1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

11 Things I Love About The Episcopal Church

Discussion in 'Scripture,Tradition,Reason-Anglican & Old Catholic' started by graceandpeace, Jan 23, 2015.

1. graceandpeace

graceandpeace Episcopalian

+543
    Private
    US-Democrat
    Anglican
  2. Yardstick

Yardstick Episcopalian

+54
    Married
    Anglican
    Yup, those are all things that drew me to TEC as well.

3. Pink Spider

Pink Spider EUROPEAN ANGLICAN Supporter

+404
    Single
    Anglican
    I like No. 4 especially! :)

4. RainsInApril

RainsInApril Junior Member

+10
    Married
    Anglican
    I loved this. It definitely speaks to my experience with TEC.

5. RaylightI

RaylightI Active Member

+97
    Married
    Christian
    I'm a member of the Anglican Church of Canada, and it is very similar to the Episcopal Church, therefor I find these 11 things that draw the writer to the Episcopal Church are the same reasons that draw me to the Anglican Church of Canada.

I love how Anglicans focus on Christ, and how they believe that God is in the now. God is not stuck in the past, He wants us to learn and evolve while remain faithful to our roots and orthodox principals. How Anglicanism is a living church rather than a cold dogmatic church.

6. graceandpeace

+543
    Private
    US-Democrat
    Anglican
    I suspected there would be some similarities between those two churches. :)

I actually came across this link on a social media page, & the person(s) that run the page followed up that the link had been shared with others hundreds of times. That is just great news to me. I had no idea what an Episcopal church even was for the longest time, so hopefully this will awaken some interest in others.

7. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+9,863
    Married
    Anglican
    Things I like about The Episcopal Church:

The buildings are usually beautiful, inside and out. To my Anglican mind, this makes for an uplifting and peaceful setting for worship.

Episcopalians (usually) are friendly, normal people. I feel comfortable with them so long as we stay away from doctrinal disputes. Some other churches....well, some do have a nit-picking, desk-pounding edge to the way the members think of the faith.

Episcopalians are aware of Church history and think in terms of being part of it.

Generally speaking, Episcopal clergy strike a nice balance in their manner and attire between too-casual and too-showy. I am not comfortable with a guy in Levi's leading Bible study OR with birettas, etc. and other such adornments meant to shout "I'm really a priest, really!"

:)

8. everbecoming2007

everbecoming2007 Well-Known Member

+117
    Single
    Anglican
    I appreciate all of these things as well.

I am also drawn to how reserved the culture tends to be, yet without being unfriendly or cold. It has been the only place I've experienced that gave me my space even through the conversion process. I don't have to be overly talkative or extroverted unless I want to or have something to say.

When I had been absent quite a while for various reasons, I was afraid when I came back I would have lots of excited people around me wondering where I'd been, but that's not how it was. It was the same as always. People who know me smile warmly and wave, they seem genuinely happy to see me, but that's it.

9. Pink Spider

Pink Spider EUROPEAN ANGLICAN Supporter

+404
    Single
    Anglican
    Me too! :)

10. graceandpeace

+543
    Private
    US-Democrat
    Anglican
    Yes, I receive smiles & hellos, but I don't feel railroaded with people asking me questions or otherwise bothering me. I can just enter into worship with some peace.

11. Destiny2015

Destiny2015 Newbie

+15
    Married
    Christian
    Most of this is what has gotten a hold of me.

12. Agulhas

Agulhas Newbie

+1
    Single
    Anglican
    That any baptized Christian can receive communion :)

13. Agulhas

Agulhas Newbie

+1
    Single
    Anglican
    Exactly Albion, always on the dot!

14. brinny

brinny everlovin' shiner of light in dark places Supporter

+66,096
    Private
    US-Constitution
    Non-Denominational
    Thank you for sharing the link. All of those things are very precious, and i found myself being edified by the list....

My own experience with an Episcopal church was when i was advocating on behalf of an abused woman with two small children. She was Ethiopian and spoke no English and was without ANY support or anyone who could speak encouragement to her or communicate. Lo and behold, an episcopal Church stepped in, sending a very skilled and wise interpreter who was familiar with her culture.

This interpreter was a God-send, as was the Church that sent her.

15. graceandpeace

+543
    Private
    US-Democrat
    Anglican
    Great story, thanks for sharing!

16. brinny

brinny everlovin' shiner of light in dark places Supporter

+66,096
    Private
    US-Constitution
    Non-Denominational
    You are MOST welcome. It's an unforgettable one for me and for the precious Ethiopian woman and her children....God's timing and SURE intervention was inexplicable.....

NOBODY would help her before the interpreter intervened.....it looked utterly hopeless.....THEN there was light shining in darkness.....

God is GOOD.