Senior Veteran
Aug 22, 2003
West Virginia
✟17,821.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
1 John 4:1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

What does this verse mean? Well specifically how do we try the spirits. I have heard this verse used in context when we are trying to discern the voice of God directing us on in our lives, but no one has ever been able to give me an explanation of exactly how we try the spirits.

Serapha

Jun 29, 2003
✟6,704.00
Faith
Non-Denom
mrstace said:
1 John 4:1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

What does this verse mean? Well specifically how do we try the spirits. I have heard this verse used in context when we are trying to discern the voice of God directing us on in our lives, but no one has ever been able to give me an explanation of exactly how we try the spirits.
Hi there!

:wave:

Try the "spirits" of those professing revelation from God. Use the Word of God as the measuring stick. God will not reveal anything to mankind that is in conflict with His preserved word.

That would make God out to be a liar.

~serapha~

Upvote 0

JohnStevenson

Jul 20, 2003
Hollywood, Florida
Visit site
✟7,747.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
mrstace said:
Whenever we come across a passage that is difficult to understand, it always helps to look at the context -- the verses immediately before and after our passage.

In this case, the very next verse explains how we are to try/test the spirits. We are to do it by comparing what they say concerning Jesus with what the Bible says concerning Jesus.

This gives us a good clue as to tell the cults from real Christianity. The cults always want to make Jesus into someone less than He is presented in the Bible.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.