✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
1 Peter 3:18

For Christ also died for sins once for all, the just for the unjust, so that He might bring us to God, having been put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit

Those who reject that Christ died for everyone interpret "once for all" to mean "once for all TIME. Yes, He did die only once. But that is not the point of v.18.

Immediately following "once for all" is the phrase "the just for the unjust". What does this mean? Who is the "just"? Jesus Christ, who died for sins one time for all.

Who is the "unjust"? Mankind. "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God", per Rom 3:23. "There is none righteous, no, not one", per Rom 3:10.

So, the "unjust" refers back to the "all". The fact that "once" is mentioned shows that "for all" doesn't refer to a one time occurrence, but rather, that Jesus, the Just, died for the sins of the unjust, being all of mankind.

This is just one of many verses that clearly indicate the scope of who Christ died for; the whole world.

abacabb3

Jul 14, 2013
✟82,170.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

For Christ also died for sins once for all, the just for the unjust, so that He might bring us to God, having been put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit

Those who reject that Christ died for everyone interpret "once for all" to mean "once for all TIME. Yes, He did die only once. But that is not the point of v.18.

Immediately following "once for all" is the phrase "the just for the unjust". What does this mean? Who is the "just"? Jesus Christ, who died for sins one time for all.

Who is the "unjust"? Mankind. "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God", per Rom 3:23. "There is none righteous, no, not one", per Rom 3:10.

So, the "unjust" refers back to the "all". The fact that "once" is mentioned shows that "for all" doesn't refer to a one time occurrence, but rather, that Jesus, the Just, died for the sins of the unjust, being all of mankind.

This is just one of many verses that clearly indicate the scope of who Christ died for; the whole world.

For it is for this we labor and strive, because we have fixed our hope on the living God, who is the Savior of all men, especially of believers. (1 Tim 4:10)

So, God makes salvation possible for all men by virtue of the atonement of His blood, but salvation only becomes effectual through faith.

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. For by it the men of old gained approval. (Hebrews 11:1-2)

I hope this clears things up!

Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
For it is for this we labor and strive, because we have fixed our hope on the living God, who is the Savior of all men, especially of believers. (1 Tim 4:10)

So, God makes salvation possible for all men by virtue of the atonement of His blood, but salvation only becomes effectual through faith.

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. For by it the men of old gained approval. (Hebrews 11:1-2)

I hope this clears things up!
It was clear, but your comments are equally as clear. Thanks.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,308.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single

While I think Scripture is clear that Jesus died for everyone, this is not a good passage to cite. In Greek "once for all" is a single word, meaning uniquely once. No way it can mean what you take it to mean. Sorry.

Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
While I think Scripture is clear that Jesus died for everyone, this is not a good passage to cite. In Greek "once for all" is a single word, meaning uniquely once. No way it can mean what you take it to mean. Sorry.
And so am I! :blush:

Should have checked my lexicon first.

Thread closed. :sorry:

Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I use Logos. It lets me look at the Greek for any passage (for most major English translations), with various helps to understanding it, including an easy link to TDNT.
I have several lexicons for reference. I'll check out Logos. Thanks.

But at least the verse doesn't limit who Christ died for, from the phrase "the Just for the unjust". The "Just" is Christ, and the "unjust" is all of humanity.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,308.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
But at least the verse doesn't limit who Christ died for, from the phrase "the Just for the unjust". The "Just" is Christ, and the "unjust" is all of humanity.

The verse doesn't explicitly have any limits. But I think it's consistent with either interpretation. I'd hang my hat on other sections of the NT, not this one.

Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The verse doesn't explicitly have any limits. But I think it's consistent with either interpretation. I'd hang my hat on other sections of the NT, not this one.
Of course. There are many verses that clearly indicate that Christ died for everyone. I find it quite odd how many people reject that teaching.

Upvote 0

Skala

I'm a Saint. Not because of me, but because of Him
Mar 15, 2011
✟27,869.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Of course. There are many verses that clearly indicate that Christ died for everyone. I find it quite odd how many people reject that teaching.

Not a single time does scripture say that Christ died for every single person in the human race.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Not a single time does scripture say that Christ died for every single person in the human race.
Rather, not a single time does Scripture SAY that Christ died ONLY for some, however that may be phrased.

And the word "all" DOES mean every single peson in the human race in Heb 2:9. It's just sad how RT tries to change the meaning of "all" to "all elect" when it means no such thing.

But your argument isn't with me about that. How about these 45 English translations of "all" in Heb 2:9?

