12 Benefits of Speaking in Tongues

ss51

Sep 12, 2015
✟66,927.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No, that isn't correct, the Jesus imparted to the 12, the 12 to the seventy, and on and on to today. what God does for one He will do for another, there is no hierarchy of special super duper anointed, He will grow us all as much as we desire to be grown. The goal for each believer is to grow to where people look at us and see Jesus.
blessings

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
No, that isn't correct, the Jesus imparted to the 12, the 12 to the seventy, and on and on to today. what God does for one He will do for another, there is no hierarchy of special super duper anointed, He will grow us all as much as we desire to be grown. The goal for each believer is to grow to where people look at us and see Jesus.
blessings
I put my response in the wrong place so it merged with the quote. I have now edited and corrected my post #18.

Upvote 0

ss51

Sep 12, 2015
✟66,927.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
when you get it right He will shower you with His presence, He is very much an encouraging God and wants you to be successful.
As we continue to strive to master the little things, He is true to His word to give us more.
This is the first I have heard of someone not being successful.
Try until you are successful, we are guided to wear well to the end as did Jesus, the model for our lives.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟282,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
when you get it right He will shower you with His presence, he is very much an encouraging God and wants you to be successful.
As we continue to strive to master the little things, He is true to his word to give us more.
This is the first I have heard of someone not being successful.
Try until you are successful, we are guided to wear well to the end as did Jesus, the model for our lives.
You make it sound like a skill to develop rather than a gift. As if it is up to me to practice rather than to receive.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ss51

Sep 12, 2015
✟66,927.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Recall Jesus ministry and how He ministered, "come forth!", the person had to come forth. "Pick up your bed and walk", the person had to pick up they're bed and walk.
The healing of Naaman- he had to go to the Jordan and bath 7 times, had he stopped at 6 it would not have been successful. His healing was a great gift, yet he had to be obedient. Jesus died on the cross to make these gifts available, He had to pay the price for them, the least we can do is earnestly strive to receive His precious gift.
2 Kings 5:10 Then Elisha sent him a messenger, who said, "Go and wash yourself seven times in the Jordan, and your flesh will be restored, and you will be clean."
blessings

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟775,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Jesus died on the cross to make these gifts available, He had to pay the price for them, the least we can do is earnestly strive to receive His precious gift.
Jesus died on the cross so that we might have salvation, so that our sins would be forgiven and to complete God's plan for eternal life. Saying he died so that we could receive gifts such as tongues or prophesy is bad theology. We receive those gifts via the the Holy Spirit, but not because Jesus died to make them available.

Upvote 0

ss51

Sep 12, 2015
✟66,927.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Maybe that is why you are not successful and I am, what you believe isn't true.
After the resurrection He clearly said "All authority has been given to me", and also we know from scripture, "By His stripes we are healed", it wasn't just salvation, as precious as that is.
Perhaps you need to become more mature in faith to be successful.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟775,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Maybe that is why you are not successful and I am, what you believe isn't true.
Perhaps. But turning it around, I do not believe that what you believe in this case is true.
After the resurrection He clearly said "All authority has been given to me", and also we know from scripture, "By His stripes we are healed", it wasn't just salvation, as precious as that is.
Perhaps you need to become more mature in faith to be successful.
Sure, all authority was given to him, scripture is clear on that. But that does not extend to the Holy Spirit giving the sign gifts because Jesus died. Yes, healed of our sins and the sickness of them. The scripture verses you cite (The Great Commission) does not speak of sign gifts.

Jesus gave the Disciples the authority to heal people of sickness and demons in his name prior to his crucifixion and resurrection. (Matt 10).

I am not debating that Gifts are given to us, I am simply saying that they are not given because Jesus died.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟282,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am not debating that Gifts are given to us, I am simply saying that they are not given because Jesus died.
And my main point is that there are gifts but not everyone has the same gift.

I COROINTHIANS 12
7 The Holy Spirit is given to each of us in a special way. That is for the good of all. 8 To some people the Spirit gives a message of wisdom. To others the same Spirit gives a message of knowledge. 9 To others the same Spirit gives faith. To others that one Spirit gives gifts of healing. 10 To others he gives the power to do miracles. To others he gives the ability to prophesy. To others he gives the ability to tell the spirits apart. To others he gives the ability to speak in different kinds of languages they had not known before. And to still others he gives the ability to explain what was said in those languages. 11 All the gifts are produced by one and the same Spirit. He gives gifts to each person, just as he decides.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Jesus died on the cross so that we might have salvation, so that our sins would be forgiven and to complete God's plan for eternal life. Saying he died so that we could receive gifts such as tongues or prophesy is bad theology. We receive those gifts via the the Holy Spirit, but not because Jesus died to make them available.
Disagree

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
I have been to Holy Spirit filled revivals and prayed for the gift and nothing has ever come of it. I seem to have other gifts but nothing out of the ordinary.

Gifts of the Spirit do not happen by themselves, they operate via our actions. When David slew Goliath, the stone didn't fly off by itself. David used his sling, confident that the Lord would guide the stone to his target.
Likewise all the battles of entering the promised land, God went with them and led them to victory. The moment they got lazy and stopped, God also stopped.

The same is true for prophecy or tongues. 1Cor14v32And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets.
ie. We choose to open our mouths and articulate our vocal chords, at the same time surrendering our intellectual control over the words.

This is a battle between our mental Tree of Knowledge, and our spiritual Tree of Life. As in the garden, one will always seek to destroy the other.
Tongues will not come out on their own!

That's why people talk about practicing speaking in tongues. That practice is largely about getting rid of the intellectual control and self consciousness that tries to strangle the spirit!

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
One benefit of tongues, which never gets mentioned is its value in spiritual warfare and deliverance.

I started speaking in tongues back in the 70s, and apart from the uses listed above, have used it extensively against the demonic powers and principalities that Paul speaks of in Ephesians 6.

On many occasions when I've been involved in strategic warfare, and don't possess all the facts in my head, I know that my spirit can access those facts. Thus instead of addressing the Lord in tongues, I am led by the spirit to rebuke the enemy in tongues, often very violently and for length of time. According to scripture, such words are weapons of war, just like swords, spears and arrows.

In doing so, I have seen major demonic strongholds come crashing to the ground.

• Winner
Reactions: ss51
Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
One benefit of tongues, which never gets mentioned is its value in spiritual warfare and deliverance.

I started speaking in tongues back in the 70s, and apart from the uses listed above, have used it extensively against the demonic powers and principalities that Paul speaks of in Ephesians 6.

On many occasions when I've been involved in strategic warfare, and don't possess all the facts in my head, I know that my spirit can access those facts. Thus instead of addressing the Lord in tongues, I am led by the spirit to rebuke the enemy in tongues, often very violently and for length of time. According to scripture, such words are weapons of war, just like swords, spears and arrows.

In doing so, I have seen major demonic strongholds come crashing to the ground.
We call this "warring tongues"

Upvote 0