jacksknight

Mar 16, 2016
USA
✟1,214.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Came across this in my bible study today...so in theory it has only benn 2 days to God in Heaven...He likes to use 3 day jonah, jesus on cross...so why not for his return? So in a little less than 1000 years he will return?

I think i would not go to your "bible study" anymore if i was you.

Upvote 0

jacksknight

Mar 16, 2016
USA
✟1,214.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was doing reading on my own...came across the verse that 1000 days is 1 day to god...trying to get views on it

I see. Well first off you get into trouble trying to predict Christ's return. It's not something you should spend your time on because no one can know according to the Bible. According to the Bible i don't think even Jesus knows the time of his return.

"But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only."

Perhaps he does, since him and the Father are one, but defiantly no one else does or can know.

As far as the verse you are talking about..

"But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day."

The verse is not speaking of actual time or times. It is meant to explain God's timelessness. It doesn't have anything to do with actual days or a prediction of time. Notice it doesn't say 1000 days is 1 day. It says 1 day is AS 1000 years.

Peter was actually quoting this psalm..

"For a thousand years in thy sight are but as yesterday when it is past, and as a watch in the night."

That's why in the next verse he goes on to explain..

"The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is long suffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance."

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
There are people here who believe creation week lasted a 1000 years each day--and that the 7th day of rest if not until the 1000 year rein---which means that God created the trees and grass and all that, and then followed it with 500 years of darkness---not too good for the vegetation. Each day was an evening and a morning---500 years of each for every creation--
vegetation was on day 3--so day 4, 5, and 6, each had 500 years of darkness??? Adam and Eve then spend 500 years in the dark right after they were created??? The evening came first--evening and morning. You really want to believe this???

Upvote 0

jacksknight

Mar 16, 2016
USA
✟1,214.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are people here who believe creation week lasted a 1000 years each day--and that the 7th day of rest if not until the 1000 year rein---which means that God created the trees and grass and all that, and then followed it with 500 years of darkness---not too good for the vegetation. Each day was an evening and a morning---500 years of each for every creation--
vegetation was on day 3--so day 4, 5, and 6, each had 500 years of darkness??? Adam and Eve then spend 500 years in the dark right after they were created??? The evening came first--evening and morning. You really want to believe this???

Clearly she wasn't talking about that, so you can take a deep breath and relax.

Reactions: ml5363
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Came across this in my bible study today...so in theory it has only benn 2 days to God in Heaven...He likes to use 3 day jonah, jesus on cross...so why not for his return? So in a little less than 1000 years he will return?

I don't think it is talking about any sort of mathematical ratio, but rather it is talk about the timelessness of God. Similarly, Matthew 18:22 is not saying that you should forgive your brother or sister 77 times, but watch out for the 78th time.

Reactions: jacksknight
Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Clearly she wasn't talking about that, so you can take a deep breath and relax.

That just comes next according to this--

They believe we are in day 6 of creation today. It is so convoluted and you can not make them understand. They insist there is a "spiritual" creation and a physical creation and it just gives you a headache to talk to them. Also that Adam was created on day 3 not day 6-- There is a whole thread about it, I went around in circles with one them till I finally had to walk away! It was just fun at first then I realized they just totally deny the power of God to do as He says--created the earth in 6 literal days. It gets really bizarre. As next comes that Gen 2 is talking about a 2nd creation, not the details of the first---truly gives you a headache!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jacksknight

Mar 16, 2016
USA
✟1,214.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That just comes next according to this--

They believe we are in day 6 of creation today. It is so convoluted and you can not make them understand. They insist there is a "spiritual" creation and a physical creation and it just gives you a headache to talk to them. Also that Adam was created on day 3 not day 6-- There is a whole thread about it, I went around in circles with one them till I finally had to walk away! It was just fun at first then I realized they just totally deny the power of God to do as He says--created the earth in 6 literal days. It gets really bizarre. As next comes that Gen 2 is talking about a 2nd creation, not the details of the first---truly gives you a headache!!

Well if it gives you a headache and its a bother to talk to them then don't. She is just asking a question, if you don't want to help then don't. But she certainly doesn't need to be belittled for asking a question.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Well if it gives you a headache and its a bother to talk to them then don't. She is just asking a question, if you don't want to help then don't. But she certainly doesn't need to be belittled for asking a question.

Criminy!! I wasn't belittling her--just pointing out some problems with this!!!

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟439,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Peter was not giving a precise idea of 'time' to us - but that God is outside of time.
Time doesnt exist for God at all.
So what feels like 1000 years to us, is but a day to God.

