King of the Wicker People
Feb 23, 2004
The south
✟20,617.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think that an increase of 85% does not equal to a doubling, yes.

Yeah but quibbling about it doesn't really make any kind of case, and simply underlines the original case - the debt increased dramatically under a President from the party that wishes to fly the banner of "fiscal responsibility."

Upvote 0

Conservativation

Jun 18, 2009
✟13,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Wow, the last several pages reveal a lot.
They at least openly show that regardless the economic theory or system...if you make a lot of money, thats bad, and unfair to someone...and must (somehow) be "equalized". Why else the cacophony of voices ranting about the rich? Its an old saw, but a sharp one....Ive never worked for a poor man. Where I work is a brilliant example, the guy started the comapny in 1962, after working years in labor at a chemical plant....he borrowed and started this.

Now hundreds of millions later, and 1000 people worldwide employed....im supposed to begrudge the guys success?

There are countries that welcome those goofy attitudes.

Oh, why do you want to give Anderson Cooper advice anyway? he seemed quite familiar with how to teabag.

Upvote 0

kermit

Legend
Nov 13, 2003
Visit site
✟27,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Now hundreds of millions later, and 1000 people worldwide employed....im supposed to begrudge the guys success?
No begrudging anyone's success. What is being said is that we shouldn't give additional rewards to those who have already been handsomely rewarded. And yes, giving the tax breaks greater than that of others is a reward.

Milton Friedman was a hack. Basically he believed that the economic pump could work without being primed. He falsely believed that supply could drive demand. What he failed to realize is that suppliers don't increase supply because they have the resources to do so, rather they do so in response to an increase in demand. If I make 100 widget and can sell them all but I cant' sell 101 all the incentives and tax breaks in the world won't prompt me to expand my capacity. And if any thing I will use those incentives to increase automation which means fewer employees which will reduce demand in some market.

Upvote 0

blueapplepaste

the purpose of life is a life of purpose
Jun 7, 2005
Texas
✟18,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Even stateside, Bush was far braver than that phony John Kerry, who got a Purple Heart for getting some rice in his butt.

So Bush staying in the US is more brave than Kerry actually going over and fighting in Vietnam? What world do you live on? Please, Kerry is a war hero and deserves that respect.

Disagree with him on policies all you want, but by insulting his military service, you also insult everyone else who served in the military. Shame on you.

Upvote 0

oldbetang

Senior Veteran
Jul 21, 2005
✟24,987.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Right. The supposed trickle down economy had a serious log jam.

Where do you get that from? I see it more as an increased flow due to a higher level in the tank from which it is being fed.

If incomes stay stagnant and costs for things such as transportation, health care, and housing skyrocket what do you think the result is? A middle class that is better off than it was before?

If incomes remain stagnant, adjusted for inflated, then the middle class is no worse off than it was before. That is what happened during the Bush administration, except for the last year.

My point was that giving tax breaks to the wealthy in the Bush years only helped the wealthy and worsened the economic outlook for the middle class.

That doesn't appear to be the case, since the wealthy have seen their riches decline.

If these concerns are based on fantasies then they aren't genuine concerns.

How do you know that it's based on fantasy?

If I were to poll Tea Party protestors what percentage do you think would list Cap and Trade as one of their top 3 concerns? That is what I am interested in.

80%.

I find widespread corporate abuses troubling.

Such as?

I see the constitution as a list of freedoms for individuals, not corporatioons.

Corporations are made up of individuals.

It troubles me when corporations are given advantages over the individual. There can be a happy medium, but it seems that the scales have really tipped towards corporate America in the last 3 decades.

I would argue that Roberts is on the side of the little guy more than the liberals on the court have been. I guarantee you that he would have been a dissenter in the Kelo decision.

Upvote 0

Grizzly

Enemy of Christmas
Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2002
Tallahassee
✟46,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
BeforetaxfamilyincomemeanUS1989-2004.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Household_income_in_the_United_States

Upvote 0
Sep 16, 2009
Memphis, TN
✟15,115.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have some questions.

1. Should we trust the leaders of our nation? I have a hard time doing so. These career politicians seem to do or say anything to further their careers, whether they're Republican or Democrat.

2. Is a two party system really efficient in representing the American people? Yes I realize we have more than two parties, but seriously, we only have two viable parties.

3. From a Christian perspective, is what is happening politically truly important, or should we be more concerned with the Kingdom of God?

