Visit site
✟39,601.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
here is the begining of 1 Corinthians. I will give an intro later. I was reading intro material and longed to get into the word. So for all of you who love the Bible here is the frist 11 verses.

1 Corinthians
Chapter 1
1 2 Paul, called to be an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, and Sosthenes our brother,
2 to the church of God that is in Corinth,
to you who have been sanctified in CHRIST JESUS, called to be holy
, with all those everywhere who call upon the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, their Lord and ours.
3 Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
I give thanks to my GOD always
on your account for the grace of God bestowed on you in Christ Jesus,
5 that in him you were enriched in every way, with all discourse and all knowledge,
6 as the testimony
3 to Christ was confirmed among you,
7 so that you are not lacking in any spiritual gift as you wait for the revelation of our Lord Jesus Christ.
8 He will keep you firm to the end, irreproachable on the day of our Lord Jesus (Christ).
9 God is faithful, and by him you were called to fellowship with his Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.
4 I urge you, brothers, in the name of our LORD JESUS CHRIST, that all of you agree in what you say, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be united in the same mind and in the same purpose
questions: 1. What are we all called to be? 2. How often do you give thanks to GOD? 3. Are you working to eleminate the divisions in the Body of Christ?

Edial

Site Supporter
Nov 3, 2004
United States
✟63,157.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
lonnienord said:
questions: 1. What are we all called to be?
Holy.
lonnienord said:
2. How often do you give thanks to GOD?
I personally - all the time.
lonnienord said:
3. Are you working to eleminate the divisions in the Body of Christ?
I cannot answer without knowing how you define divisions. Are these the denominations? Doctrines?
What are they?

Thanks,
Ed

Upvote 0

lonnienord

Keep Praying!!
Jan 13, 2005
Lorain, Ohio about 30 miles west of Cleveland on L
Visit site
✟39,601.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
those things which make it so we aren't all brothers and sisters. those things which keep us from worshipping together. those things which make us say bad things about each other / hurt each other.

in the town i live in there are 7 churches in one square mile. most of them are less than half full on Sunday morning. We could easily get buy with 2 churches in that area. and we could work together for the Kingdom of GOD.

Upvote 0

Edial

Site Supporter
Nov 3, 2004
United States
✟63,157.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
lonnienord said:
those things which make it so we aren't all brothers and sisters. those things which keep us from worshipping together. those things which make us say bad things about each other / hurt each other..
Would you agree that there can be disagreements among the churches to the point of not worshipping together?
What disagreements would you consider as valid? What if some do not believe that Jesus is God? What if some believe that various "sins of the Bible" are perfectly acceptable in church?
I just want to understand what your stance is.

lonnienord said:
in the town i live in there are 7 churches in one square mile. most of them are less than half full on Sunday morning. We could easily get buy with 2 churches in that area. and we could work together for the Kingdom of GOD.
This I agree with wholeheartedly.
I saw one small town where there were 9 churches.

Thanks,
Ed

Upvote 0

lonnienord

Keep Praying!!
Jan 13, 2005
Visit site
✟39,601.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
ok i've read this great book 7 times and have begun to pull together my notes. Here is where i am at right now:
New American Bible New Century Version John Gill's Exposition of the Bible Contemporary English Version New Living Translation New Jerusalem Bible The Message Live Application Bible my questions

1 Corinthians​

Chapter 1

1 2 Paul, called to be an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, and Sosthenes our brother, 1 From Paul. God called me to be an apostle of Christ Jesus because that is what God wanted. Also from Sosthenes, our brother in Christ.(NCV)

and Sosthenes our brother.
This seems to be the same man, who was the chief ruler of the synagogue of the Jews at Corinth; and was converted to the Christian faith by the Apostle Paul while there, as appears from his favoring the cause of the apostle, for which the Jews beat him before the judgment seat, and yet Gallio the Roman deputy took no notice of it, (
Acts 18:17) : in the Syriac dictionary F1 mention is made of one Sosthenes, governor of a city, one of the seventy disciples, who was educated at Pontus, and cast into the sea by the order of Nouna; and is also said to be bishop of Colophon in Ionia, (See Gill on Luke 10:1); but without any reason. This person the apostle joins with him, not as in equal office with him, but as a brother in Christ, and very probably a ministering brother, and a companion of his; and the rather, because he might be well known to the Corinthians, and respected by them; wherefore he chose to join him with him, to show their agreement in doctrine and discipline, and in advice to them, which might have the greater weight with them; see (Acts 18:17) .(Gill)

