At the Vatican in spirit
✟1,083.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I love how, depending which team one roots for, it's either the Executive or the Legislative that's to blame for success or failure, but never both, and the blame always aligns with one's political ideology. Simply amazing.

I see you did not deny anything I said

Upvote 0

kermit

Legend
Nov 13, 2003
Visit site
✟27,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
And the largest post-WWII economic boom at the time happened under Reagan (Republican), right after Carter (Democrat) destroyed the economy.
Not true

U.S. GDP Growth Under Different Presidencies CurrencyThoughts

GDP Growth by President (avg/year)
Kennedy: 5.2%
Johnson: 5.1%
Clinton: 3.6%
Reagan: 3.5%
Carter: 3.2%
Nixon: 3.0%
GWB: 2.3%
Bush(41); 2.1%
Ford: 2.0% (no exact figure given other than barely over 2%)

GDP Growth by Party(avg/year)
Dem: 4.1%
Rep: 2.9%

Upvote 0

nvxplorer

Senior Contributor
Jun 17, 2005
✟20,675.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
I see you did not deny anything I said
I see the point went right over your head. GO TEAM!

Let me try one.

2001 - 2007, Republicans controlled all of government, and abortion was not outlawed. Therefore, Republicans are baby-killers.

Hey, that was fun.

Upvote 0

Gawron

Apr 24, 2008
✟5,109.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Posted by JoyJuice:

“Point is NOT the opinion of how effective they would be, the point was allowing people to keep more of their money.”

Addressed in my response to aisey Day.

“You're a wee bit confused. The TARP was passed by President Bush, NOT President Obama.”

Who is managing the program? Who is spending the money? Go here and find out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trouble...Relief_Program

Geithner has stated he doesn’t know how long the program may last, or what he may do with any funds which come in because of it.

Quote:

“Geithner testified that the Treasury Department has not decided how long it would maintain the TARP program. So far, Geithner said money that has been paid back by banks has gone toward paying down the Treasury's debt, but he reserved the right to reinvest the money in other banks if that became necessary. Other TARP programs are ending: Geithner pointed to the emergency program to insure money market accounts, which will end later this month. Usage of other programs, such as the FDIC's guarantee of bank debt and the Federal Reserve's commercial paper funding program, are winding down as well.

End Quote. Link: http://www.time.com/time/business/ar...921682,00.html

Is your point that any ill which may be connected to TARP is Bush's fault because "he" passed it, but any good which comes of it will be to the credit of Obama? Just wondering.

“Yes he cut SOME budgets of SOME programs just like your source points out, but in totality he ran rampant with deficit spending. There is no denying that.”

“Note the Republican states are on the bottom when it comes to quality of healthcare....just like I said.”

According to your source. But your point in posting it is what? That the people who live in those states are ignorant or stupid for opposing nationalized health-care? Or that because a particular state is largely republican, this explains why health care there may not equal that of a largely democratic state? This is not a conclusion which can be drawn from the information contained in the chart posted. This website provides useful information as well:

http://statesnapshots.ahrq.gov/snaps...enuId=2&state=

“Funny that is exactly what Mark Williams a leader of the teabaggers said”

Does Mark Williams speak for everyone who chooses to protest?

“too bad they really have no issues other then manufactured outrage by shear manipulation.”

According to your opinion. As for your economy charts, the New York Times also published this:

“Mr. Bush has spent years presiding over an economic climate of growth that would be the envy of most presidents. Yet much to the consternation of his political advisers, he has had trouble getting credit for it, in large part because Americans were consumed by the war in Iraq.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/28/wa...h.html?_r=1&hp

Upvote 0

JoyJuice

Senior Veteran
Aug 8, 2006
✟20,965.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Others
That stuff is misleading. The Congress controls the purse strings, so they - not Reagan - ran up the deficit. The president has no power to spend money on his own

Reagan specifically set and sent budgets for deficit military spending.
It is not the legislative branch that presents annual budgets and expeditures.

And a Republican governor, Mitt Romney, gave his state universal healthcare.

