160-Foot Giant Squid Hoax: How Big Do They Really Get?

Forest Wolf

Magical And Blessed
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
✟16,495.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
giant-squid-hoax_75355_990x742.jpg

Faked photo of a giant squid supposedly found In California.

160-Foot Giant Squid Hoax: How Big Do They Really Get?

The largest giant squid recorded by scientists measured 43 feet (12 meters) long, according to Smithsonian's National Museum of Natural History.

Jane J. Lee
National Geographic
Published January 10, 2014
An image of a monster 160-foot-long (49-meter-long) giant squid made the social media rounds yesterday, but fear not—it's a hoax.
The photo of the enormous deep-sea denizen after it washed on to a beach in Santa Monica, California, accompanied a satirical article on the website The Lightly Braised Turnip this week.
Complete Article

That would get your attention were it a real giant squid. ^_^ Calamari all around!

Old Ned

Oct 23, 2013
Canada... Originally England.
Visit site
✟8,418.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
That's one of the worst photoshops I've ever seen.

My first thought exactly.
Admittedly it probably took a fair amount of work, bending the line, moving a few people around, a lot of cuts and pastes... but you can see almost all of them clearly.

Found the original.

http://m.ruvr.ru/2014/01/15/12/frfreg.png

That ones a bit big to post, but found this nice side by side...

giant-squid-hoax.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,434.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Um ... I don't mean to interrupt your photoshop party, but did anyone notice the legitimate question in the OP?

I mean, there are some magazines where people just like to look (and comment on) the pictures; but I didn't expect sci...

On second thought ... nevermind that last comment.

Upvote 0

Old Ned

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
✟8,418.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Sorry Av, you are right... here...

The colossal squid (Mesonychoteuthis hamiltoni, from Greek mesos (middle), onyx (claw, nail), and teuthis (squid)), sometimes called the Antarctic or giant cranch squid, is believed to be the largest squid species in terms of mass & length. It is the only known member of the genus Mesonychoteuthis. It is known from only a few specimens, and current estimates put its maximum size at 12–14 m (39–46 ft) long,[1] based on analysis of smaller and immature specimens, making it the largest known invertebrate.

Colossal squid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,434.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

The colossal squid (Mesonychoteuthis hamiltoni, from Greek mesos (middle), onyx (claw, nail), and teuthis (squid)), sometimes called the Antarctic or giant cranch squid, is believed to be the largest squid species in terms of mass & length. It is the only known member of the genus Mesonychoteuthis. It is known from only a few specimens, and current estimates put its maximum size at 12–14 m (39–46 ft) long,[1] based on analysis of smaller and immature specimens, making it the largest known invertebrate.

If you don't mind me asking, Ned:

Have you posted here before under another name?

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟390,085.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

FYI that info Is in the OP ;)
The largest giant squid recorded by scientists measured 43 feet (12 meters) long, according to Smithsonian's National Museum of Natural History.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Old Ned

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
✟8,418.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
If you don't mind me asking, Ned:

Have you posted here before under another name?

Well realistically speaking, if I had and didn't want people to know then I would answer this question with "No".

But in as much honesty as I can give you, no I have not. I have actually gone by some variation of the name I use online "Ned" for over 10 years.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,434.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well realistically speaking, if I had and didn't want people to know then I would answer this question with "No".

But in as much honesty as I can give you, no I have not. I have actually gone by some variation of the name I use online "Ned" for over 10 years.
Okay, thanks.

Upvote 0