Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In the pantheon of classic rock songs, there's arguably no tune more classic than “Stairway to Heaven.” Led Zeppelin’s 1971 opus has it all: mystical lyrics, memorable riffs, a monster guitar solo, and crazy urban legends involving Hobbits and the Devil. In celebration of the song’s 50th anniversary, here are 11 facts about "Stairway to Heaven" that are guaranteed to put a bustle in your hedgerow—whatever that means.

1. “STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN” FEATURES AN INSTRUMENT YOU PLAYED IN SECOND GRADE.

In the opening section of the song, Zeppelin bassist John Paul Jones traded his four-string for a recorder—that old standby of elementary school music classes—and played it with a medieval flourish. Guitarist Jimmy Page has called the passage a “poor man’s" version of Bach’s "Bourrée in E minor.”

Continued below.
11 Facts About Led Zeppelin's "Stairway to Heaven"

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Wow blast from the past! I remember getting really into led Zeppelin in the early 80s after their drummer died etc.

Hey a year ago my friend Stan sent me a link to this video! :)

• Haha
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,445.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I often think of LOTR when I hear Stairway to Heaven because of a sermon I heard from a totally clueless pastor. He ranted that you can't buy The Stairway to Heaven.

DOH, totally missed the old saying 'All that glitters is not Gold'. An saying that dates back to at least the 12th or 13 century in some form and to Willie S. in that exact form.

Which was inverted by Tolkein in LOTR.

All that is gold does not glitter,
not all those who wander are lost...

Anyone with more than half a brain can see that the opening line of Stairway is ironic/sarcastic and meant to make it clear that she is a fool. As are some pastors.

Upvote 0