United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
Benefits of Speaking in Tongues

The primary purpose of tongues is designed for the individual believer in his/her private prayer life. It edifies the believers and is a sign, when in a group meeting and the person speaking also interprets.

1. To speak the wonderful works of God

Acts 2:11
Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.

2. To magnify God

Acts10:46
For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God.

3. To give thanks well

I Corinthians 14:17
For thou verily givest thanks well, but the other is not edified.

4. To bring a message from God {when interpreted}

I Corinthians 14:5 & 27.

5) except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.

27) If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let that one interpret.

5. Sign to the unbelievers

I Corinthians 14:22, Mark 16:17;

I Corinthians
22) Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.

Mark
17) And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;

6. To edify you, build you up.

I Corinthians 14:4, Jude 20

I Cor 14:4
He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.

Jude 20
But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost.

7. To speak to God mysteries {divine secrets}

I Corinthians 14:2

For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

8. Makes intercession for us
Romans 8:26&7 Ephesians 6:18

Romans
26: Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.

27: And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God

Ephesians 6:18

18. Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;

9. Your proof in the senses world that you are born again.

I Corinthians 12:3
Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost.

10. To have the spirit bear witness with our spirit – Similar to #9

Romans 8:16
The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:

11. To know you are a joint-heir with Christ.

Romans 8:17
And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.

12. To strengthen you with might in the inner man

Ephesians 3:16
That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man;

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟121,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
You're off to a good start only 58 more to go! ;)

70 Reasons for Speaking in Tongues

Benefits and reasons are two different things ...I can think of a thousand of reasons everyday, but the benefits that God lays out in His Word are for the believer. I am not saying the list is exhaustive. There may be a few more ...but these are the clear cut ones.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Benefits and reasons are two different things ...I can think of a thousand of reasons everyday, but the benefits that God lays out in His Word are for the believer. I am not saying the list is exhaustive. There may be a few more ...but these are the clear cut ones.
oooook. I was just kidding around. I think it's good very good thing and I often recommend this book to people who want to learn more.

Reactions: sandman
Upvote 0

Nova2216

If truth is discounted then lies become normal.
May 16, 2020
America
Visit site
✟40,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
If I understand the scriptures correctly only the apostles of the first century could pass on the gifts to others according to (Acts 8:18,19).

Ac 8:17 Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost. 18 And when Simon saw that through laying on of the apostles' hands the Holy Ghost was given, he offered them money, 19 Saying, Give me also this power, that on whomsoever I lay hands, he may receive the Holy Ghost.

What happens when the first century apostles die? (miracles ceased)
(Zech.13:1,2) (1Cor.13.-10) (Eph. 4:11-15)

Those those who received the gifts by the apostles hands could do miracles but they could not pass the gifts on to others.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If I understand the scriptures correctly only the apostles of the first century could pass on the gifts to others according to (Acts 8:18,19).

Ac 8:17 Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost. 18 And when Simon saw that through laying on of the apostles' hands the Holy Ghost was given, he offered them money, 19 Saying, Give me also this power, that on whomsoever I lay hands, he may receive the Holy Ghost.

Those those who received the gifts by the apostles hands could do miracles but they could not pass the gifts on to others.
This is against this forum's SOP. This forum is for those who believe the gifts are still active today.

Upvote 0

ss51

Sep 12, 2015
✟66,927.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The first and most important part is the prayer language, we have been given the words our Creator wishes us to pray, what we really need to pray, and He gives us these words to pray for our blessing and for the good of the Kingdom.
Nearly every time a discussion is had right away someone missed the mark and goes to the public expression. This is something I have had much less experience with although I have seen it and seen it where there was a group of Spiritually mature who would immediately give approval or not that it was truly a valid expression of His truth by way of Holy Spirit, even here with post 8, a quick side step and bypass of the original gift and purpose for that gift.

• Agree
Reactions: ARBITER01
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ss51

Sep 12, 2015
✟66,927.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I know of and have experienced no better, stronger way to walk in His power, guidance and blessing than to pray without ceasing in the divine prayer language.
I have practiced this for 50+ years, if and when I graduate to the public I will let you.
I don't really see that happening, but we know His ways are higher than our ways.

Upvote 0

Nova2216

May 16, 2020
America
Visit site
✟40,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
This is against this forum's SOP. This forum is for those who believe the gifts are still active today.
I'm sorry, I did not realize that.

How do I tell if I can post in a thread legally?

And what's a SOP?

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

And what's a SOP?
No worries

SOP is statement of purpose. Topic/denomination specific forums have one pinned to the top of the thread list

Upvote 0

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟121,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution

When you see the benefits that God laid out in his word ….isn’t that something that pique’s your interest…..at least enough to be curious?

It seems that people look for ways to dismiss this…. rather than want to learn about the manifestations of the spirit that can benefit them in extraordinary ways …..ways that I can’t even explain, because it’s spirit.

I understand being skeptical of anything that is posted… and you should be….we all should be. That is why we “Study to show ourselves approved before God as workman that needeth not to be ashamed rightly dividing the Word of Truth”. I have worked the holy spirit field for many, many years, but I would never ask anyone to take my word for it….Take Gods word for it, His word is irrefutable…..and His word is His will.

