✟1,083,486.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
opendoorsusa
Eritrea
10_Eritrea_.png

I do not follow my pastor. I follow Christ.
Info Booklet Prayer
Scroll Down
About Eritrea
  • Leader:President Isaias Afwerki
  • Government:One-party state
  • Population:5,482,000 (2,741,000 Christians)
  • Main Religion:Islam, Christianity
  • Persecution Level:Extreme
  • Source of Persecution:Dictatorial Paranoia, Islamic Oppression, Denominational Protectionism
10_map_Eritrea.png
DOWNLOAD FACT SHEET

The Eritrean regime is authoritarian and intolerant towards any form of association, dissent and free expression. The government’s attempt to control all religious institutions was particularly evident in the deposing and replacing of the Patriarch of the Eritrean Orthodox Church (EOC) in 2007, and he has remained under house arrest ever since. The EOC itself persecutes those who leave the EOC and become Evangelical or Pentecostal believers. The dire situation overall in Eritrea is contributing to the global refugee crisis. Thousands, including Christians, continue to flee the country. The government’s treatment of Christian prisoners, thousands of whom have been arrested and imprisoned, has received a great deal of international attention. Many have been locked in shipping containers and died as a result.

To aid persecuted Christians in Eritrea, Open Doors works through local partners to provide them with livelihood assistance, practical aid, discipleship support and more.

Recent News from Eritrea
Jul 6 2017
How to Pray for the Persecuted in 7 Hotbed Regions of the World
Found in Stories Jul 6 2017

As Christians, we know and believe the most powerful force for change we have at our disposal is prayer.

+ READ MORE

Jun 22 2017
More Christians Arrested in Eritrea
Found in Prayer Alerts Jun 22 2017

Open Doors has learned of the arrest of 22 Eritrean Christians at the end of May and the beginning of June. Officials took 17 Christians men from a home in Godaif, a neighborhood in Asmara on May 28th. A further five Christians were taken from their home in Dongolo on June 6th. This brings the […]

+ READ MORE

May 12 2017
10 Christians Arrested in Eritrea
Found in Stories May 12 2017

We just learned of the arrest of ten Christians from Eritrea this past Tuesday.

+ READ MORE

Apr 1 2017
3 Years In An Eritrean Prison
Found in Prayer Alerts Apr 1 2017

Over the years we have often asked supporters to pray that the Lord would give Christians imprisoned for their faith in Eritrea hope in the midst of their suffering and enable them to share the gospel with their persecutors. The story of Aberash is an example of how the Lord answers our prayers for His own glory.

+ READ MORE

Mar 30 2017
He Wanted Death. Instead, Resurrection
Found in Stories Mar 30 2017

“Why am I in here?” He demanded an answer as he prayed in his prison cell. “I was doing good things for you! Why did you let this happen to me?” After two years of persecution, Aberash was angry with God. He was arrested for hosting church gatherings in his home and sent to an […]

+ READ MORE

Prayer Points for Eritrea
  • Pray for Christians imprisoned under horrific conditions to shine as lights to their captors.
  • Pray that President Afewerki would find true life and fulfillment in Christ.
  • Pray that believers in Eritrea would be able to fix their eyes fully on Christ as they undergo persecution for following Him.

• Prayers
Reactions: redleghunter