Heaven of course!
✟117,723.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Our library has a program for parents and their kids to read 1000 books by kindergarten, starting from birth up. I have read a little over 200 so far! I think reading to my daughter will help her learn pre reading skills and become a strong reader in the future.What books do you like to read to your kids?

These have been some of my favorites:

Children's Bible and various Bible stories
Nursery Rhymes
Dr. Seuss
Amelia Bedelia
Letters and Numbers books

I also challenge parents to do the same with their kids. Reading is a super good habit to get into. We write the books down and she gets a prize every 100 books. She is 7 months old, but they have hand puppets. She loves gets! We got a book bag with the logo for the first 100...

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,575.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
My parents used to read for me as a child, and I still enjoy reading as one of my hobbies. I also enjoyed some stories so much that I had my parents read them to me many times.

That said, 1000 books in what, 4 years seems a bit much. But maybe it works.

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Being read to as a small child are some of my best memories. I got to pick the book, sit on a big lap, and hear a story! And sure enough by three, could pick out the letter "A" on a page and things like that. Yes, reading to children, even tiny ones, is awesome!

Upvote 0

Liza B.

His grace is sufficient
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2017
Midwest
✟163,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Our library has a program for parents and their kids to read 1000 books by kindergarten, starting from birth up. I have read a little over 200 so far! I think reading to my daughter will help her learn pre reading skills and become a strong reader in the future.What books do you like to read to your kids?

Nursery Rhymes
Dr. Seuss
Amelia Bedelia

I also challenge parents to do the same with their kids. Reading is a super good habit to get into. We write the books down and she gets a prize every 100 books. She is 7 months old, but they have hand puppets. She loves gets! We got a book bag with the logo for the first 100...

This is fantastic. If every parent would do this, and put an almost total ban on smartphones and the blasted iPad for their young children, we would be so much better off. SO much better.

To be clear, I'm a teacher. Of rather long duration--I started teaching even before most people had email..oh boy. The changes we are seeing in kinders coming in are downright alarming. Sure, the iPad programs might be teaching kids their letters really fast. The price is their sensory systems, attention span, ability to build and maintain friendships including the basics of even sharing, their ability to handle even a tiny bit of frustration. And that is just the beginning of my list.

It's crack for their brains. It's horrible for them. As it turns out, the best thing for children is the good old fashioned stuff: read to them. Sing to them, oh please. Roll in the grass. Blow bubbles. Play with play doh. Legos. Color. When they get older, and they tell you they're bored, tell them what parents have been saying for generations: "I can give you something to do". It teaches them that you are not there to entertain them, and they must make their own fun. They will. And they will be more creative, resourceful children for it.

Okay, that's my PSA for today. Good job, mama. Your daughter's future teachers will be thrilled, not to mention your daughter. :)

Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Nursery Rhymes
Dr. Seuss
Amelia Bedelia

Reading bedtime stories to my kids was one of my greatest pleasures when they were young, and my children seemed to enjoy it, too. Reading time was a good bonding time in our family.

Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
At what age does a toddler begin to understand that (s)he's being read to?
“By the time they turn 1, most babies know about 50 words. Simple nouns that refer to objects or people, such as dog and mama, are usually the first words they learn, followed within the next several months by a few verbs, like hug and kiss, and a nascent understanding of the way words work together in sentences.

Then, at 18 to 21 months, children suddenly launch into what experts call a "language explosion," learning an average of nine new words a day, and they also begin to understand how word order affects meaning. Once this happens, kids start to figure out not just that you're talking about them but what you're saying. For example, if your 20-month-old hears you complain that she pulled the dog's ears, she'll probably pick up on her name and the word dog, but now she'll also realize that you think she did something bad.”

Source: What Toddlers Understand When Adults Talk

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,575.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I think the intention is to help the child develop the neccessary brain connections to understand by exposing it to a lot of spoken word.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In my experience, probably around age 12 to 18 months. Before that it is just talking to them; which is important as well.

Upvote 0

Mayflower1

Hello my Name is "Child of the One True King"
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2005
Heaven of course!
✟117,723.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My parents used to read for me as a child, and I still enjoy reading as one of my hobbies. I also enjoyed some stories so much that I had my parents read them to me many times.

That said, 1000 books in what, 4 years seems a bit much. But maybe it works.
One book a day for a year is 365 and kids books are super short. I usually can read a few to her a day. In 7 months we are at 225...I try to at least read one a day.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mayflower1

Hello my Name is "Child of the One True King"
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2005
Heaven of course!
✟117,723.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think it is more of the impression it leaves/rtime spent with them. And reading provides word recognition.

Upvote 0