EVERYONE - 25
Common English Bible
Contemporary English Version
Easy-To-Read Version
ESV
ESV Anglicized
Expanded Bible
God’s Word
Good News Translation
Holman Christian Standard Bible
Lexham English Bible
Mounce Reverse Interlinear NT
Names of God Bible
NASB
New Century Version
NET
NIRV
NIV
NKJV
NLT
NRSV
NRSV anglicized
NRSV anglicized Catholic
NRSV Catholic
The Voice
World English Bible

EVERY ONE - 3
RSV
RSV Catholic
Young’s Literal Translation

EVERY MAN - 6 (I guess they thought women can't be saved)
21st Century KJV
ASV
JB Phillips NT
Jubilee Bible 2000
KJV
Authorized KJV

EVERY INDIVIDUAL PERSON - 1
Amplified Bible

ALL HUMANITY - 1
Complete Jewish Bible

EVERY THING - 2
Darby Translation
Douay-Rheims1899 American Ed

ALL MEN - 2 (sorry, ladies)
1599 Geneva
Wycliffe

ON BEHALF OF ALL - 2
Knox Bible
Orthodox Jewish Bible

EVERY PERSON’S PLACE - 1
The Message

ALL OF US - 1
New Life Version

EVERY PERSON - 1
Worldwide English NT

These translations came from actual Greek language experts, btw. So please take it up with them. I'm just the messenger. Jesus Christ died for all, period.

Upvote 0

janxharris

Veteran
Jun 10, 2010
Essex, UK
Visit site
✟36,397.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married

Well, enough for John Piper to tell ANY unbelievers watching his youtube video that 'Christ died for your sins'.

Of course, Piper's 'offer' is disingenuous, but he still says it. He allows for the possibility that the uniformed unbeliever thinks Christ died to save all men...

Perhaps Piper was mindful of Hebrews 2:9, John 3:16, 1 Timothy 1:15 etc.

Upvote 0

cygnusx1

Jacob the twister.....
Apr 12, 2004
UK Northampton
Visit site
✟79,726.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I would agree that Heb 2:9 refers to everyone. Of course 10-13 limits the effect to the "children whom God has given me."

Heb. 2:9

I recall the Greek manuscript having 'died for every" ....

Most translators attempt to complete the sentence by inserting "men" or "everyone" but there is , at least if my memory serves one translation that just leaves it "died for every" and simply expects the reader to look at the context which is "sons" .

At least two Baptist theologians have discussed this at some length , John Gill & A W Pink

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Heb. 2:9

I recall the Greek manuscript having 'died for every" ....

Most translators attempt to complete the sentence by inserting "men" or "everyone" but there is , at least if my memory serves one translation that just leaves it "died for every" and simply expects the reader to look at the context which is "sons" .
If the author really meant only "sons", why didn't he just say so? In fact, the word in the Greek is "pantos" from "pas" which means "all".

No one would end a sentence with "every…".

Further, when has any Calvinist ever claimed that "Christ died for all the elect" or "every elect"? I've never heard that.

Instead, we hear "Christ died for ONLY the elect", or "JUST the elect", or words to that effect.

So the argument that "all" refers to verses ahead isn't serious.

At least two Baptist theologians have discussed this at some length , John Gill & A W Pink
5 pointers, all.

How about considering what actual Greek language experts thought about the verse?

EVERYONE - 25
Common English Bible
Easy-To-Read Version
ESV
ESV Anglicized
Expanded Bible
God’s Word
Good News Translation
Lexham English Bible
Names of God Bible
NASB
New Century Version
NET
NIRV
NIV
NKJV
NLT
NRSV
NRSV anglicized
NRSV anglicized Catholic
NRSV Catholic
The Voice
World English Bible

EVERY ONE - 3
RSV
RSV Catholic

EVERY MAN - 6
21st Century KJV
ASV
JB Phillips NT
Jubilee Bible 2000
KJV
Authorized KJV

Amplified Bible

ALL HUMANITY - 1
Complete Jewish Bible

EVERY THING - 2
Darby Translation

ALL MEN - 2
1599 Geneva
Wycliffe

ON BEHALF OF ALL - 2
Knox Bible
Orthodox Jewish Bible

EVERY PERSON’S PLACE - 1
The Message

ALL OF US - 1
New Life Version

EVERY PERSON - 1
Worldwide English NT

Upvote 0

Skala

Mar 15, 2011
✟27,869.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
If the author really meant only "sons", why didn't he just say so? In fact, the word in the Greek is "pantos" from "pas" which means "all".

Probably because he expected his readers to give a rip about context.

But I'm no doctor.

Upvote 0

Skala

Mar 15, 2011
✟27,869.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Rather, not a single time does Scripture SAY that Christ died ONLY for some, however that may be phrased.

That's not true. He says he died for his sheep, and pointed out that not all men are his sheep. In other words, he "phrased it" in a certain way.

What do you make of that?