Paul was specifically called by GOD to preach about JESUS CHRIST. Each Christian has a job to do, a role to take., or a contribution to make. … Be available to GOD by placing your gifts at HIS service. As you discover HIS call, be ready to do it (Life Application) What has GOD Called you to do? Are you doing it?

to the church of God that is in Corinth, to you who have been sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be holy, with all those everywhere who call upon the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, their Lord and ours. To God's church in Corinth. Christ Jesus chose you to be his very own people, and you worship in his name, as we and all others do who call him Lord.(CEV) 2to the church of God in Corinth, to those who have been consecrated in Christ Jesus and called to be God's holy people, with all those everywhere who call on the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, their Lord as well as ours. (NJB) Christians cleaned up by Jesus and set apart for a God-filled life(the Message) You have been called to be GOD’s holy people. You are called to be holy!! It is not easy but you are called to do it. Are you trying to live a holy life?

3 Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

I give thanks to my God always on your account for the grace of God bestowed on you in Christ Jesus, I can never stop thanking God for all the generous gifts he has given you, now that you belong to Christ Jesus. (NLV) I never stop thanking my God for being kind enough to give you Christ Jesus, (CEV) How often do you give thanks?

Upvote 0

lonnienord

Keep Praying!!
Jan 13, 2005
Visit site
✟39,601.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
continuing on in 1 Cor. 1:

now back to I Corinthians 1 starting with my fav translation of verse 4 then continuing:

I never stop thanking my God for being kind enough to give you Christ Jesus, (CEV)
5 that in HIM you were enriched in every way, with all discourse and all knowledge, HE has enriched your church with the gifts of eloquence and every kind of knowledge. (NLV)
6 as the testimony 3 to Christ was confirmed among you,

7 so that you are not lacking in any spiritual gift as you wait for the revelation of our Lord Jesus Christ. Now you have every spiritual gift you need as you eagerly wait for the return of our Lord Jesus Christ (NLT)

8 He will keep you firm to the end, irreproachable on the day of our Lord Jesus (Christ).

9 God is faithful, and by him you were called to fellowship with his Son, Jesus Christ our Lord. Did HE call everyone? If now Why did HE call me and not everyone?

10 4 I urge you, brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree in what you say, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be united in the same mind and in the same purpose.
11 For it has been reported to me about you, my brothers, by Chloe's people, that there are rivalries among you. Some take Chloe to be the name of a place; a city so called is said to have been in Cappadocia; but it seems rather to have been the name of a woman. Horace F2 several times makes mention of a woman of this name, and so does Martial F3. Pausanias F4 calls the goddess Ceres by it, the goddess of husbandry; the word signifying green grass of the field. The person the apostle speaks of was one that very probably lived at Corinth, and was a member of the church there, and at the head of a family of great worth and credit; who being grieved at the growing animosities, and disturbances there raised, wrote to the apostle, and gave him a distinct account of them, desiring him to use his interest to put a stop to them. He mentions this family by name, to show that he had not took up an idle tale, and received reports from anybody, nor from a single person only, but from a family of repute among them; and who could have no other views in the relation of it to him, than the good of the church, and the glory of God: and what they had made out clearly to him was, (Gill)
12 I mean that each of you is saying, "I belong to 5 Paul," or "I belong to Apollos," or "I belong to Kephas," or "I belong to Christ."

13 Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul?

14 I give thanks (to God) that I baptized none of you except Crispus and Gaius,
The former of these was the chief ruler of the Jewish synagogue at Corinth, who hearing the apostle, and believing in Christ, was baptized by him, (
Acts 18:8) and the latter was a very liberal and hospitable man, and was the apostle's host, whilst he was at Corinth; see (Romans 16:23) . (Gill)

15 so that no one can say you were baptized in my name.