Yes, healthcare which he now distances himself from, and you picking one state and making this claim given the totality of the republican states on the bottom being red states is a red herring.

And the largest post-WWII economic boom at the time happened under Reagan (Republican), right after Carter (Democrat) destroyed the economy.

Already shown to be nonsense.

You are just making false things up. You are not telling the truth

That itself is an untruth.

Upvote 0

JoyJuice

Senior Veteran
Aug 8, 2006
✟20,965.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Others
Posted by JoyJuice:

“Point is NOT the opinion of how effective they would be, the point was allowing people to keep more of their money.”

Whether addressed to me or aisey Day, Obama cut taxes plain and simple.

“You're a wee bit confused. The TARP was passed by President Bush, NOT President Obama.”

Who is managing the program? Who is spending the money? Go here and find out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trouble...Relief_Program

Geithner has stated he doesn’t know how long the program may last, or what he may do with any funds which come in because of it.

Quote:

“Geithner testified that the Treasury Department has not decided how long it would maintain the TARP program. So far, Geithner said money that has been paid back by banks has gone toward paying down the Treasury's debt, but he reserved the right to reinvest the money in other banks if that became necessary. Other TARP programs are ending: Geithner pointed to the emergency program to insure money market accounts, which will end later this month. Usage of other programs, such as the FDIC's guarantee of bank debt and the Federal Reserve's commercial paper funding program, are winding down as well.

End Quote. Link: http://www.time.com/time/business/ar...921682,00.html

Is your point that any ill which may be connected to TARP is Bush's fault because "he" passed it, but any good which comes of it will be to the credit of Obama? Just wondering.

No, my point is I said the "Stimulus plan is working" and you presented something I guess as support that not had one thing to do with it.

“Yes he cut SOME budgets of SOME programs just like your source points out, but in totality he ran rampant with deficit spending. There is no denying that.”

“Note the Republican states are on the bottom when it comes to quality of healthcare....just like I said.”

According to your source. But your point in posting it is what? That the people who live in those states are ignorant or stupid for opposing nationalized health-care? Or that because a particular state is largely republican, this explains why health care there may not equal that of a largely democratic state? This is not a conclusion which can be drawn from the information contained in the chart posted. This website provides useful information as well:

http://statesnapshots.ahrq.gov/snaps...enuId=2&state=

The point is that Republicans have no zeal to fix the troubles of healthcare which everyone understands needs to be redressed. The last 8 years and their tone today is they would rather do nothing.

That's my point.

“Funny that is exactly what Mark Williams a leader of the teabaggers said”

Does Mark Williams speak for everyone who chooses to protest?

It is not just him and I can post sign after sign after sign from the teabaggers.

“too bad they really have no issues other then manufactured outrage by shear manipulation.”

According to your opinion. As for your economy charts, the New York Times also published this:

“Mr. Bush has spent years presiding over an economic climate of growth that would be the envy of most presidents. Yet much to the consternation of his political advisers, he has had trouble getting credit for it, in large part because Americans were consumed by the war in Iraq.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/28/wa...h.html?_r=1&hp

This is the envy:

Bush(41); 2.1%
Ford: 2.0% (no exact figure given other than barely over 2%

LOL, moreover many Americans do understand how Bush did economically, from the surplus to the deficit.

