101 Things To Do During A Dull Sermon

Some years ago the Wittenburg Door put out a book called ' 101 Things To Do During A Dull Sermon' by Tim Sims and Dan Pegoda. Here is a portion:

A Modest Proposal
Write a letter to the church board proposing a lottery to help finance the new building program. Be certain you have done adequate research by playing the lottery a few times yourself before making the proposal. (Deduct your losses by describing your activity as 'religious research'.)

Six Days You Shall Labor
Since many people in your congregation only work five days a week, devise a list of jobs for the sixth day and submit it to those people after church. Job ideas might include work on the church property, publicity, visitation, painting your swimming pool, etc.. Your fellow worshippers will be so glad for your help in this matter.

Methusehah
See how many words you can make out of the word Methuselah.

Score:
1-9 words - Some boring spots in sermon
10-20 words - Lots of boring spots in sermon
21-40 words - Totally boring sermon
41 or more words - Even the minister is bored and has decided to help you.

Go Tell It On The Mountain
Write a note to your preacher offering to loan him all of your camping gear if he will take off for a few weeks.

Ananias & Sapphira List
With due consideration for the net worth of each member and their motives for giving, list the names of the 'Ten Most Likely To Be Struck Dead During The Offering'.

Jumbled Context
Open your Bible at random and point to a verse. write it down. Repeat the process until you've received a personal message from scripture. Example: 'Pay their expenses so that they may shave their heads...' (Acts 21:24) '...and your Father who sees in secret will reward you', (Matthew 6:18).

Missionary Pilot
Using bulletins or attendance cards for raw materials, design, test and modify a collection of paper airplanes.

Request
Pass a note to the organist asking whether he/she plays requests.

Yawn
See if a yawn really is contagious.

Potty Break
Raise your hand and ask permission to go to the toilet.

Turn The Other Cheek
Slap your neighbour. See if he or she turns the other cheek. If he or she doesn't, raise your hand and tell the pastor.

To Bernie Or Not To Bernie
Pass a note to someone named Bernie, but first make sure there is no-one named Bernie in your congregation.

Liberal Church Altar Call
If you are attending a liberal church, come forward to be 'born again' toward the end of the sermon: that will really throw things into a tizzy.

Hot Message
Sound travels faster at high temperatures. Ask the church janitor to turn off the air conditioning so the sermon would reach you sooner and end earlier.

1000 Years
If, in the Lord's sight, a day is as a thousand years and a thousand years is as a day, how many years would this sermon be consuming if it were a thousand year day? Share your answer with the pastor.

Can you think of anything else to do during a dull sermon?

Auntie

THANK YOU JESUS!!
Apr 16, 2002
Visit site
✟27,878.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Funny stuff, Bright Eyes! :D

During a really boring sermon, keep shouting Amen!  That should keep everyone awake!  I really love the guy who sits up front and starts snoring 10 minutes into the sermon.  I mean I really love the guy, coz he's my husband! :D

Upvote 0

altya

Servant of God
Apr 28, 2002
South Africa
Visit site
✟14,320.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Originally posted by Auntie_Belle_Um
Funny stuff, Bright Eyes! :D

During a really boring sermon, keep shouting Amen!  That should keep everyone awake!  I really love the guy who sits up front and starts snoring 10 minutes into the sermon.  I mean I really love the guy, coz he's my husband! :D

:D :D :D

Upvote 0

lucypevensie

Not drinking the kool-aid
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2002
WI
✟1,775,000.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In our old church sanctuary we had 15 big chandelliers with about 25 candle-flame light bulbs in each one. During dull sermons some people would look up at the light fixtures and count the burned-out light bulbs. At the end of the service compare totals with others

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
My personal philosophy is:
I am never bored.

If I find myself thinking that I'm getting bored, I know that I'm not paying attention to what I'm doing.

When I pay close attention to what the preacher is saying, and make an effort to understand his words, I find those words interesting, and I find that he's giving a message that's important to my life.

If we pay attention to what others say, we just might hear what they say.

Upvote 0

simplicity

incredibly ordinary member
Jun 29, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
✟3,507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I think my church used to be a dance hall. There's a small disco-light on the ceiling.

Then again, I noticed during Easter service some members were dancing to the music so hard, I could actually feel the floor trembling.
:angel:

The actual "sermon" is normally pretty interesting. Sometimes it's rather scholarly. I'm not normally bored.

Our pastor tends to make surprise requests I guess to keep everybody on their toes. So he might ask people to join him up front to pray. He once did a rather ad hoc sermon asking for volunteers to join in a prayer walk. Our city was celebrating Gay Pride Day - so in response we prayed for God to forgive and help our city.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Susan

退屈させた1 つ (bored one)
Feb 16, 2002
El Cajon, California, USA
Visit site
✟15,012.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
LOL :) :pink:

I do the same things. . . 

To all:

What is the most boring sermon you have ever heard?

One time, when my church's senior pastor was away, one of the other pastors delivered an hour-long discourse on small groups as the sermon. I have never been so glad to hear the closing hymn (which woke me up) :sleep:

To the person whose post is above mine:

How are you? I heard about that typhoon there in Manila. . . :eek: Scary. I think you would like California weather much better now, as it is humid and near 90 to 100 almost every day here. :sick: 

Did you get my PM? 

Upvote 0

simplicity

incredibly ordinary member
Jun 29, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
✟3,507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
:angel: I'm trying to think of a truly boring sermon.

I think this was during Mother's Day. Our pastor sat down to let one of the elders - a lady - talk about finding a perfect mother in the Bible. The elder started to discuss nearly all the women in the Bible - one by one - starting from Eve. It took so long. After Mary, the elder said she sadly couldn't find a perfect mom in the Bible. I felt pretty upset at that point. But then she said, God is the perfect mom.

Let's just say I got out of church fourty-five minutes later than usual that day.

Upvote 0