of Amy G here, being my first real influence when it comes to CCM!

January 28, 1996
It's hard to believe it's been that long ago.
My wife and I were invited over to the Chapman's (Gary and Amy were still married at that time) to watch the Super Bowl with them. I knew Gary better than I did Amy.
We took a few photos with Amy and Gary at Riverstone Farm. One of the pix, my wife and AMy is below.

We were in the same church with Amy and Vince when we first came to Nashville in 2000. That was short-lived. Gary lives in the same neighborhood that we currently live in. I still see him from time to time at Kroger or the Ace Hardware.

One of those photos
amyskitchenwithjane.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JustRachel

He welcomed me back! <3
Site Supporter
Aug 12, 2007
Right here
✟325,928.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Need more! I became a born again Christian in 1982. I've been looking for songs from that time period. I suppose that some of them I heard were from the late 70s. Many that I have vague memories of were from somewhat obscure groups. Here's one (now that I have Googled it, this song is apparently from 1975. Probably older than most members here):

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Upvote 0

WannaWitness

Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
80's yay!!

Love it!

Thank you. :)

January 28, 1996
It's hard to believe it's been that long ago.
My wife and I were invited over to the Chapman's (Gary and Amy were still married at that time) to watch the Super Bowl with them. I knew Gary better than I did Amy.
We took a few photos with Amy and Gary at Riverstone Farm. One of the pix, my wife and AMy is below.

We were in the same church with Amy and Vince when we first came to Nashville in 2000. That was short-lived. Gary lives in the same neighborhood that we currently live in. I still see him from time to time at Kroger or the Ace Hardware.

One of those photos
View attachment 258394

That's good to hear! Thanks for these stories. You are very fortunate to have had these experiences. For you, these are memories to cherish forever. I am happy for you! :)

(And here I was thinking that attending a concert as a kid was a big thing!) :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0