Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,086,171.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Living under an authoritarian regime

Uzbekistan continues to be the Central Asian country with the most severe religious freedom restrictions. No religious activities beyond state-run and state-controlled institutions are allowed. Indeed, members of Protestant churches are commonly regarded as followers of an alien sect aiming to depose the government. Operating under that paranoia, police, secret service and mahalla (urban subdivision), local authorities regularly raid non-registered churches and strictly monitor religious activities in various ways (bugging homes, tapping phones and infiltrating church groups). In general, the Islamic culture makes life for Christian converts particularly difficult, but indigenous Christians with a Muslim background bear the brunt of persecution.

How Christians are suffering
All Christian communities in Uzbekistan are experiencing some form of Christian persecution from the state and/or dominant Muslim culture. Because they don’t usually attempt to make contact with the Uzbek population, Russian Orthodox churches have the least problems from the government. It is the indigenous Christians who are most persecuted from the state and from family, friends and the community. They experience pressure and occasionally physical violence to renounce their faith and return to Islam. Some converts are beaten and locked up by their families (placed under house arrest) and eventually excommunicated. And in areas with unregistered churches, Christians suffer repeatedly from police raids, arrests and fines.

Examples
In late November 2017, officials raided the home of Stanislav Kim in Urgench. Forum 18 reported that nine of the 10 adults at the meeting, including Kim, were arrested.

The state has implemented requirements that make it almost impossible to register new churches. And the registration rules for already existing religious communities have become even more difficult.

On May 24, 2018, Nabijon Bolikulov was jailed in Karshi for five days for worship without state permission, according to Forum 18. The Judge told Bolikulov: “Do your prayers at home. It is against the law of our state to meet for worship without state registration.”

Pray for Uzbekistan
  • Pray with Christian converts for protection and courage to live life as Christians in the hostile Muslim society that both discriminates against them and fuels state paranoia.
  • Pray with Baptists, Evangelicals and Pentecostals who are threatened, raided, fined and arrested.
  • Pray with church leaders for discernment, boldness and courage as they build the Church in the face of potential arrest, fines and attacks.
  • Pray with believers who live under house arrest and are often ridiculed and physically attacked by their families.
  • Pray for comfort and strength for Christian women forced to marry Muslim husbands. Ask God to reach their husbands through the words and actions of their wives.

Uzbekistan Photo Gallery

Stories from Uzbekistan
August 12, 2018
Central Asia—where owning a Bible is a punishable crime
What's happening to Christian believers in today's Central Asia republics? And what do you need to know to pray with empathy and knowledge? Read More

+ READ MORE

January 10, 2018
The 4 Major Trends Influencing Global Christian Persecution
World Watch List research indicates these growing movements are the life-altering forces influencing the persecution of Christians around the world. Read More

+ READ MORE

July 19, 2017
Uzbek Beaten for Leading Secret Church: “Longest Seven Minutes of My Life”
In Uzbekistan, police and security officials raid a growing church. Read More

+ READ MORE

Melody Suttles

SingPeace
Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2018
Atlanta
✟79,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
“Pray also for me, that whenever I speak, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should.” eph 6

“’My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.’ Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.” 2 cor 12

“For we were so utterly burdened beyond out strength that we despaired of life itself. Indeed, we felt that we had received the sentence of death,” Paul said in 2 Corinthians 1:7-9. “But that was to make us rely not on ourselves but on God who raises the dead.”

But we also pray that if God does not see fit to supernaturally intervene in such a way, that we will intervene to strengthen these believers no matter the outcome. matt 26

Reactions: LoricaLady
Upvote 0