Timelessness cannot be measured.
But to gain an idea of timelessness - we understand there is a difference between time and without time.

Reactions: jacksknight
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,052,512.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

If you're referring to 2 Peter 3:8, he says that with the Lord a day is LIKE a 1000 years - it's a simile. He doesn't say that it is literally 1000 years. How would you measure the year in any case? Our calendar is different to the one the Jews use, and even it has changed a few times since Jesus died.

Also, the sign of Jonah that Jesus gave was pointing to his resurrection, not his second coming. He said that no one knows the day or hour.

Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
not only is 1 day is as 1000 years but it is also said that 1000 years is as 1 day.

2Cor 4:16-18 (YLT)
wherefore, we faint not, but if also our outward man doth decay, yet the inward is renewed day by day; for the momentary light matter of our tribulation, more and more exceedingly an age-during weight of glory doth work out for us-- we not looking to the things seen, but to the things not seen; for the things seen are temporary, but the things not seen are age-during.

maybe the 1000 year reign is the life we live on the earth with God for in the world it seems life last long and yet in heaven it will have felt like a day. but also in heaven it would seem that we shall so clearly see the beauty of our lives in Christ that it will be like 1000 years, if it was lived in the two great commandments. maybe we get to participate along with the angels in helping the world after we die so the reign of the kingdom of heaven is our human life and in heaven in being good spirits assisting the world and praising God, thus the 1 and the 1000.

also "the momentary light matter of our tribulation" (1 day) compared to the "more and more exceedingly an age-during weight of glory doth work out for us" (1000 years)

"things seen are temporary" (1 day), but that the "not seen are age-during." (1000 years)

also the "outward man doth decay" (1 day) but "the inward is renewed day by day;" ( 1000 years)

Luke 17:20-24 (YLT)
And having been questioned by the Pharisees, when the reign of God doth come, he answered them, and said, `The reign of God doth not come with observation; nor shall they say, Lo, here; or lo, there; for lo, the reign of God is within you.' And he said unto his disciples, `Days will come, when ye shall desire to see one of the days of the Son of Man, and ye shall not behold it ; and they shall say to you, Lo, here; or lo, there; ye may not go away, nor follow; for as the lightning that is lightening out of the one part under heaven, to the other part under heaven doth shine, so shall be also the Son of Man in his day;

the lightning happens so fast (1 day) but also all of heaven is lighted up by it (1000 years), so we see the fast nature of human life but also the significance of it to and in heaven. for the deeper parts of us are already rooted in eternity and yet we exist as creatures in time.

so I think that our short human lives is like a very intense time for our spirit and soul to flourish in this hard world of trials but to our spirit it is like 1000 years of growth and expansion towards the Lord because in heaven we can more clearly feel and see God but in the earth we are pretty dumbed down and so have in some ways more ability to freely express certain things to God like our faith and weakness as fragile creatures but still clinging to the Lord in our times of darkness and weakness.

the parables explain my thoughts as well concerning the spiritual development of different people depending on what they do with the time allotted us, when we die and go to the next age since our treasures are in heaven and we are seated in heavenly places with Christ. long bible quotes:

Luke 19:11-27 (YLT)
And while they are hearing these things, having added he spake a simile, because of his being nigh to Jerusalem, and of their thinking that the reign of God is about presently to be made manifest. He said therefore, `A certain man of birth went on to a far country, to take to himself a kingdom, and to return, and having called ten servants of his own, he gave to them ten pounds, and said unto them, Do business--till I come; and his citizens were hating him, and did send an embassy after him, saying, We do not wish this one to reign over us. `And it came to pass, on his coming back, having taken the kingdom, that he commanded these servants to be called to him, to whom he gave the money, that he might know what any one had done in business. `And the first came near, saying, Sir, thy pound did gain ten pounds; and he said to him, Well done, good servant, because in a very little thou didst become faithful, be having authority over ten cities. `And the second came, saying, Sir, thy pound made five pounds; and he said also to this one, And thou, become thou over five cities. `And another came, saying, Sir, lo, thy pound, that I had lying away in a napkin; for I was afraid of thee, because thou art an austere man; thou takest up what thou didst not lay down, and reapest what thou didst not sow. `And he saith to him, Out of thy mouth I will judge thee, evil servant: thou knewest that I am an austere man, taking up what I did not lay down, and reaping what I did not sow! and wherefore didst thou not give my money to the bank, and I, having come, with interest might have received it? `And to those standing by he said, Take from him the pound, and give to him having the ten pounds-- (and they said to him, Sir, he hath ten pounds) -- for I say to you, that to every one having shall be given, and from him not having, also what he hath shall be taken from him, but those my enemies, who did not wish me to reign over them, bring hither and slay before me.'

