Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Two groups of Particular Baptists emerged from the 1700's. Those who were Reformed and Confessional and another group that focused more on soteriology and took a different approach to the Decalogue. The following quote was taken from Gospel Standard Baptist site, it highlights some of the differences between the two groups, it's worth a read.

Quote:

CHANGES

Throughout the 1700s there was in England just one Particular Baptist denomination. Though there were differences – for instance, the terms of communion – substantially the denomination remained one.

But towards the end of the century changes were taking place. It appears that some were becoming more general in doctrine, whilst others, who retained their Calvinism, were becoming legalistic, while some of the preaching became dry and arid. Just before his death, Benjamin Beddome had written:

“We sadly fear that a spirit of error is creeping into some of the churches, and that where the great doctrines of the gospel are not totally rejected, their importance is not properly attended to.”

All this was accentuated by the publication of a work entitled The Gospel Worthy of All Acceptation, written by the Northamptonshire minister Andrew Fuller (1754-1815). Fuller contended for a more general view of the atonement, limiting its efficacy only by the Father’s choice and the Holy Spirit’s application. He strongly contended that it was the duty of all men savingly to repent and believe, and that a universal offer should be made. This was contrary to what the Particular Baptist position had been in the past.

Soon afterwards a number of ministers appeared who rejected the Fuller position, contending that the invitations of the gospel were to those sinners who had been brought to feel their need and that Christ cannot be offered.

The foremost of these preachers were William Gadsby (1773-1844), John Warburton (1776-1857) and John Kershaw (1792-1870).

William Gadsby was a stocking weaver who came from a poor family in Warwickshire. Led very clearly into the truth, for most of his life he was minister at the Particular Baptist chapel in Manchester, one of the largest industrial cities in England. Here he gathered a large congregation, and his preaching was abundantly blessed throughout the country. He also became extremely well known through his appearance on the social and political scene, using his fame and ability to defend the suffering and underprivileged. William Gadsby produced a selection of hymns in 1814, many written by himself – the best known being, “Immortal honours rest on Jesus’ head.”

John Warburton and John Kershaw were poor Lancashire handloom weavers, both baptized by William Gadsby. Under the blessing of the Lord both were favoured with much prosperity in their pastorates – John Kershaw in his native Rochdale, and John Warburton at Trowbridge in Wiltshire. (For over forty years, Warburton’s congregation numbered in the region of 1000.) Each of these two godly men left interesting autobiographies.

A separation was becoming more and more inevitable. Throughout England there were many hungry, longing souls who were not profiting under the new style of preaching. These lovingly welcomed such men as Gadsby, Warburton and Kershaw, and rejoiced in the glorious gospel of the grace of God which they preached.

One of the oldest Baptists in Lancashire, when he heard William Gadsby preach for the first time, said, “I was never so blessed in my soul under any minister before. He does not preach a new gospel. It is the old gospel, brought forward in a way so blessedly calculated to meet the cases of the Lord’s tried family.”

This simple statement beautifully summarises the change that was now taking place in the Particular Baptist churches.
Read the rest here: Gospel Standard About Us - Home

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Endeavourer

Aug 30, 2017
Cloud 9
✟89,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is an interesting background I hadn't realized before.

It seems that at one time the Particular (Strict) baptists were quite evangelical/mission minded. Do you think the congregations in England are more so than the congregations in North America?

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟745,552.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
This is an interesting background I hadn't realized before.

It seems that at one time the Particular (Strict) baptists were quite evangelical/mission minded. Do you think the congregations in England are more so than the congregations in North America?

Difficult to say. In North America everyone has been influenced by Methodism, Jonathan Edwards and Charles Finney "evangelistic" style. I do not believe it is biblical.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Upvote 0

Endeavourer

Aug 30, 2017
Cloud 9
✟89,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In North America everyone has been influenced by Methodism, Jonathan Edwards and Charles Finney "evangelistic" style.

Interesting comment. I have some guesses but am not completely sure what you are getting to by this comment. Can you explain what you mean by this?

• Useful
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟745,552.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Interesting comment. I have some guesses but am not completely sure what you are getting to by this comment. Can you explain what you mean by this?

It's a big topic but Edwards was the fore-running to the Great Awakening, the Great Awakening altered how Christians evangelized. Methodism placed greater emphasis on the personal experience and neglected the objective reality of salvation in Christ alone. One was a Christian based on 'feeling' saved, walking to the front of Church and making a profession of faith, and it was a done deal. Finney took this idea to greater heights and placed salvation in the hands of sinner...all they had to do was 'accept Christ' as a personal Lord and Savior. The older emphasis in Protestantism was that Christ saved by decree, we receive it and walk in it, as a covenant people, we live out our faith.

