Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
People. Dysfunctional people.

We don't blame cars for DUIs.
We don't blame the planes for the 9/11 crashes.
We don't blame forks for making people obese.
We cannot blame firearms for mass shootings.
Wow. This dumb argument again.

Upvote 0

Saricharity

Follower of Christ
Mar 24, 2014
Canada
✟75,597.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
tumblr_mljslxfyBM1rtp3uyo1_500.jpg

Wait, what? Kinder eggs are banned in America? Seriously??

• Agree
Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟194,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Wait, what? Kinder eggs are banned in America? Seriously??

They were until very, very, very recently and even then, our Kinder Eggs are very different than what they are everywhere else.

The true pity is we don’t get those awesome pyramid ice cream cups with the treats in them that they have in Germany, and that most Americans haven’t even heard of them. Those things are freaking awesome.

• Agree
Reactions: Rick Otto
Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟492,680.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
They were until very, very, very recently and even then, our Kinder Eggs are very different than what they are everywhere else.

The true pity is we don’t get those awesome pyramid ice cream cups with the treats in them that they have in Germany, and that most Americans haven’t even heard of them. Those things are freaking awesome.
Well.. neither did I. What are you talking about?

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟194,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well.. neither did I. What are you talking about?

Maybe they aren’t a thing anymore...? When I was living in Bremerhaven for the summer, there was this Schwan’s-like service that delivered frozen food to you. One of the things you could order for kids were these pyramids with a flat, top point. They came in these shoebox-like boxes with like 8-12 pyramids. They’re like individual servings of ice cream cups.

You flip them over (bottom up) and peel back the tab from the bottom of the paper pyramid and there’s a yummy mix of ice cream. Vanilla and chocolate, maybe vanilla and strawberry was a choice too. You eat all the ice cream it and it reveals a tab to a “secret compartment” in what is the flattened tip of the pyramid. Peel that back and reveal the compartment, inside was a little toy and I think a tiny comic very much like what you get in the eggs.

I lived for those things. My Great Uncle (who was more like my mother’s other father as he raised her for quite a time after her mother/his sister was killed and my mother’s father went to find a new wife, we were very close despite the distant-sounding relation) used to order boxes and boxes and boxes of those and Magnums (which we FINALLY got stateside less than 5-10 years ago). We were the envy of the neighborhood kids, the Americans with the fancy ice cream. I guess it was not so much posh, but very expensive for what it was, and therefore highly coveted.

I have fond memories of standing on the front stoop watching the kids who saw the truck pulling up and dashed out to sit on the curb to watch the boxes get carried into the house while their mother’s behind them scrubbed the sidewalk with Castile or lard/bacon soap, giving my great uncle the hairy eyeball.

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The arguments have all been made. Teachers should be armed? Not enough security guards? If college students should be armed? Ban all guns?

Wow, what is wrong with society?
Any public gathering with the same number of people as students in a school gets police protection, but we are supposed to blame the weapon, so nevermind.

Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Arent there any security officers with guns placed at school ?

Don't you think it's a sad state of affairs when
1. such security guards are even required in the first place
2. you ask this question as if it is the default

Even unarmed security guards at schools is COMPLETELY unheared of in Belgium.

Except for a few jewish schools, which have been guarded by soldiers for a few months lately due to terrorist threat levels which included specific intel of a desire for terror attacks in jewish schools, synagoges, etc.

But that's not really the same thing imo.

The thing is though.... you are talking about armed security guards to protect your children from.... your very own people. Or even just other children. :-S

I get it though.... If I would live in the US in this day and age, I'ld feel more at ease if my child's school was guarded like a fortress. But that doesn't change the fact that this is quite a sad state of affairs.

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So this is a good statistic youre saying? Do the reverse maths... 0.4 schools a day will have a shooting... or 2 schools a week (not incl weekends) And this is perhaps your problem. Where a statistic shows that .0004% of all schools will have a shooting everyday and the citizens of the USA are so exposed to child murder in their schools that this stat is regarded as rather good and not of any concern.
Let's not be myopic.
Any other public gathering the size of a school gets police protection. So the lack of it there is a metal health problem on the part of government.

Reactions: LostMarbels
Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Don't you think it's a sad state of affairs when
1. such security guards are even required in the first place
2. you ask this question as if it is the default

Even unarmed security guards at schools is COMPLETELY unheared of in Belgium.

Except for a few jewish schools, which have been guarded by soldiers for a few months lately due to terrorist threat levels which included specific intel of a desire for terror attacks in jewish schools, synagoges, etc.

But that's not really the same thing imo.

The thing is though.... you are talking about armed security guards to protect your children from.... your very own people. Or even just other children. :-S

I get it though.... If I would live in the US in this day and age, I'ld feel more at ease if my child's school was guarded like a fortress. But that doesn't change the fact that this is quite a sad state of affairs.
Belgium doesn't have Deep State agitators or rogue intelligence agencies.

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why are there so many school shootings in the United States? It appears like school shootings are overwhelmingly an America phenomenon. Why is that if it isn't because of the wide availability of firearms? I'm not very knowledgeable about gun laws or the differences between say the US and Canada. It appears like Canada has had 19 shootings between 1884-2016 according to Wiki. Why are schools shootings so prevalent in the United States?
Because there is an undeclared civil war going on inside our government. bThe Revolution is not being televised.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thank you. See this is a citation, a plot as well as text considered important posted with the article. The article has many other points, but the salient point being argued here is that the number of guns circulating in the United States has a relationship to the number of mass shooters in the country. Of course we can debate that, but the article does talk about other factors thrown out there that don't appear to be explain the problem in the US, but the main point is it wasn't just a link with no information than a name.
Selectively chosen correlations are entertaining.

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Your attempt to blame the FBI in this is rather pathetic. There aren't enough agents to monitor every troubled kid in this nation.

I haven't read any articles on this, but it' safe to assume that he had access to firearms. That's the problem. I think it's far past time we started locking up these "parents" who make no real effort to keep their guns out of their children's hands.
Your attempt to defend the FBI is pathetic.
We can afford to invade the middle east repeatedly.
You are blaming victims.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I just watched President Trump on the news making an announcement in the wake of the Florida shootings. He said that steps will be taken to tackle mental health issues and that everything will be done to protect America's children. No mention of guns and no mention of how he intended to carry out the measures he mentioned. The owner of the store who sold the weapon to the shooter also blamed mental health issues for such atrocities.
I accept that some people who have carried out such atrocities may have had mental health issues, but I don't accept that the blame for all these shootings can be laid at the door of mental health.
Other democracies have people with mental health problems, but they don't have mass shootings on the scale witnessed in America. Such shootings in those countries are about as rare as hen's teeth and they are rare because those countries are not saturated with weapons that can be very easily obtained.
There is also the cultural difference in that most people in those countries have no desire to own a weapon. I really don't know what it will take for America to move away from a culture of guns. If their own children being slaughtered in school can't do it, what will?
It's not a "culture of guns" that needs to be moved away from, it is a culture of no personal responsibility.

• Winner
Reactions: LostMarbels
Upvote 0