Visit site
✟1,473,476.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I have two diamonds which were originally set in a pair of earrings my dad gave my mum for their first wedding anniversary. One of the earrings broke, and mum gave me the stones to set in my engagement ring.

I had a set made where the wedding band sits inside the engagement ring (a bit like this, but much less bling):

f5c0b76870ebf5e7fec1cd3635b5d48e.jpg

If I were to choose again based on my current taste, it'd probably be an art deco or art nouveau styled marquise stone; not necessarily a diamond. Sapphires are lovely...

Reactions: Deidre32
Upvote 0

Deidre32

Follow Thy Heart
Mar 23, 2014
Somewhere else...
✟74,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have two diamonds which were originally set in a pair of earrings my dad gave my mum for their first wedding anniversary. One of the earrings broke, and mum gave me the stones to set in my engagement ring.

I had a set made where the wedding band sits inside the engagement ring (a bit like this, but much less bling):

View attachment 248249

If I were to choose again based on my current taste, it'd probably be an art deco or art nouveau styled marquise stone; not necessarily a diamond. Sapphires are lovely...
That looks beautiful! That's so ironic, too...I was looking at rings yesterday online, and this was a style that I wasn't familiar with.

Upvote 0

barefeetonholyground

CF member for 15 years!
Oct 26, 2003
Kitsap County, Washington
✟34,761.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
View media item 61147I spent quite a bit of time working in fine jewelry at Macy's and it kind of ruined diamonds for me.
I'm only impressed by really high quality diamonds (colorless and SI2 or better grade).
When we went shopping we were a little on a budget since he was having issues making it to work and ran out of paid leave (he has Crohn's disease) and didn't want to go too far into his savings.
So we agreed to even look at non diamond engagement rings and maybe some day in the future get that $7k solitaire he would have bought me.
We ended up buying the first ring I saw.
A 2.5 carat LeVian deep indigo colored Tanzanite in rose gold and accented with chocolate diamonds.
I don't want anything else now. I've always dreamed of owning a LeVian.
My Wedding ring is also a LeVian.
It's the rose gold band with the chocolate diamonds.
His is the simple yellow gold band.
It belonged to my grandfather, who passed away a couple weeks before our wedding.

Attachments

• 20181224_163132.jpg
    20181224_163132.jpg
    339.4 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Tanzanite is much rarer than diamonds. Good choice.

My wife has rings of Tanzanite, Helenite and Pamirite.

Upvote 0

barefeetonholyground

CF member for 15 years!
Oct 26, 2003
✟34,761.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Deidre32

Follow Thy Heart
Mar 23, 2014
Somewhere else...
✟74,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
View media item 61147I spent quite a bit of time working in fine jewelry at Macy's and it kind of ruined diamonds for me.
I'm only impressed by really high quality diamonds (colorless and SI2 or better grade).
When we went shopping we were a little on a budget since he was having issues making it to work and ran out of paid leave (he has Crohn's disease) and didn't want to go too far into his savings.
So we agreed to even look at non diamond engagement rings and maybe some day in the future get that $7k solitaire he would have bought me.
We ended up buying the first ring I saw.
A 2.5 carat LeVian deep indigo colored Tanzanite in rose gold and accented with chocolate diamonds.
I don't want anything else now. I've always dreamed of owning a LeVian.
My Wedding ring is also a LeVian.
It's the rose gold band with the chocolate diamonds.
His is the simple yellow gold band.
It belonged to my grandfather, who passed away a couple weeks before our wedding.
I’m normally not into e-rings that aren’t diamonds but your pic has changed my mind. Beautiful!! :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

barefeetonholyground

CF member for 15 years!
Oct 26, 2003
✟34,761.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I’m normally not into e-rings that aren’t diamonds but your pic has changed my mind. Beautiful!! :)
I'm glad to hear that.
If my standards for diamonds weren't so high, I probably would have gone for one. ^_^

• Haha
Reactions: Deidre32
Upvote 0

Deidre32

Follow Thy Heart
Mar 23, 2014
Somewhere else...
✟74,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The thing too is that so many diamonds are sourced by cruel methods. So, mine wasn't, and it's important to really research where you are purchasing your diamond, and frankly, there are a lot of man-made diamonds (cz's etc) that you can have placed in a gold setting, and they are quite lovely. I think that the whole ring thing is very personal, whatever you like, is what matters most. And staying away from cruel methods of how to obtain those gems. :)

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Been watching Victoria starring Jenna Coleman on PBS. One of the younger ladies got engaged to a young courtier and he gave her a ring with a square black stone on it. Using diamonds for engagement rings seems to be a unique modern English/US tradition not shared with the rest of the world.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,473,476.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I believe it's the result of a brilliant marketing campaign by De Beers in the 1930s and 40s. "A diamond is forever" was their slogan. Before that, diamonds were by no means the default.

• Agree
Reactions: Toro
Upvote 0