I hope that helps.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

• Informative
Upvote 0

Endeavourer

Aug 30, 2017
Cloud 9
✟89,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Methodism placed greater emphasis on the personal experience and neglected the objective reality of salvation in Christ alone.

How would you distinguish the Methodism you reference from the "experiential" salvation that the Particular Baptists hold as necessary?

Finney took this idea to greater heights and placed salvation in the hands of sinner...all they had to do was 'accept Christ' as a personal Lord and Savior.

This would be an anathema to the Particular (Strict) Baptist congregations I'm familiar with. They hold very firmly to a reformed perspective on salvation. Perhaps reformed+, but definitely reformed.

The older emphasis in Protestantism was that Christ saved by decree, we receive it and walk in it, as a covenant people, we live out our faith.

So, no personal experience? This sounds like 'historical' faith, rather than faith being applied personally.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟745,552.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
How would you distinguish the Methodism you reference from the "experiential" salvation that the Particular Baptists hold as necessary?

I would distinguish between leaning on the experience as proof or evidence of salvation. A poster on CF wrote the following that may be helpful.

Quote: The problem with religious thought today is that far too many start with man and work up to God. It should be the other way around.

The reason so many struggle with their faith is that they don’t know enough about God’s faithfulness to His Son. Our salvation is entirely in the hands of the Son of God our Savior and He is more than able to do more than we can ask or think. He has accomplished the full, complete, total and everlasting salvation of His people and nothing can ever change that.

Because these things are true, that it is in Him and by Him alone without anything from us, we can rest assured that even in the teeth of our faults, failings, desertions and rebellions, He never changes toward us. A believer has nothing to fear from God at all. Christ has fully taken away everything that would give God a reason to be angry with His people.

The Scriptures never tell us that we must have a certain amount of faith, that is religion, but that we must believe. Believe how much? The grain of a mustard seed. Small faith saves as well as great faith. It isn’t how much faith but simply faith.

Rest in Christ alone. Do not look to yourself for anything, especially feelings. Religion will point you to obedience (J. I. Packer, John MacArthur etc.) but obedience is never a gauge of faith but a result of it.

I am saved because the Great God and Savior the Lord Jesus Christ stood in my place and fully accomplished that which was required in my place. In Him I am complete, in Him I am accepted, in Him I am a son of God and that son-ship can never be severed. In Him I am blessed of God and all the glory of eternal bliss is already my by Him.

Even when I don’t feel like it.

(end quote)

Instead of leaning on the experience and ‘feeling’ saved we are saved even if we don’t feel like we are.

Another quote from Twin:

True Worship or Playing Church

There are those who call themselves Sovereign Grace who have only changed one system of doctrine or theology for another. Everything else remains the same. While I am aware that many who believe the doctrines of grace have never been exposed to what a true Gospel Church actually is and therefore ought not to be judged too harshly the fact remains that the truth of God changes everything. When the Spirit of God writes the Gospel of Christ on the heart nothing remains the same. Our message, our method, our focus and our worship is radically altered. We cannot continue the practice of religion just as we did before while only changing the system of theology we believe. The true worship of God in Christ involves much more than a mere change of theology. We simply cannot worship in spirit and in truth while continuing to play church. True worship bears some radically different marks from those who have a name only.

True worship has Christ as its focus.

Christ is the central theme of the Scriptures and the central focus of true worship. In all things Christ shall have the preeminence. (Col. 1:18) True worship points us to Christ in our songs, in our prayers and in our preaching. We sing praises to Him who has done great things for us. We pray to Him and through Him trusting God will hear us because of Him. We preach Him in all His glorious person and work. The Scriptures are full of the bounty of Christ and His people desire to feast from His bounty. The pablum of religion will not do.

True worship has Christ as its motivation.

Those playing church seek to motivate folks with rules, instruction in what we ought to be and do and promises of reward. They preach messages on the family or marriage or money. They take the promises of God in Christ and make them depend on your obedience. They give you a plan on how to become more sanctified or shame you into obedience with accountability partners. They threaten to expel you from the church if you don’t live up to your profession.

True worshipers have Christ as their motivation.

Their obedience is motivated by love for Him not by fear or shame. They find all the promises of God to be in Him yeah and amen. (2Cor. 1:20) He is all in all to them and enough for them. They desire nothing but Him and find in Him everything they need for life and godliness. (2Pet. 1:3) They seek to know Him and be found in Him not having their own righteousness which is of the law but the righteousness of God in Him. (Phil. 3:9,10) He is made of God to be all their wisdom, righteousness, sanctification and redemption. (1Cor. 1:30) The more they learn of Him the more they are made to rest in Him. (Matt. 11:28,29) They are motivated to good works because they are new creations in Christ created unto good works which God hath before ordained that they should walk in them. (Eph. 2:10) They never need the whip of religion to drive them because they have the love of God shed abroad in their hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given to them. (Rom. 5:5)

True worship has the Spirit.