Mark 4:1-34 (YLT)
And again he began to teach by the sea, and there was gathered unto him a great multitude, so that he, having gone into the boat, sat in the sea, and all the multitude was near the sea, on the land, and he taught them many things in similes, and he said to them in his teaching: `Hearken, lo, the sower went forth to sow; and it came to pass, in the sowing, some fell by the way, and the fowls of the heaven did come and devour it; and other fell upon the rocky ground, where it had not much earth, and immediately it sprang forth, because of not having depth of earth, and the sun having risen, it was scorched, and because of not having root it did wither; and other fell toward the thorns, and the thorns did come up, and choke it, and fruit it gave not; and other fell to the good ground, and was giving fruit, coming up and increasing, and it bare, one thirty-fold, and one sixty, and one an hundred.' And he said to them, `He who is having ears to hear--let him hear.' And when he was alone, those about him, with the twelve, did ask him of the simile, and he said to them, `To you it hath been given to know the secret of the reign of God, but to those who are without, in similes are all the things done; that seeing they may see and not perceive, and hearing they may hear and not understand, lest they may turn, and the sins may be forgiven them.' And he saith to them, `Have ye not known this simile? and how shall ye know all the similes? He who is sowing doth sow the word; and these are they by the way where the word is sown: and whenever they may hear, immediately cometh the Adversary, and he taketh away the word that hath been sown in their hearts. `And these are they, in like manner, who on the rocky ground are sown: who, whenever they may hear the word, immediately with joy do receive it, and have not root in themselves, but are temporary; afterward tribulation or persecution having come because of the word, immediately they are stumbled. `And these are they who toward the thorns are sown: these are they who are hearing the word, and the anxieties of this age, and the deceitfulness of the riches, and the desires concerning the other things, entering in, choke the word, and it becometh unfruitful. `And these are they who on the good ground have been sown: who do hear the word, and receive, and do bear fruit, one thirty-fold, and one sixty, and one an hundred.' And he said to them, `Doth the lamp come that under the measure it may be put, or under the couch--not that it may be put on the lamp-stand? for there is not anything hid that may not be manifested, nor was anything kept hid but that it may come to light. If any hath ears to hear--let him hear.' And he said to them, `Take heed what ye hear; in what measure ye measure, it shall be measured to you; and to you who hear it shall be added; for whoever may have, there shall be given to him, and whoever hath not, also that which he hath shall be taken from him.' And he said, `Thus is the reign of God: as if a man may cast the seed on the earth, and may sleep, and may rise night and day, and the seed spring up and grow, he hath not known how; for of itself doth the earth bear fruit, first a blade, afterwards an ear, afterwards full corn in the ear; and whenever the fruit may yield itself, immediately he doth send forth the sickle, because the harvest hath come.' And he said, `To what may we liken the reign of God, or in what simile may we compare it? As a grain of mustard, which, whenever it may be sown on the earth, is less than any of the seeds that are on the earth; and whenever it may be sown, it cometh up, and doth become greater than any of the herbs, and doth make great branches, so that under its shade the fowls of the heaven are able to rest.' And with many such similes he was speaking to them the word, as they were able to hear, and without a simile he was not speaking to them, and by themselves, to his disciples he was expounding all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

It's not a mathematical formula for how God experiences time. It's a statement about the relative irrelevancy of time to God, for God a day might as well be a thousand years and a thousand years might as well be a day--time as we experience it is meaningless in regard to God. God who is faithful in keeping His promises, which is what Peter is driving home. Whether Christ comes in ten minutes or in ten thousand years, God is faithful. All things in His timing, His way--not ours.

-CryptoLutheran

Reactions: Strong in Him
Upvote 0

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟274,884.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I was just seeing parallels with three days...not saying would happen...so in layman terms what does that mean. ? Lol

Jesus spent 30 year obeying, 3 years teaching, and 3 hours on the Cross redeeming. Maybe there is something to the number 3

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
It is not that God is not aware of time--He uses it to His own purpose--For Him, a 1000 years is no big deal when seen in the light of eternity. To us it has specific limitations for we are creatures of time according to the set limits of this galaxy which God has given us. He set the time structure and knows what it means in our lives. He can transcend that in His own world, but He works within the time frames He has given us. The bible is full of time---prophecies are with in times, God has His "allotted times"--He gave us the sun moon and stars
(Gen 1:14 KJV) And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:

He gave us time---But He is not ruled by it. He rules it.

Reactions: Strong in Him
Upvote 0