16 (I baptized the household of Stephanas also; beyond that I do not know whether I baptized anyone else.) The same name with "Stephanios", or "Stephanio" in Pliny F5. Before he says he had baptized none but Crispus and Gaius; but recollecting things, he corrects himself, and observes, that he had also baptized the household of Stephanas, who by the Greek writers is thought to be the same with the jailer baptized by the apostle at Philippi, but was now removed from thence to Corinth, and was become a famous and useful man there. (Gill)

1. Pray for your Church!

2.What personalities Threaten the unity of your church

3.Thank
GOD for the people of your church and the spiritual gift HE has placed in your church

4. How has GOD been faithful to you and your church

5. Describe the fellowship you have with
JESUS

6. What mission does GOD have for you?

these last six comments/questions are from an "Experiencing GOD" Bible

Upvote 0

lonnienord

Keep Praying!!
Jan 13, 2005
Visit site
✟39,601.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
17 For Christ did not send me to baptize but to preach the gospel, and not with the wisdom of human eloquence, so that the cross of Christ might not be emptied of its meaning.

18 The message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.
The message about the cross doesn't make any sense to lost people. But for those of us who are being saved, it is God's power at work. (CEV a protestant translation)
(the NIV, NRSV, NCV, and the NLV all say “being Saved” the KJV says: “For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.” (I think the fact that 5 protestant and two catholic translations say “being saved” and only the KJV says “saved” shows that the KJV is wrong)

19 For it is written: "I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and the learning of the learned I will set aside."

20 Where is the wise one? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made the wisdom of the world foolish?

9 For since in the wisdom of God the world did not come to know God through wisdom, it was the will of God through the foolishness of the proclamation to save those who have faith.

22 For Jews demand signs and Greeks look for wisdom,

23 but we proclaim Christ crucified, a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles,

24 but to those who are called, Jews and Greeks alike, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God.

Christ is the mighty power of God and the wonderful wisdom of God. (NLT)

25 For the foolishness of God is wiser than human wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than human strength. (wow what a beautiful verse!!)

26 10 Consider your own calling, brothers. Not many of you were wise by human standards, not many were powerful, not many were of noble birth. (no matter who you are if you do what GOD calls you to do with your whole heart it will benefit the Kingdom)

27 Rather, God chose the foolish of the world to shame the wise, and God chose the weak of the world to shame the strong,

28 and God chose the lowly and despised of the world, those who count for nothing, to reduce to nothing those who are something,

29 so that no human being might boast
11 before God.

30 It is due to him that you are in Christ Jesus, who became for us wisdom from God, as well as righteousness, sanctification, and redemption,

31 so that, as it is written, "Whoever boasts, should boast in the Lord."

Upvote 0

lonnienord

Keep Praying!!
Jan 13, 2005
Visit site
✟39,601.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well I just got back from the first class. And for those who have been waiting for the intro that is what we did so i am going to share that with you now.

1 Corinthians was written between 54 and 57 AD. Our teacher thinks it was written in the spring of 57 AD. It was written from Ephesis. it is one of 6 epistles that we are absolutely sure was written by Paul.

1 Cor. was actually the 2nd book Paul wrote to the Ephesians

To learn more about the history of Paul's ministry in Corinth read Acts 18:12-17. Paul spent 18 months in Corinth.

The christians in Corinth were surrounded by pagans. The Church in Corinth was a home church with 40-50 members. This letter addresses 10 problems the Corinthians were having

The first class was interesting. I was prepared to discuss Ch. 1; we didn't but next week we will cover chapters 1-4 so i have lots of work to do to get prepared for the next three chapters.

so i will be working on Ch. 2 and posting my thoughts in a day or two

Upvote 0

lonnienord

Keep Praying!!
Jan 13, 2005
Visit site
✟39,601.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
New American Bible New Century Version John Gill's Exposition of the Bible Contemporary English VersionNew Living Translation New Jerusalem Bible The Message Live Application Bible my questions Experiencing GOD

1 Corinthians​

Chapter 2

1 When I came to you, brothers, proclaiming the mystery of God, 1 I did not come with sublimity of words or of wisdom. 1You'll remember, friends, that when I first came to you to let you in on God's master stroke, I didn't try to impress you with polished speeches and the latest philosophy. (the Message)

2 For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ, and HIM crucified. That is what I always try to do focus totally on JESUS

3 I came to you in weakness 2 and fear and much trembling,

4 and my message and my proclamation were not with persuasive (words of) wisdom, 3 but with a demonstration of spirit and power, what I spoke and proclaimed was not meant to convince by philosophical argument, but to demonstrate the convincing power of the Spirit, (NJV) Are we talking about the third member of the trinity (The Holy Spirit) here?.

