1 Timothy 2:1-8

What is the Apostle Paul teaching in 1 Timothy 2:1-8?

• Universal Reconciliation. He says all men

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • General Call of the Gospel. Paul mentions Gentiles in general in v.7

Votes: 11 91.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here is more on the general call:

Luke 24: NASB

44Now He said to them, “These are My words which I spoke to you while I was still with you, that all things which are written about Me in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms must be fulfilled.” 45Then He opened their minds to understand the Scriptures, 46and He said to them, “Thus it is written, that the Christ would suffer and rise again from the dead the third day, 47and that repentance for forgiveness of sins would be proclaimed in His name to all the nations, beginning from Jerusalem.

• Winner
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Peter J Barban

Mar 29, 2016
Taiwan
Visit site
✟97,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Let me preface this by saying that as a new convert in college, God clearly called me into missionary work. After 10 years I became a self-supported missionary in Taiwan. So I fully committed to the Great Commission. Unfortunately, having such a high calling made me proud, even before I fulfilled the call. Ironically, we do nothing to earn our call, it is chosen for us.

In order to serve Christ effectively, I have had to consider other people's calling as more important than my own. Other missionaries are more important, other fathers are more important, other congregants are more important, etc.

Objectively, who's calling is higher than evangelists? -- apostles, prophets, martyrs, and perhaps highest of all are prayer warriors.

And among those who have "lower callings", being faithful to your call (the only thing you can control) is far more pleasing to God than those who slide by with many gifts and a high calling.

Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
There are a few places in Paul that suggest UR, but this doesn't seem to. It does, however, seem to challenge limited atonement. Christ is given for all. But that doesn't mean that all actually benefit (nor does it make any contribution to debates over the relative roles of election and free will).

Interestingly, it doesn't seem to be a call for evangelism. It calls for prayers for everyone, and it notes Paul's role in evangelism, but it doesn't seem to call on the reader to participate in evangelism.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Luke 24:47 ff definitely does call for evangelism. I'd note, however, that he seems to be talking to a fairly small group of people here. In 48 and 49 he promises that they will be commissioned by a special gift of the Holy Spirit. It's at least possible that he considered evangelism to be a specific office given to them.

Similarly, the Great Commission in Mat 28:18 ff is given to the 11. It's not obvious whether Jesus viewed this as a specific commission to them (and presumably others after them). See Mat 10:1 for an example of a specific commission.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Luke 24:47 ff definitely does call for evangelism. I'd note, however, that he seems to be talking to a fairly small group of people here. In 48 and 49 he promises that they will be commissioned by a special gift of the Holy Spirit. It's at least possible that he considered evangelism to be a specific office given to them.

Similarly, the Great Commission in Mat 28:18 ff is given to the 11. It's not obvious whether Jesus viewed this as a specific commission to them (and presumably others after them). See Mat 10:1 for an example of a specific commission.
I believe in 1 Peter 3 we are called to be prepared to share our Hope with others.

15But in your hearts sanctify Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give a defense to everyone who asks you the reason for the hope that you have. But respond with gentleness and respect, 16keeping a clear conscience, so that those who slander you may be put to shame by your good behavior in Christ. 17For it is better, if it is God’s will, to suffer for doing good than for doing evil.

• Agree
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It does, however, seem to challenge limited atonement. Christ is given for all. But that doesn't mean that all actually benefit (nor does it make any contribution to debates over the relative roles of election and free will).
Yes another subject perhaps we can discuss in another thread. Yet logically no matter how you look at it Atonement is limited regardless of view. Those who say Atonement is offered to all, must logically conclude (unless they are UR) that those who are not in Christ do not have their sins atoned for.

But good point. Maybe I’ll get a thread on that soon.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I believe in 1 Peter 3 we are called to be prepared to share our Hope with others.

15But in your hearts sanctify Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give a defense to everyone who asks you the reason for the hope that you have. But respond with gentleness and respect, 16keeping a clear conscience, so that those who slander you may be put to shame by your good behavior in Christ. 17For it is better, if it is God’s will, to suffer for doing good than for doing evil.
I'm not saying that Christians shouldn't evangelize. I think we should. But I try to avoid reading my views into Scripture. 1 Peter 3 doesn't call for what I'd call proactive evangelism: going around telling people the Gospel. It tells us to be ready to defend our faith. He may well have been thinking of persecution. 3:17 seems to suggest that. But the Logos commentary notes: "Taken together, ἀπολογία and αἰτεῖν λόγον suggest that Peter sees his readers as being “on trial” every day as they live for Christ in a pagan society." Surely Christians should be able to respond to questions in any context, even if this passage has something more specific in mind.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But the Logos commentary notes: "Taken together, ἀπολογία and αἰτεῖν λόγον suggest that Peter sees his readers as being “on trial” every day as they live for Christ in a pagan society." Surely Christians should be able to respond to questions in any context, even if this passage has something more specific in mind.
Interesting as our society becomes more “pagan.”

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I agree we are to preach the Gospel to all nations. Is that what you were communicating?

Yes, I think that is what we should do, because it is said:

and this good news of the reign shall be proclaimed in all the world, for a testimony to all the nations; and then shall the end arrive.
Matt. 24:14

Therefore go, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I commanded you. Behold, I am with you always, even to the end of the age."
Mat. 28:19-20

Upvote 0