Upvote 0

cygnusx1

Jacob the twister.....
Apr 12, 2004
UK Northampton
Visit site
✟79,726.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married

No one would end a sentence with "every…".

Further, when has any Calvinist ever claimed that "Christ died for all the elect" or "every elect"? I've never heard that.

Instead, we hear "Christ died for ONLY the elect", or "JUST the elect", or words to that effect.

So the argument that "all" refers to verses ahead isn't serious.

5 pointers, all.

How about considering what actual Greek language experts thought about the verse?

EVERYONE - 25
Common English Bible
Easy-To-Read Version
ESV
ESV Anglicized
Expanded Bible
God’s Word
Good News Translation
Lexham English Bible
Names of God Bible
NASB
New Century Version
NET
NIRV
NIV
NKJV
NLT
NRSV
NRSV anglicized
NRSV anglicized Catholic
NRSV Catholic
The Voice
World English Bible

EVERY ONE - 3
RSV
RSV Catholic

EVERY MAN - 6
21st Century KJV
ASV
JB Phillips NT
Jubilee Bible 2000
KJV
Authorized KJV

Amplified Bible

ALL HUMANITY - 1
Complete Jewish Bible

EVERY THING - 2
Darby Translation

ALL MEN - 2
1599 Geneva
Wycliffe

ON BEHALF OF ALL - 2
Knox Bible
Orthodox Jewish Bible

EVERY PERSON’S PLACE - 1
The Message

ALL OF US - 1
New Life Version

EVERY PERSON - 1
Worldwide English NT

"Hebrews 2:9 is a good place to show that the death of Christ had a special design or aim for God's chosen people that it did not have for others.

What Does "Everyone" mean?

At the end of verse 9 the writer says, "By the grace of God [Christ] tasted death for everyone." The question here is whether "everyone" refers to every human without distinction, or whether it refers to everyone within a certain group. As when I say at staff lunch, "Is everyone present?" I don't mean everyone in the world. I mean everyone in the group I have in mind. What is the group that the writer has in mind: all of humanity without any distinction, or some other group?

Let's let him answer as we trace his thought in the next verses. Verse 10 is the support for verse 9: Christ tasted death for everyone "for it was fitting for him, for whom are all things, and through whom are all things, in bringing many sons to glory, to perfect the author of their salvation through sufferings." In other words, immediately after saying that by the grace of God Christ tasted death for everyone, the writer explains that God's design in this suffering of Christ was to "bring many sons to glory." So verses 9 and 10 go together like this: Christ tasted death for everyone, because it seemed fitting to God that the way to lead his children to glory was through the suffering and death of Christ.

This means that the "everyone" of verse 9 probably refers to everyone of the sons being led to glory in verse 10. In other words the design of God—the aim and purpose of God—in sending Christ to die was particularly to lead his children from sin and death and hell to glory. He had a special eye to his own elect children. It's exactly what the Gospel of John says in 11:52—that Jesus would die to "gather together into one the children of God who are scattered abroad." These "children of God" that Christ died to gather are the "sons" that God is leading to glory through the death of Christ in Hebrews 2:10

You can see this in the next verses too. Verses 11 and 12:
For both He who sanctifies [i.e. Christ] and those who are sanctified [the sons he is leading to glory] are all from one Father; for which reason He is not ashamed to call them brethren, saying [in Psalm 22:22], "I WILL PROCLAIM THY NAME TO MY BRETHREN, IN THE MIDST OF THE CONGREGATION I WILL SING THY PRAISE."

In other words the sons that God is leading to glory through the death of Christ are now called Christ's brothers. It was for everyone of these that Christ tasted death.

Verse 13 goes on now to call them, not only brothers, but in another sense children of Christ:
And again, "I WILL PUT MY TRUST IN HIM" [Christ's own confession of faith in his Father along with his brothers]. And again, "BEHOLD, I AND THE CHILDREN WHOM GOD HAS GIVEN ME."

Notice, the sons that are being led to glory through the death of Christ are now called children that God has given to Christ. They don't just become children by choosing Christ.

http://desiringgod.org/cgi-bin/print...96/052696.html

there is much more that can be posted , time permitting

Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Probably because he expected his readers to give a rip about context.
All who are serious students of the Word are concerned about context. But the argument put forward by RT on heb 2:9 is so off the chart as to be ludicrous.

Please provide ANY verse that clearly communicates that Christ died ONLY for some people, and NOT all people. Please. I await your verse.

But I'm no doctor.
When a person is in need, they should consult one.

I suspect of all the translators of the 45 English translations I've provided, there are probably many many who hold doctorates. They should be consulted:

EVERYONE - 25
Common English Bible
Easy-To-Read Version
ESV
ESV Anglicized
Expanded Bible
God’s Word
Good News Translation
Lexham English Bible