As for the apostles being the only ones who could pass this on …Here is a link to a post I did a about a month ago SpeakinTongues. It’s a fairly short read that covers one of the main deceptions about tongues ….it is not a gift! …..It is a manifestation of the gift.

The gift we were given was holy spirit from God not a gift from the apostles…It is this holy spirit which insures our salvation with incorruptible seed. With the gift of holy spirit that we received ….. we are given the ability (at our will) to operate one or all of the 9 manifestation (not gifts) of the spirit.

1 Corinthians which discusses the manifestation of the spirit was written to the church of God to which we belong.... as chapter 1 verse 2 states.

1:2 Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both theirs and ours.

So it’s hard to imagine that God would tell us what manifestations were available to the believers (chap 12) ….then go on and instruct us on how to correctly operate tongues interpretation and prophecy in meetings (chap 14)…………… if they had ceased or were going to cease. When you look at the benefits of tongues or any other of the manifestation...don't you think they are just as necessary today as as in the time of the apostles

Likewise 1Co 13:10 which refers back to verse 8 has been used to state the “that which is perfect” (Gr = teleios) is the completed Word of God. This presents two problems…first, it’s conjecture, and I don’t base anything on conjecture when it comes to the Word of God. Secondly as verse 8 states… prophecy shall fail …..tongues shall cease and knowledge shall vanish away. IF tongues ceased and if prophecy failed ………….you wouldn’t know. Because knowledge shall vanish away….and without knowledge you wouldn’t know anything…

8. Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.

9.For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.

10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

There will come a time when verse 1 Cor 13:10 will happen ….and my speculation (which is conjecture also) is….this will take place when the body of Christ is complete…as it seems to indicate that is when the gift ministries will no longer be necessary also..... And the word perfect (Eph 4:13) is the same word used in 1 Cor 13:10 (perfect Gr = teleios) So in essence the gift ministries, tongues, prophecy... all that will not be necessary when Christ returns for the Church of God …the body of Christ ……..Us

Ephesians 4:11-13

11. And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;

12. For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:

13. Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a "perfect" man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Nova2216

May 16, 2020
America
Visit site
✟40,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
When you see the benefits that God laid out in his word ….isn’t that something that pique’s your interest…..at least enough to be curious?

It seems that people look for ways to dismiss this…. rather than want to learn about the manifestations of the spirit that can benefit them in extraordinary ways …..ways that I can’t even explain, because it’s spirit.

I understand being skeptical of anything that is posted… and you should be….we all should be. That is why we “Study to show ourselves approved before God as workman that needeth not to be ashamed rightly dividing the Word of Truth”. I have worked the holy spirit field for many, many years, but I would never ask anyone to take my word for it….Take Gods word for it, His word is irrefutable…..and His word is His will.

As for the apostles being the only ones who could pass this on …Here is a link to a post I did a about a month ago SpeakinTongues. It’s a fairly short read that covers one of the main deceptions about tongues ….it is not a gift! …..It is a manifestation of the gift.

The gift we were given was holy spirit from God not a gift from the apostles…It is this holy spirit which insures our salvation with incorruptible seed. With the gift of holy spirit that we received ….. we are given the ability (at our will) to operate one or all of the 9 manifestation (not gifts) of the spirit.

1 Corinthians which discusses the manifestation of the spirit was written to the church of God to which we belong.... as chapter 1 verse 2 states.

1:2 Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both theirs and ours.

So it’s hard to imagine that God would tell us what manifestations were available to the believers (chap 12) ….then go on and instruct us on how to correctly operate tongues interpretation and prophecy in meetings (chap 14)…………… if they had ceased or were going to cease. When you look at the benefits of tongues or any other of the manifestation...don't you think they are just as necessary today as as in the time of the apostles

Likewise 1Co 13:10 which refers back to verse 8 has been used to state the “that which is perfect” (Gr = teleios) is the completed Word of God. This presents two problems…first, it’s conjecture, and I don’t base anything on conjecture when it comes to the Word of God. Secondly as verse 8 states… prophecy shall fail …..tongues shall cease and knowledge shall vanish away. IF tongues ceased and if prophecy failed ………….you wouldn’t know. Because knowledge shall vanish away….and without knowledge you wouldn’t know anything…

8. Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.

9.For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.

10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

There will come a time when verse 1 Cor 13:10 will happen ….and my speculation (which is conjecture also) is….this will take place when the body of Christ is complete…as it seems to indicate that is when the gift ministries will no longer be necessary also..... And the word perfect (Eph 4:13) is the same word used in 1 Cor 13:10 (perfect Gr = teleios) So in essence the gift ministries, tongues, prophecy... all that will not be necessary when Christ returns for the Church of God …the body of Christ ……..Us

Ephesians 4:11-13

11. And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;

12. For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:

13. Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a "perfect" man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:

You have tempted me. (lol)

I would love to answer you but I want to keep the peace. (1Peter 3:15)

Maybe another time and place.

I will go read your post.

Thanks

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

It is risky to build a cessationist doctrine on a journal entry by someone who got the story second hand from someone else.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

And what's a SOP?
The conditions for posting in this thread are clearly stated. One of the general theology threads would be a more suitable place.

Upvote 0