Also, say what you will about the stimulous plan. I work for a contractor. As the state governments are receiving the funds, they are involved in road/bridge/construction projects that actually employ people like myself. If it wasn't for this money, I'd be another statistic.

Upvote 0

craigerNY

I bring nothing to the table
Feb 28, 2007
Upstate NY
✟56,288.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I have some questions.

1. Should we trust the leaders of our nation? I have a hard time doing so. These career politicians seem to do or say anything to further their careers, whether they're Republican or Democrat.

We should never trust the government no matter who is in charge. When I see people defending "their side" what I see is people defending the government.

2. Is a two party system really efficient in representing the American people? Yes I realize we have more than two parties, but seriously, we only have two viable parties.

That is our will apparently. We can accept it or as individuals endeavor to change it.

3. From a Christian perspective, is what is happening politically truly important, or should we be more concerned with the Kingdom of God?

Not being a Christian that is none of my business..........unless one uses the government to exert their religious will on me. I respond kindly to your inviting me to join you in your faith. I respond harshly to demands that political policy reflect religious dogma.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

allhart

Messianic believer
Feb 24, 2007
Turlock, CA
✟16,377.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
How about in S.F. the (Inner city) pushing farmers out of business in (rural-areas) over the smelt minnow, in a drought? When we can pump water out of the delta for survival. S.F. is biting their nose off despite their face. What, import all the food from China as they do oil from Iran? God help us with a little common sense here! Pushing unemployment well over 40% in the valley. people are (economically) dying over here. Reminds me of Katrina in New Orleans....... Most of all the nations tomatoes are grown here. Wait until ketchup, tomato sauce, pizza sauce, spa. sauce etc go sky rocketing in price. Also this effects cannery workers, truck drivers and pizza places ect alike. The federal Gov. is to protect us from foreign and domestic terrorism. The Gov. and home land security are to protect are water ways for economic reason and abroad, but they are environmentally regulating us out of existence. Also in passing trees, takes about 8 years to generate a harvest. The trees won't be a seasonal turn around!

This also reminds me of the Cougars that are over populated and were and are mauling people. The people that live in the rural Areas of S.F. called for thinning out of the population. Even the PHD, forest rangers, environmentalist said they need to be thinned, however; the(inner city) bleeding hearts of S.F. voted it down. When they don't live or know what they are talking about first hand. When my uncle has a mountain lion looking in his window at his cat as snack, I don't care what the ideology have to say that cats history !

TURN ON THE PUMPS! S.F. nor the Federal Government grow your food, we do!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JoyJuice

Senior Veteran
Aug 8, 2006
✟20,965.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Others
LOL. Do you know how many men die in jets just in training accidents? More than is common knowledge.

Even stateside, Bush was far braver than that phony John Kerry, who got a Purple Heart for getting some rice in his butt.

And Obama didn't do JACK except for shoot his mouth off and hang around with Commies.

....you have got to be kidding me. Like it or not, Kerry is a veteran of the Vietnam war while Bush was hid in the Guard, or the champange circiut as it as called when he wasn't AWOL.

Why do you hate our troops.

Upvote 0

Corey

Veteran
Mar 7, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
✟18,987.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Household incomes eh? Interesting. That shows a decline in income for those making over $250,000.

Hey...OB...that's a forest; don't just look at the trees.

If that's your key takeaway, I hope you don't work in any industry that relies upon data to drive the business.

Upvote 0

oldbetang

Senior Veteran
Jul 21, 2005
✟24,987.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hey...OB...that's a forest; don't just look at the trees.

If that's your key takeaway, I hope you don't work in any industry that relies upon data to drive the business.

What? If I have any key takeaway with the graph posted it would be that it only covers from 1989 to 2004.

Have you been following this discussion at all? Do you really want to have a serious look at data? Take a look at the Census Bureau numbers on income and then try to tell me that the middle class suffered under Reagan.

Upvote 0

nvxplorer

Senior Contributor
Jun 17, 2005
✟20,675.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
Household incomes eh? Interesting. That shows a decline in income for those making over $250,000.
No, it doesn't. Those are percentiles of net worth. "Those making over $250,000" is not a percentile. Furthermore, "Those making over $250,000" indicates income, not net worth. Corey is correct. Don't quit your day job.

Here's a more revealing graph from your provided link. Note that the higher the percentile, the more steep the curve, and the lower the percentile, the more flat the curve:
500px-United_States_Income_Distribution_1967-2003.svg.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.