If the Spirit is absent there is no true worship. The Spirit takes the things of Christ and shows them to His people. (John 16:14,15) By the preaching of Christ the Spirit convinces the world of sin because they believe not on Christ, of righteousness because He has gone to the Father and has justified all for whom He died, and of judgment because by His life, death and resurrection judgment is accomplished for all His elect. (John 16:8-11) When the Spirit is present He glorifies Christ. (John 16:14)

True worship is about Christ.

The song of the redeemed is worthy is the Lamb that was slain. (Rev. 5:9,12) We are never the focus or subject of true worship Christ is. If we are to worship God we can only worship Him in Christ who is the very brightness of His glory and the express image of His person. (Heb. 1:3) In Him dwells all the fullness of the Godhead in a body (Col. 2:9) and only in His face is seen the very glory of God. (2Cor. 4:6)
Let those who have a name and a theology quit playing church and begin to truly worship God in Christ alone. Amen.

(end quote)

So, no personal experience? This sounds like 'historical' faith, rather than faith being applied personally.

It’s not a denial of personal experience but knowing, confessing and walking in the light that “the heart is deceitful above all things” and it shouldn’t be trusted as a gauge our relationship with Christ.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's a big topic but Edwards was the fore-running to the Great Awakening, the Great Awakening altered how Christians evangelized. Methodism placed greater emphasis on the personal experience and neglected the objective reality of salvation in Christ alone. One was a Christian based on 'feeling' saved, walking to the front of Church and making a profession of faith, and it was a done deal. Finney took this idea to greater heights and placed salvation in the hands of sinner...all they had to do was 'accept Christ' as a personal Lord and Savior. The older emphasis in Protestantism was that Christ saved by decree, we receive it and walk in it, as a covenant people, we live out our faith.

I hope that helps.

Yours in the Lord,

jm
This is interesting. Thank you. I can see a huge difference between what you might call high-church, formal Protestants (Anglicans, Lutherans, Calvinists) and most of the Evangelical world spiritually (and feel that Pentecostalism has, to some extent, greatly influenced most of the Evangelical / non-denom world). If the early Methodists emphasized emotion and feelings and personal experience, and Methodism / Wesleyan holiness theology gave rise to Pentecostalism, that would explain a lot theologically and historically.

Reactions: JM
Upvote 0

Endeavourer

Aug 30, 2017
Cloud 9
✟89,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Let's say a 10 year old son or daughter of a Particular Baptist from North America asked their dad how can they be saved. How would he answer his child?

Hi JM,

I just wanted to reach out in case you had forgotten about my question. Hope all is well.
E.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟745,552.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
That was an eloquent essay. I enjoyed it. Thanks for posting.

Let's say a 10 year old son or daughter of a Particular Baptist from North America asked their dad how can they be saved. How would he answer his child?

Thank you, I did forget about it...I do not speak for others but I would say, "repent therefore and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, so that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord"

If you feel the weight of sin on your heart and have come to see the blackness of your soul in the light of God's Law if you have been brought to a place where you dread the judgement of the trice holy God, BELIEVE THE GOSPEL! If you believe that Jesus Christ paid the penalty for your sins the Bible assures us that, "whoever calls on the name of the LORD shall be saved."

Our hope is not found in how we feel, however, it is in Christ alone.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I would distinguish between leaning on the experience as proof or evidence of salvation. A poster on CF wrote the following that may be helpful.

Quote: The problem with religious thought today is that far too many start with man and work up to God. It should be the other way around.

The reason so many struggle with their faith is that they don’t know enough about God’s faithfulness to His Son. Our salvation is entirely in the hands of the Son of God our Savior and He is more than able to do more than we can ask or think. He has accomplished the full, complete, total and everlasting salvation of His people and nothing can ever change that.

Because these things are true, that it is in Him and by Him alone without anything from us, we can rest assured that even in the teeth of our faults, failings, desertions and rebellions, He never changes toward us. A believer has nothing to fear from God at all. Christ has fully taken away everything that would give God a reason to be angry with His people.

The Scriptures never tell us that we must have a certain amount of faith, that is religion, but that we must believe. Believe how much? The grain of a mustard seed. Small faith saves as well as great faith. It isn’t how much faith but simply faith.

Rest in Christ alone. Do not look to yourself for anything, especially feelings. Religion will point you to obedience (J. I. Packer, John MacArthur etc.) but obedience is never a gauge of faith but a result of it.

