Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
1 John 3:9 says, "Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God."

What do you say? Do you agree, or disagree? Take the poll.

cc: @Saint Steven

Last edited:
Reactions: Dave L

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
1 John 3:9 says, "Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God."

I certainly agree with John. But I disagree with your interpretation of John, as does John elsewhere.

Upvote 0

~Zao~

Wisdom’s child
Site Supporter
Jun 27, 2007
✟100,595.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

The divine life as the divine seed in it's regenerated nature will not allow one to live in sin. This is similar to a sheep: it may fall into the mud, but its clean life will not allow it to remain and wallow in the mud as a swine would.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The church I grew up in used that verse as a proof text that when anyone sinned, no matter how small, they lost salvation.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think the meaning is that it is not like a believer to intentionally commit sins, not that he is guaranteed sinlessness forever.
there is a lot more to sin that just intentional disobedience.

the Greek and Hebrew words behind the text are archery terms meaning to aim at the target but "miss the mark," i.e. the bulls eye.

Upvote 0

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian

I doubt anyone on the forum is going to disagree with the apostle John. The issue is more one of interpretation.

As I've studied it John's usage of the present tense throughout 1John in comparison to his usage of the aorist tense (which we don't have in English) is contrasting cases in which he is speaking of a person's lifestyle, his characteristic or typical behavior, (Greek Present tense), in comparison when he uses the aorist to indicate incidents or that which is atypical of the person's behavior.

In the case of 1John 3:9 (using the present tense) he's saying that those born of God typically don't sin. Sin, though it may occur from time to time, is not characteristic of their lifestyle. And the reason being due to the nature of regeneration. "Cannot sin" indicates inability to live in sin. Those born of God have lost the ability to live in sin due to their new nature.

And you case see this interpretation is consistent with the following verse (1John 3:10) which says basically that behavior is the distinguishing mark between children of God and children of the devil. Because of the inevitability of such behavior those born of God won't be mistaken for children of the devil when taking into account their characteristic behavior. Such is a major theme in 1John

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟888,452.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I posted a poll similar to this about this same topic a couple months ago. Here’s the link in case your interested in seeing what people thought on this topic.

Poll as a born again Christian do you still sin

I think the key is in the word “doth”. I believe all Christians will still sin both willfully and accidentally. The scriptures say that none are without sin. Some say that this is because we have past sins but if we were baptized those sins are both forgiven and forgotten. The scriptures say that once our sins are forgiven God will remember them no more. I believe it means that we will still sin even after we are born of God. This can be true without contradicting 1 John 3:9. The Greek word for doth is poiéō which can also mean continue.

Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

doth

G4160

Lemma:

ποιέω

Transliteration:

poiéō

Pronounce:

poy-eh'-o

Part of Speech:

Verb

Language:

greek

Description:

1) to make a) with the names of things made, to produce, construct, form, fashion, etc. b) to be the authors of, the cause c) to make ready, to prepare d) to produce, bear, shoot forth e) to acquire, to provide a thing for one's self f) to make a thing out of something g) to (make i.e.) render one anything

1) to (make i.e.) constitute or appoint one anything, to appoint or ordain one that

2) to (make i.e.) declare one anything h) to put one forth, to lead him out i) to make one do something

1) cause one to j) to be the authors of a thing (to cause, bring about)

2) to do a) to act rightly, do well

1) to carry out, to execute b) to do a thing unto one

1) to do to one c) with designation of time: to pass, spend d) to celebrate, keep

1) to make ready, and so at the same time to institute, the celebration of the passover e) to perform: to a promise

Grammar:

apparently a prolonged form of an obsolete primary; to make or do (in a very wide application, more or less direct):--abide, + agree, appoint, X avenge, + band together, be, bear, + bewray, bring (forth), cast out, cause, commit, + content, continue, deal, + without any delay, (would) do(-ing), execute, exercise, fulfil, gain, give, have, hold, X journeying, keep, + lay wait, + lighten the ship, make, X mean, + none of these things move me, observe, ordain, perform, provide, + have purged, purpose, put, + raising up, X secure, shew, X shoot out, spend, take, tarry, + transgress the law, work, yield. Compare πράσσω.

My Greek interlinear bible uses the word practices. I think this is a tough teaching to understand. I don’t personally know any Christian who claims they don’t sin.

• Agree
Reactions: GodsGrace101
Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,404,751.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It is kind of hard to wrap your head around the fact that salvation is so complete that sin cannot abide in the spirit of one who has received it. B.C. our root was in sin. But once we are saved, we are no longer in sin. We are now IN CHRIST in whom there is no sin. This is the true Gospel, the Good news. Lord Jesus has taken care of the sin problem in the believer.

