Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This is my second post exploring the connection of East and West in the Church (with the first focused on Orthodox saints brought into the Catholic Churchthrough the Eastern rites). When looking at the relationship of the Catholic and Orthodox Churches (as distinct from the Oriental Orthodox Churches, which are not treated in this post), we generally point to 1054 as the clear cut date when the two churches split in a great schism. Is 1054, however, a clear line in the sand? The excommunication placed on the altar of Hagia Sophia by Cardinal Humbert Moyenmoutier did not have the entire Orthodox Church in its scope and, furthermore, did not have the force of law, as the Pope Leo IX had died during this diplomatic mission.

Pope-Leo-IX-and-the-Patriarch-of-Constantinople-Michael-I-Cerularius.jpg

Michael Cerularius and Pope Leo IX
1054 captures our imagination, nonetheless, and it is therefore worth exploring the much more detailed narrative of the complicated history East and West that entailed more back and forth both before and after 1054. I’ve been thinking about this for many years, and, even after jotting down some initial notes for this post, I was happy to see two other articles addressing a more complete account of what occurred, trying to give a bigger picture: Nathan Smolin’s helpful overview of the events of 1054 and Charles Yost’s reconsideration of the traditional narrative of the schism. Metropolitan Kallistos Ware also provides important testimony to continuing intercommunion in the early modern period, pointing to a process of growing apart, rather than a single event.

Continued below.
1054? The More Complicated History of East-West Relations

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
As I recall, the excommunication Bull referred to "Michael Cerularius and all his followers". I guess that it is a matter of interpretation as to what "all his followers meant". Now, it may well be true that the Bull laid out by Cardinal Humbert had no force and effect. However, if true, then we might ask why did Pope Paul cancel the Catholic excommunication, jointly with Patriarch Athenagoras, who cancelled the Orthodox excommunication? If the Catholic excommunication was in effect invalid, then I guess Pope Paul's efforts were basically done as an expression of goodwill.

As to the thrust of your post, it is true that the history of the break between East and West is rather involved. First, there was a temporary split prior to 1054, called the Photian schism between 863 and 867. Then there were two attempts at reconciliation after the Great Schism, but they did not last long.

Upvote 0