5 so that your faith might rest not on human wisdom but on the power of God.

6 Yet we do speak a wisdom to those who are mature, but not a wisdom of this age, nor of the rulers of this age who are passing away

7 Rather, we speak God's wisdom, mysterious, hidden, which God predetermined before the ages for our glory,

8 and which none of the rulers of this age 6 knew; for if they had known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.

9 But as it is written: "What eye has not seen, and ear has not heard, and what has not entered the human heart, what God has prepared for those who love him," 9 But as it is written in the Scriptures: "No one has ever seen this, and no one has ever heard about it. No one has ever imagined what God has prepared for those who love him (NCV)

10 this God has revealed to us through the Spirit. For the Spirit scrutinizes everything, even the depths of God. 10But you've seen and heard it because God by his Spirit has brought it all out into the open before you.

The Spirit, not content to flit around on the surface, dives into the depths of God, and brings out what God planned all along (The Message)
The HOLY SPIRIT, The third member of the Holy Trinity?

11 Among human beings, who knows what pertains to a person except the spirit of the person that is within? Similarly, no one knows what pertains to God except the Spirit of God. 11 Who knows the thoughts that another person has? Only a person's spirit that lives within him knows his thoughts. It is the same with God. No one knows the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God (NCV)

12 We have not received the spirit of the world but the Spirit that is from God, so that we may understand the things freely given us by God. 12Now, the Spirit we have received is not the spirit of the world but God's own Spirit, so that we may understand the lavish gifts God has given us (NJV)

13 And we speak about them not with words taught by human wisdom, but with words taught by the Spirit, describing spiritual realities in spiritual terms. 7 13We don't have to rely on the world's guesses and opinions. We didn't learn this by reading books or going to school; we learned it from God, who taught us person-to-person through Jesus, and we're passing it on to you in the same firsthand, personal way. (The Message)

14 Now the natural person 8 does not accept what pertains to the Spirit of God, for to him it is foolishness, and he cannot understand it, because it is judged spiritually. 14The natural person has no room for the gifts of God's Spirit; to him they are folly; he cannot recognize them, because their value can be assessed only in the Spirit. (NJV)

The spiritual person, however, can judge everything but is not subject to judgment 9 by anyone.

For "who has known the mind of the Lord, so as to counsel him?" But we have the mind of Christ. Christ knows, and we have Christ's Spirit.(The Message)

Are you spending enough time with CHRIST to have HIS very mind in you. An intimate relationship with CHRIST comes only from consistent time spent in HIS presence (Life application bible)

Upvote 0

lonnienord

Keep Praying!!
Jan 13, 2005
Visit site
✟39,601.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
New American Bible New Century Version John Gill's Exposition of the Bible Contemporary English Version New Living Translation New Jerusalem Bible The Message Live Application Bible my questions Experiencing GOD Douay-Rheims

1 Corinthians​

Chapter 3

1 Brothers, I could not talk to you as spiritual people, but as fleshly people, as infants in Christ. 1 And I, brethren, could not speak to you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal. As unto little ones in Christ. (DR)

1 But for right now, friends, I'm completely frustrated by your unspiritual dealings with each other and with God. You're acting like infants in relation to Christ, 2 capable of nothing much more than nursing at the breast. Well, then, I'll nurse you since you don't seem capable of anything more. (The Message)

2 I fed you milk, not solid food, because you were unable to take it. Indeed, you are still not able, even now, (But chapters 12-14 are meat!! is this one letter or two letters?)