Upvote 0

chucknfw

Sep 16, 2009
✟15,114.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
10 Lessons for Tea Baggers: This title is offensive and sets the tone for this post. I don't care what you say this term means, it has a gross graphic meaning that is meant to demean honest protesters.
  1. President Obama Cut Your Taxes This is impossible due to the massive spending that is occurring today.
  2. The Stimulus is Working If you throw enough money at a problem, it will go away in the short term. Working is an opinionated term that is very prejudiced.
  3. First Ronald Reagan Tripled the National Debt...
  4. ...Then George W. Bush Doubled It Again You are making an assumption that protesters of Obama's economic policies agreed with Reagan and Bush policies that led to higher national debt.
  5. Republican States Have the Worst Health Care This is a pretty obnoxious statement that really is not defensible. There are way too many variables to go there.
  6. Medicare is a Government Program And..... it stinks.
  7. Barack Obama is Not a Muslim Obama has not attended church since taking office. We know about his ties to Jeremiah Wright.
  8. Barack Obama was Born in the United States The above board thing to do is to produce all the original docs for this group to see instead of spending the peoples money defending against these "meritless arguments."
  9. 70,000 Does Not Equal 2,000,000 You could say 1,000,000 Does Not Equal tens of thousands.
  10. The Economy Almost Always Does Better Under Democrats This isn't a Republican/Democrat argument. A divided government in my opinion is the best option. There is way too much corruption in Washington to want unity in decision making.
  11. Spam email and talk radio is a short sighted source for hysteria. A broad brush statement of little value.
My problem with this post is that it immediately dismissed the counter argument by using inflammatory terms meant to divide. I don't see what the purpose of this other than to make a few empty arguments that can't be defended or they are based on statements that cannot be reasonably proven because of all the issues and variables involved.

Upvote 0

oldbetang

Senior Veteran
Jul 21, 2005
✟24,987.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You are forgetting the encroachment on constitutional rights so that would be two.

Yes, there was some encroachment on Constitutional rights. However, as I pointed out already, that encroachment has come from the left.

The other three are recently rearing their head though yes. Perhaps since the other two were OK before the teabaggers might drop them from their agenda?

The other two weren't OK before. It's just that their magnitude was low enough to keep them below the radar screen.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

oldbetang

Senior Veteran
Jul 21, 2005
✟24,987.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Not true

U.S. GDP Growth Under Different Presidencies CurrencyThoughts

Bush(41); 2.1%
Ford: 2.0% (no exact figure given other than barely over 2%)

GDP Growth by Party(avg/year)
Dem: 4.1%
Rep: 2.9%

Those numbers don't look accurate. Not only that, but they don't cover all of the Post WWII presidencies.

Upvote 0

craigerNY

I bring nothing to the table
Feb 28, 2007
Upstate NY
✟56,288.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Yes, there was some encroachment on Constitutional rights. However, as I pointed out already, that encroachment has come from the left.

The other two weren't OK before. It's just that their magnitude was low enough to keep them below the radar screen.

Encroachments were enthusiastically put in place by folks on both sides of the aisle. They certainly weren't below everyone's radar. All I can say to the protesters is welcome to the party. Like I said, better late than never I am glad folks are finally upset enough to protest. Too bad that just like every protest the bad apples make the most sensational news. The least folks can do is condemn the means of the bad apples even if they desire the same ends.

Upvote 0

JoyJuice

Senior Veteran
Aug 8, 2006
✟20,965.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Others
10 Lessons for Tea Baggers: This title is offensive and sets the tone for this post. I don't care what you say this term means, it has a gross graphic meaning that is meant to demean honest protesters.
  1. President Obama Cut Your Taxes This is impossible due to the massive spending that is occurring today.
  2. The Stimulus is Working If you throw enough money at a problem, it will go away in the short term. Working is an opinionated term that is very prejudiced.
  3. First Ronald Reagan Tripled the National Debt...
  4. ...Then George W. Bush Doubled It Again You are making an assumption that protesters of Obama's economic policies agreed with Reagan and Bush policies that led to higher national debt.
  5. Republican States Have the Worst Health Care This is a pretty obnoxious statement that really is not defensible. There are way too many variables to go there.
  6. Medicare is a Government Program And..... it stinks.
  7. Barack Obama is Not a Muslim Obama has not attended church since taking office. We know about his ties to Jeremiah Wright.
  8. Barack Obama was Born in the United States The above board thing to do is to produce all the original docs for this group to see instead of spending the peoples money defending against these "meritless arguments."
  9. 70,000 Does Not Equal 2,000,000 You could say 1,000,000 Does Not Equal tens of thousands.
  10. The Economy Almost Always Does Better Under Democrats This isn't a Republican/Democrat argument. A divided government in my opinion is the best option. There is way too much corruption in Washington to want unity in decision making.
  11. Spam email and talk radio is a short sighted source for hysteria. A broad brush statement of little value.
My problem with this post is that it immediately dismissed the counter argument by using inflammatory terms meant to divide. I don't see what the purpose of this other than to make a few empty arguments that can't be defended or they are based on statements that cannot be reasonably proven because of all the issues and variables involved.