I am saved because the Great God and Savior the Lord Jesus Christ stood in my place and fully accomplished that which was required in my place. In Him I am complete, in Him I am accepted, in Him I am a son of God and that son-ship can never be severed. In Him I am blessed of God and all the glory of eternal bliss is already my by Him.

Even when I don’t feel like it.

(end quote)

Instead of leaning on the experience and ‘feeling’ saved we are saved even if we don’t feel like we are.

Another quote from Twin:

True Worship or Playing Church

There are those who call themselves Sovereign Grace who have only changed one system of doctrine or theology for another. Everything else remains the same. While I am aware that many who believe the doctrines of grace have never been exposed to what a true Gospel Church actually is and therefore ought not to be judged too harshly the fact remains that the truth of God changes everything. When the Spirit of God writes the Gospel of Christ on the heart nothing remains the same. Our message, our method, our focus and our worship is radically altered. We cannot continue the practice of religion just as we did before while only changing the system of theology we believe. The true worship of God in Christ involves much more than a mere change of theology. We simply cannot worship in spirit and in truth while continuing to play church. True worship bears some radically different marks from those who have a name only.

True worship has Christ as its focus.

Christ is the central theme of the Scriptures and the central focus of true worship. In all things Christ shall have the preeminence. (Col. 1:18) True worship points us to Christ in our songs, in our prayers and in our preaching. We sing praises to Him who has done great things for us. We pray to Him and through Him trusting God will hear us because of Him. We preach Him in all His glorious person and work. The Scriptures are full of the bounty of Christ and His people desire to feast from His bounty. The pablum of religion will not do.

True worship has Christ as its motivation.

Those playing church seek to motivate folks with rules, instruction in what we ought to be and do and promises of reward. They preach messages on the family or marriage or money. They take the promises of God in Christ and make them depend on your obedience. They give you a plan on how to become more sanctified or shame you into obedience with accountability partners. They threaten to expel you from the church if you don’t live up to your profession.

True worshipers have Christ as their motivation.

Their obedience is motivated by love for Him not by fear or shame. They find all the promises of God to be in Him yeah and amen. (2Cor. 1:20) He is all in all to them and enough for them. They desire nothing but Him and find in Him everything they need for life and godliness. (2Pet. 1:3) They seek to know Him and be found in Him not having their own righteousness which is of the law but the righteousness of God in Him. (Phil. 3:9,10) He is made of God to be all their wisdom, righteousness, sanctification and redemption. (1Cor. 1:30) The more they learn of Him the more they are made to rest in Him. (Matt. 11:28,29) They are motivated to good works because they are new creations in Christ created unto good works which God hath before ordained that they should walk in them. (Eph. 2:10) They never need the whip of religion to drive them because they have the love of God shed abroad in their hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given to them. (Rom. 5:5)

True worship has the Spirit.

If the Spirit is absent there is no true worship. The Spirit takes the things of Christ and shows them to His people. (John 16:14,15) By the preaching of Christ the Spirit convinces the world of sin because they believe not on Christ, of righteousness because He has gone to the Father and has justified all for whom He died, and of judgment because by His life, death and resurrection judgment is accomplished for all His elect. (John 16:8-11) When the Spirit is present He glorifies Christ. (John 16:14)

True worship is about Christ.

The song of the redeemed is worthy is the Lamb that was slain. (Rev. 5:9,12) We are never the focus or subject of true worship Christ is. If we are to worship God we can only worship Him in Christ who is the very brightness of His glory and the express image of His person. (Heb. 1:3) In Him dwells all the fullness of the Godhead in a body (Col. 2:9) and only in His face is seen the very glory of God. (2Cor. 4:6)
Let those who have a name and a theology quit playing church and begin to truly worship God in Christ alone. Amen.

(end quote)

It’s not a denial of personal experience but knowing, confessing and walking in the light that “the heart is deceitful above all things” and it shouldn’t be trusted as a gauge our relationship with Christ.

Yours in the Lord,

jm
I had forgotten about those posts. Thanks for bringing them up. I am humbled that you have kept them.

Reactions: JM
Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
That was an eloquent essay. I enjoyed it. Thanks for posting.

He would point them to the Person and work of Christ Jesus the Lord on the behalf of chosen sinners. He would tell him to believe on Christ alone for He is all in salvation, enough for God to accept us as His sons and enough for us to trust in.

Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ is not a complete Gospel. It wasn't until after Paul and Silas preached Christ to the jailer did he believe.

You cannot believe on a Christ that you do not know.

Romans 10:13-15 (KJV) 13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. 14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher? 15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!

Upvote 0