3 for you are still of the flesh. While there is jealousy and rivalry among you, are you not of the flesh, and behaving in an ordinary human way? As long as there are jealousy and rivalry among you, that surely means that you are still living by your natural inclinations and by merely human principles. (NJB)

4 Whenever someone says, "I belong to Paul," and another, "I belong to Apollos," are you not merely human?

5 What is Apollos, after all, and what is Paul? Ministers through whom you became believers, just as the Lord assigned each one. 5For what is Apollos and what is Paul? The servants through whom you came to believe, and each has only what the Lord has given him(NJB)

6 I planted, Apollos watered, but God caused the growth.

7 Therefore, neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but only God, who causes the growth. (GOD is in charge we are simply HIS servants!!)

8 The one who plants and the one who waters are equal, and each will receive wages in proportion to his labor.

9 For we are God's co-workers; you are God's field, God's building.

10 According to the grace of God given to me, like a wise master builder I laid a foundation, and another is building upon it. But each one must be careful how he builds upon it,

11 for no one can lay a foundation other than the one that is there, namely, JESUS CHRIST.

12 If anyone builds on this foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, or straw,

13 the work of each will come to light, for the Day will disclose it. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire (itself) will test the quality of each one's work.

14 If the work stands that someone built upon the foundation, that person will receive a wage.

15 But if someone's work is burned up, that one will suffer loss; the person will be saved, but only as through fire.

16 Do you not know that you are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwells in you?

17 If anyone destroys God's temple, God will destroy that person; for the temple of God, which you are, is holy

18 Let no one deceive himself. If any one among you considers himself wise in this age, let him become a fool so as to become wise.

19 For the wisdom of this world is foolishness in the eyes of God, for it is written: "He catches the wise in their own ruses,"

20 and again: "The Lord knows the thoughts of the wise, that they are vain."

21 So let no one boast about human beings, for everything belongs to you, Let no man therefore glory in men. (DR)

22 Paul or Apollos or Kephas, or the world or life or death, or the present or the future: all belong to you,

23 and you to Christ, and Christ to God. you belong to Christ (NJB) you are privileged to be in union with Christ (The Message)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lonnienord

Keep Praying!!
Jan 13, 2005
Visit site
✟39,601.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I am studying chapter 4 and have a question about verse 6: [BIBLE]1 Corinthians 4:6[/BIBLE] what do these words mean:
not to think of men above that which is written
is Paul referring to the Bible

Upvote 0

lonnienord

Keep Praying!!
Jan 13, 2005
Visit site
✟39,601.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I just got back from the Bible Study. We only covered chapters one and two. So i have more time to research chapter 4. I got two indepth commentaries from the Church library and i am going to buy a Narrve Bible today.

Upvote 0

lonnienord

Keep Praying!!
Jan 13, 2005
Visit site
✟39,601.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
One of the Commentaries i picked up at church is Sagra Pagina. It takes 695 pages to explain 1 Corinthians. Its theory is that 1 Corinthians 4:6 is a mistake. Either a mistranlsation of a mistake by one of the people who copied the letter. The wording is not consistant with the rest of the letter.

Upvote 0

payattention

Sep 23, 2005
✟903.00
Faith
SDA
lonnienord said:
I am studying chapter 4 and have a question about verse 6: 1 Corinthians 4:6And these things, brethren, I have in a figure transferred to myself and to Apollos for your sakes; that ye might learn in us not to think of men above that which is written, that no one of you be puffed up for one against another.what do these words mean: is Paul referring to the Bible
I don't think so. Look at the reason why Paul made this suggestion. He did not want them to elevate men above what can be attested to. In modern terms, I would say he is referring to your resume. Don't claim that any is more than he really is.

