100% going to heaven vs sometimes doubtful of it. Who is the correct person?

KyleSpringer

Feb 13, 2018
Canton
✟12,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You're either 100% sure or you're not.
You may have those that are 110% (don’t forget the 10%) sure or 99% sure with some hesitations, but that is not to say you must be certain to be saved, I’m only saying that you can’t be saved and not know it.

You can be confident without being proud and you can have questions without doubting.

Upvote 0

usexpat97

kewlness
Aug 1, 2012
Ecuador
✟76,839.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I’m only saying that you can’t be saved and not know it.

Why not? One thing we all have in common on this forum is, we are not dead and actually in Heaven. I don't see anything less-than-understandable if some people (me included) have some Doubting Thomas in them, until they actually stand before Jesus and He tells them personally, "You're with me now."

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟728,236.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Who is more correct in their view?
A. A person who knows without a doubt they are 100% going to heaven.
B. A person who sometimes has doubts about it?

May seem like an obvious answer of A is the right choice as they are sure they know where they are going. But the bible does say many will stand before Him and He will say "Go away, I do not know you." This is why I feel person B is more correct. Many people sometimes have doubts or worries. It's normal.

But often I find people A to be "holier than thou", judgemental, self-righteous...etc. The kind of people that the bible says often are knocked down from their perch of being so sure of themselves. They often say they never screw up, brag about their works and how perfect they are in Christ. Never show humility...etc. Like "Well I have never done <insert sin>, you must not believe enough if you have issue sometimes!".

Admiteddly whatever the case I don't even know, only God does. But I'd rather sometimes question myself than pretend I am perfect. I never even pretend to be perfect. If someone needs reproof I openly admit my imperfections so they see I'm not just pointing out the speck in their eye while ignoring my log. To me this is the best way to help someone. Being perfect just puts up defenses and comes across as dangerous in my mind.

The Gospel gives us the confidence and assurance that we belong to Jesus, and therefore we can trust in Him that we are His. That is the confidence and assurance of faith. That does not mean, that on account of our frail and sinful humanity, that we won't ever doubt; indeed I struggle to think of how one who has faith wouldn't at least occasionally doubt.

The person who stands and says "I know I will go to heaven" may simply be speaking of this confidence of faith, but the humility of faith also seems missing--the Gospel provides no room for boasting, except for boasting in the cross of Jesus Christ and the grace of God. Let the person of faith say, "I am confident in Jesus Christ that I belong to Him, for by His Gospel He saves me and adopts me as a child of God, that I might look forward in faith to the day when I shall be made whole at the resurrection; and this is by the grace of God, Lord have mercy on me a sinner." When there is doubt, hear the Gospel and trust in Jesus who is yours. And if there be arrogance, know that you are a sinner, and humble yourself, confess your sin, and trust in Jesus.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

KyleSpringer

Feb 13, 2018
Canton
✟12,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why not? One thing we all have in common on this forum is, we are not dead and actually in Heaven. I don't see anything less-than-understandable if some people (me included) have some Doubting Thomas in them, until they actually stand before Jesus and He tells them personally, "You're with me now."
I see where you’re going, but let me say this. We may not be dead and in heaven, but our God doesn’t exist as an afterlife experience. We serve the Living God. His Spirit lives in us, causing us to have Life.

Moreover, Thomas wasn’t wrong in wanting evidence, but Jesus did say that the awesome wonder and belief he felt and came to by seeing would be greater in those who believe but do not see.

That being said, one must engage the act of believing, be it by accepting hard evidence or leaping in faith, or one must assert their unbelief, but for those who have heaven in mind, the name of Jesus rings forth with hope of an expectation of salvation and rest.

Upvote 0

usexpat97

kewlness
Aug 1, 2012
Ecuador
✟76,839.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I think asserting one's unbelief is fine. It's just being honest. Elisha forgave Naaman the leper in 2 Kings 5:18-19 when Naaman told him he was going to bow down in the temple of Rimmon. Naaman was saying he simply did not have that level of faith. He had enough faith to go and seek out Elisha, barely enough faith to bathe in the Jordan--but not enough faith not to bow to an idol with the king standing right next to him. Jesus said if we merely have the faith of a mustard seed, we can move mountains. Well...I'm not seeing a whole lot of mountains moving.

I think I'm with a number of people when I say I wish I was there, I know I should get there, but I'm just not there.

Upvote 0

KyleSpringer

Feb 13, 2018
Canton
✟12,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think asserting one's unbelief is fine. It's just being honest. Elisha forgave Naaman the leper in 2 Kings 5:18-19 when Naaman told him he was going to bow down in the temple of Rimmon. Naaman was saying he simply did not have that level of faith. He had enough faith to go and seek out Elisha, barely enough faith to bathe in the Jordan--but not enough faith not to bow to an idol with the king standing right next to him. Jesus said if we merely have the faith of a mustard seed, we can move mountains. Well...I'm not seeing a whole lot of mountains moving.

I think I'm with a number of people when I say I wish I was there, I know I should get there, but I'm just not there.
Naaman also took soil from the Jordan, as sort of a memento, in honor of what the Living God had done, and as the king would worship before the idol, naaman was honoring God in his heart. This is the faith, my friend. Belief in God when there is pressure all around you. A believer may say, I can’t do it alone, but knows he isn’t. You are not condemned.

Upvote 0

usexpat97

kewlness
Aug 1, 2012
Ecuador
✟76,839.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
and as the king would worship before the idol, naaman was honoring God in his heart. This is the faith, my friend. Belief in God when there is pressure all around you. A believer may say, I can’t do it alone, but knows he isn’t.

Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego had faith where Naaman did not. It's apples-to-apples: same situation, Shak Rak and Benny had it. Naaman did not. Different, imperfect people are just in different places; that's all.

Upvote 0

KyleSpringer

Feb 13, 2018
Canton
✟12,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego had faith where Naaman did not. It's apples-to-apples: same situation, Shak Rak and Benny had it. Naaman did not. Different, imperfect people are just in different places; that's all.
I don’t know about apples to apples but everyone has seasons in their lives, no doubt.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The context in 2 Cor 6:2 is our God saying “you needed me and I came to you, now I want you, so come to me.” This is not saying that your future standing is uncertain, although we are commanded to work out our salvation with fear and trembling. Why is that?
We either have salvation or we dont. Talking about it as if it is some object we may or may not obtain as some point in the future, is of little use.

There are those who own the car and those who do not own it. The ones who believe they will own it are in the same boat as those who believe they will not own it.......neither of them has the car....and wont have it in the future....

Upvote 0