PRATT

They are NOT honest protestors. They are mad because they lost...period. They are not protesting expenditures, they are protesting who it is in office setting the budget.

They are just partisan protesters who by their signs, taunts, and actions I have no respect for and thus the term Teabagger which is in fact a step up from the smucks they really are.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

kermit

Legend
Nov 13, 2003
Visit site
✟27,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Those numbers don't look accurate.
Then find a source that refutes them
not only that, but they don't cover all of the Post WWII presidencies.
I was refuting the claim that Reagan had the best economic growth since WWII. All I had to do was show that one president had better growth numbers to disprove the claim. I showed that at least 3 did.

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
President Obama Cut Your Taxes This is impossible due to the massive spending that is occurring today.

Care to explain?

The Stimulus is Working If you throw enough money at a problem, it will go away in the short term. Working is an opinionated term that is very prejudiced.

The ship was sinking. This is agreed upon by both sides of the aisle. If you have a better idea of how we could have pulled the economy back from the brink now would be a the time.

You are making an assumption that protesters of Obama's economic policies agreed with Reagan and Bush policies that led to higher national debt.

The point we are making is that these protests are not primarily about taxes, deficit spending, etc. They are about hating Obama. This is evidenced by the fact that these protests did not occur while Republicans were in office running up a debt.

Medicare is a Government Program And..... it stinks.

Does it stink because it is a government program or does it stink because it has covered less and less over the years?

Barack Obama was Born in the United States The above board thing to do is to produce all the original docs for this group to see instead of spending the peoples money defending against these "meritless arguments."

They have been produced, and the Republican Governor of Hawaii has endorsed them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

oldbetang

Senior Veteran
Jul 21, 2005
✟24,987.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This isn't a contest. Both show hatred.

I disagree. One clearly shows hatred, while the other does not.

According to the top Tea party organizer, "Those are everyday working people out there." Sorry. Your listed tax increases don't apply to everyday working people.
Business owners and those making over $250,000 are not ordinary working people?

I'm not talking about you. I'm talking about the tea people being conspicuously absent during the last eight years.
$2 trillion deficits, socialized healthcare, Cap and Trade, and 10% unemployment were conspicuously absent during the last eight years as well.

That's what I said. Did you miss my point?
If it's on the table then it's worthy of concern. Is it not?

Where is the outrage against Medicare?
There is some outrage regarding Medicare. The concern is that it will be robbed to pay for Obamacare.

Please do.
The Elane Photography case, for one.

Oh yeah. All those people are so mad because the Boy Scouts almost lost. Please.
Just one of the many reasons.

Upvote 0

JoyJuice

Senior Veteran
Aug 8, 2006
✟20,965.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Others
Those numbers don't look accurate. Not only that, but they don't cover all of the Post WWII presidencies.

From FORBES where Postwar Presidencies Ranked By Six Measures Of Economic Performance, where 1 Is Best.

They are ranked the same way kermits source lays them out regarding GDP.

Upvote 0

oldbetang

Senior Veteran
Jul 21, 2005
✟24,987.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Then find a source that refutes them

Percent Change From Preceding Period in Real Gross Domestic Product

Look at the Kennedy years. I get 4.2%, not 5.2%.

I was refuting the claim that Reagan had the best economic growth since WWII. All I had to do was show that one president had better growth numbers to disprove the claim. I showed that at least 3 did.

You also used those numbers to compare Dems with Repubs.

Looking at Reagan, post his inflation busting years, the growth averaged 4.43%.

Upvote 0

JustMeSee

Contributor
Feb 9, 2008
In my living room.
✟23,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Gee, I think I'll make up an unsubstantiated list of garbage to goad the dems....:doh:
That would be a great idea.
Would you make one to goad the independents too? I feel left out.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.