Reactions: lonnienord
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lonnienord

Keep Praying!!
Jan 13, 2005
Visit site
✟39,601.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
New American Bible New Century Version John Gill's Exposition of the Bible Contemporary English Version New Living Translation New Jerusalem Bible The Message Live Application Bible my questions Experiencing GOD Douay-Rheims David Guzik's Commentaries on the Bible

1 Corinthians​

Chapter 4

1 Thus should one regard us: as servants of Christ and stewards of the mysteries of God. 1 Don't imagine us leaders to be something we aren't. We are servants of Christ, not his masters. We are guides into God's most sublime secrets, not security guards posted to protect them(the message)

2 Now it is of course required of stewards that they be found trustworthy. those who are trusted with something valuable must show they are worthy of that trust (NCV)

3 It does not concern me in the least that I be judged by you or any human tribunal; I do not even pass judgment on myself;

4 I am not conscious of anything against me, but I do not thereby stand acquitted; the one who judges me is the Lord. it is the Lord who is my judge. (NJB)

5 Therefore, do not make any judgment before the appointed time, until the Lord comes, for he will bring to light what is hidden in darkness and will manifest the motives of our hearts, and then everyone will receive praise from God. that reason, do not judge anything before the due time, until the Lord comes; he will bring to light everything that is hidden in darkness and reveal the designs of all hearts. Then everyone will receive from God the appropriate commendation.(NJB)

6 I have applied these things to myself and Apollos for your benefit, brothers, so that you may learn from us not to go beyond what is written (what does this mean?) so that none of you will be inflated with pride in favor of one person over against another.. 6 All I'm doing right now, friends, is showing how these things pertain to Apollos and me so that you will learn restraint and not rush into making judgments without knowing all the facts. It's important to look at things from God's point of view. I would rather not see you inflating or deflating reputations based on mere hearsay.

b. That you may learn in us not to think beyond what is written: Paul hopes his writing will help the Corinthian Christians learn to keep their thinking Biblically, and to not use standards beyond the Word of God to judge him or the other apostles.

(David Guzik's Commentaries on the Bible)

7 For who do you know that really knows you, knows your heart? And even if they did, is there anything they would discover in you that you could take credit for? Isn't everything you have and everything you are sheer gifts from God? So what's the point of all this comparing and competing? (The Message)

7 Who confers distinction upon you? What do you possess that you have not received? But if you have received it, why are you boasting as if you did not receive it? Any true spiritual leader is a representative of CHRIST and has nothing to offer that GOD hasn’t given him…. Make sure your deepest loyalties are to CHRIST and not to HIS human agents.

8 You are already satisfied; you have already grown rich; you have become kings without us! Indeed, I wish that you had become kings, so that we also might become kings with you.

9 For as I see it, God has exhibited us apostles as the last of all, like people sentenced to death, since we have become a spectacle to the world, to angels and human beings alike. It seems to me that God has put us who bear his Message on stage in a theater in which no one wants to buy a ticket. We're something everyone stands around and stares at, like an accident in the street (the message)

10 We are fools on Christ's account, but you are wise in Christ; we are weak, but you are strong; you are held in honor, but we in disrepute. fools for Christ's sake, (NJB) That is what I want to be!!

11 To this very hour we go hungry and thirsty, we are poorly clad and roughly treated, we wander about homeless

12 and we toil, working with our own hands. When ridiculed, we bless; when persecuted, we endure;

13 when slandered, we respond gently. We have become like the world's rubbish, the scum of all, to this very moment.

14 I am writing you this not to shame you, but to admonish you as my beloved children.

15 Even if you should have countless guides to Christ, yet you do not have many fathers, for I became your father in Christ Jesus through the gospel. yet not many fathers. For in Christ Jesus, by the gospel, I have begotten you. 16 Wherefore, I beseech you, be ye followers of me as I also am of Christ. (D~R)

Through the Good News I became your father in Christ Jesus, 16 so I beg you, please follow my example(NCV)

16 Therefore, I urge you, be imitators of me.

17 For this reason I am sending you Timothy, who is my beloved and faithful son in the Lord; he will remind you of my ways in Christ (Jesus), just as I teach them everywhere in every church.

18 Some have become inflated with pride, as if I were not coming to you.

19 But I will come to you soon, if the Lord is willing, and I shall ascertain not the talk of these inflated people but their power.

20 For the kingdom of God is not a matter of talk but of power.

21 Which do you prefer? Shall I come to you with a rod, or with love and a gentle spirit?

21 So how should I prepare to come to you? As a severe disciplinarian who makes you toe the mark? Or as a good friend and counselor who wants to share heart-to-heart with you? You decide (The Message

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.