• Agree
Reactions: Loyce KG
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

YeshuaFan

Oct 19, 2018
Macomb
✟56,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

All saved still at times sin, and only Jesus did not ever sin!
Need to read it in the original Greek text, as John use of Grammar and terms suggest that one cannot be living as sinners as a habitual lifestyle, as their normal way of living, and still claim to be saved, as saved will not make it their habit to keep on sinning!

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Certainly so, but not every verse covers everything that can be said about sin.
True. But it leaves the most basic meaning - trying to hit the mark but not doing so.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟888,452.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
All saved still at times sin, and only Jesus did not ever sin!
Need to read it in the original Greek text, as John use of Grammar and terms suggest that one cannot be living as sinners as a habitual lifestyle, as their normal way of living, and still claim to be saved, as saved will not make it their habit to keep on sinning!

So your saying I can’t live a life of willful sin and still be saved by simply believing? Yeah I can completely agree with that. Although unfortunately many others do not. :/

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Sin is the transgression of God's LAW *JAMES 2:10-11; 1 JOHN 3:4 (context to 3v9). This includes God's 4th Commandment. Their is a diffence between known sin and unknown sin and in times of ignorance God winks at until we receive a KNOWLEDGE of the truth *ACTS 17:30; JAMES 4:17.

This time is called growing in grace as we continue in God's WORD *JOHN 8:31-36; 2 PETER 3:18. At that time (When we receive a KNOWLEDGE of the truth through God's WORD), God expects us to repent and to BELIEVE and FOLLOW his WORD *ACTS 17:30.

If we do not repent and BELIEVE and FOLLOW God's WORD as it is revealed to us through his Spirit *JOHN 16:13; JOHN 14:26 then we become UNBELIEVERS and if we we choose to stay in our sins we will be broken off (separated from God) *ROMANS 11:20.

Those who continue in sin as unbelievers will not enter the kingdom of Heaven because they reject the gift of God's dear son *HEBREWS 10:26-27; ROMANS 6:23.

God's Sheep hear his Voice (the Word of God)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Reactions: BNR32FAN
Upvote 0

YeshuaFan

Oct 19, 2018
Macomb
✟56,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
So your saying I can’t live a life of willful sin and still be saved by simply believing? Yeah I can completely agree with that. Although unfortunately many others do not. :/
The evidence of one having real saving faith will be how one tends to live their life now, as not perfect, but less sinning.... And will be convicted when do sin to confess and repent it to the Lord now!

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
@LoveGodsWord, @BNR32FAN, @Albion, @Dave-W, @Tree of Life, @YeshuaFan, @Handmaid for Jesus, @bcbsr, @LoreneDD

Thank you for your responses, but there are more posters than those taking the poll. If you haven't taken the poll, please do.

You have not made a distingtion between known sin and unknown sin. It is known sin that the scripture (1 JOHN 3:9) is referring to not unknown sin. As we grow in grace and the knowledge of God's Word, JESUS reveals more and more sin to us through his Spirit that needs to be repented of (Sanctification) JOHN 16:13; JOHN 17:17; JOHN 8:31-36; *1 PETER 5:10; HEBREWS 13:21; COLOSSIANS 1:21; Philippians 3:12; EPHESIANS 4:13; 2 PETER 2:21-22 This is the work of a lifetime of God in us as we learn and follow his Word by faith. *JOHN 8:31-36.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

YeshuaFan

Oct 19, 2018
Macomb
✟56,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
You have not made a distingtion between known sin and unknown sin. It is known sin that the scripture (1 JOHN 3:9) is referring to not unknown sin. As we grow in grace and the knowledge of God's Word, JESUS reveals more and more sin to us through his Spirit that needs to be repented of (Sanctification) JOHN 16:13; JOHN 17:17; JOHN 8:31-36; *1 PETER 5:10; HEBREWS 13:21; COLOSSIANS 1:21; Philippians 3:12; EPHESIANS 4:13; 2 PETER 2:21-22 This is the work of a lifetime of God in us as we learn and follow his Word by faith. *JOHN 8:31-36.
The Christian will still sin, but the difference is that it is not natural and normal for them now to be doing that, as will be convicted and will confess and repent. If someone says now saved, and yet still sinning on exactly as before with no fruit to support hat, it is only a profession of faith is John's teaching here!

Upvote 0