15-year-old Jordan Edwards was trying to leave a house party. Then police killed him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
15-year-old Jordan Edwards was trying to leave a house party. Then police killed him.
Jordan Edwards, 15, was trying to leave a house party that had gotten out of control on Saturday. But the black teenager would never get home that night — because a police officer shot and killed him.

Police in Balch Springs, Texas, a majority-minority Dallas suburb, claim there was an altercation with the vehicle, where Edwards, who was reportedly unarmed, was sitting in the front passenger’s seat. The car was packed with four other unarmed teens, including Edwards’s brother, according to family attorney Lee Merritt.

Police say the car was backing up toward responding officers, prompting one to shoot at the vehicle. A bullet broke through the front seat passenger’s window and hit Edwards. Shortly after, Edwards was rushed to a hospital, where he died from gunshot injuries. No officers were injured in the incident.
Until there is accountability, nothing changes. People get fired for forgetting to add fries to your order; maybe if they shoot customers, they can keep their jobs.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: PKFox

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟331,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
I hope this officer receives a similar punishment.

Louisiana Marshal Found Guilty in Fatal Shooting of 6-Year-Old Boy During Police Chase
A Marksville, Louisiana, marshal has been found guilty of manslaughter for the shooting of a young boy who was killed in the passenger seat of his father’s car after a police pursuit, prosecutors said Saturday.

Derrick Stafford was also convicted of attempted murder for the November 2015 shooting that killed 6-year-old Jeremy Mardis and wounded his father, Christopher Few, according to Avoyelles Parish District Attorney Charles Riddle. The boy was hit by five bullets.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟492,660.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
American cops sure do love shooting at stuff. I wonder what training makes them think that discharging a rifle in a crowded public street is going to end well.
Mostly switching to human silouette targets like soldiers, instead of black and white rings. It is the best way to make humans shoot other humans, they are used to shooting at human shaped targets and memorise the reaction without thinking about it, bypassing the concious brain.

It's called Killology, by the way.

THE SCIENCE OF CREATING KILLERS / Human reluctance to take a life can be reversed through training in the method known as killology

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
American cops sure do love shooting at stuff. I wonder what training makes them think that discharging a rifle in a crowded public street is going to end well.

Does training keep dentists from being sadistic and taking out their prejudices and other frustrations on the patient? My experience indicates that training means squat when it interferes with their need to inflict unnecessary pain and damage based on prejudice. In a perfect world with perfect people maybe. But unfortunately in this reality it really all boils down to what type of person receives the training and if that person feels obligated to do as he was trained to do.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
And this is where the culture of corruption comes to head. The police lie about the circumstances, then begin to walk back their statements, claiming they "misspoke." If you're wondering why people distrust of law enforcement, lying about how you killed an unarmed child is a good place to start.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And this is where the culture of corruption comes to head. The police lie about the circumstances, then begin to walk back their statements, claiming they "misspoke."

Now, I can understand that in a high stress situation, people involved may misinterpret what is going on around them and may further mis-remember what actually happened. Especially if they are trying to convince themselves that they acted rationally. The officer in question may, infact, really think the car was backing up towards him. So I'm not quick to jump on him as telling an intentional lie. Not that it excuses his actions, but I can see non-nefarious reasons for his story being different than what actually happened. This is also why departments shouldn't be so quick to jump on board with an officer's story.

That said, claiming they "misspoke" is stupid. Own up to it. The officer thought X happened but video shows Y happened. Not doing so just breeds mistrust.

Upvote 0

whatbogsends

Senior Veteran
Aug 29, 2003
Visit site
✟281,429.00
Faith
Atheist
And this is where the culture of corruption comes to head. The police lie about the circumstances, then begin to walk back their statements, claiming they "misspoke." If you're wondering why people distrust of law enforcement, lying about how you killed an unarmed child is a good place to start.

"Balch Springs Police Chief Jonathan Haber initially said a car was moving "aggressively" toward officers when one of them fired into it Saturday night, killing 15-year-old Jordan Edwards, but the chief told reporters Monday he "misspoke."
Haber said body camera footage of the incident showed the car was driving forward, away from the officers, not reversing toward them. "

This. 100% this. Police officers routinely lie on their reports. When video evidence emerges that contradicts their reports, they simply change their story. Lying on a police report should be a crime similar to perjury. I'm not talking about mistakes, but in situations such as this, in which an unjustified killing (i.e. murder) of a child is followed up with a lie about what happened - specifically to make the killing seem justified - should have criminal charges in of itself.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟492,660.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
"Balch Springs Police Chief Jonathan Haber initially said a car was moving "aggressively" toward officers when one of them fired into it Saturday night, killing 15-year-old Jordan Edwards, but the chief told reporters Monday he "misspoke."
Haber said body camera footage of the incident showed the car was driving forward, away from the officers, not reversing toward them. "

This. 100% this. Police officers routinely lie on their reports. When video evidence emerges that contradicts their reports, they simply change their story. Lying on a police report should be a crime similar to perjury. I'm not talking about mistakes, but in situations such as this, in which an unjustified killing (i.e. murder) of a child is followed up with a lie about what happened - specifically to make the killing seem justified - should have criminal charges in of itself.
They should just keep their mouth shut until they have investigated all the evidence.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
I can forgive a police officer making a mistake in a police report, but this is not a mistake, this is "police-speak." You see it in other situations, like an officer screaming, "Stop going for my weapon," when somebody clearly has their hands up (e.g., Marcus Jeter). Aggressively reversing a car... unless they were trying to hit you, should not result in you firing into a vehicle. Notice they never arrested the driver for his "aggressive" driving, but that's just another inconsistency in their poor justification for killing an unarmed teenager.

The real question, what if Jordan Edwards were not an honor roll student, what if he were arrested previously, should that change our response to the killing of an unarmed teenager by the police?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.