1 Corinthians 3:10-15 is St. Paul Describing the Afterlife...

PanDeVida

Feb 21, 2007
✟42,102.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
1 Corinthians 3:10-15 is St. Paul, Describing/Referring to the Afterlife or the Present Life We Now Live On Earth, Here Today???

1 Corinthians 3:10According to the grace of God that is given to me, as a wise architect, I have laid the foundation; and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon. 11For other foundation no man can lay, but that which is laid; which is Christ Jesus. 12Now if any man build upon this foundation, gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble: 13Every man's work shall be manifest; for the day of the Lord shall declare it, because it shall be revealed in fire; and the fire shall try every man's work, of what sort it is. 14If any man's work abide, which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward. 15If any man's work burn, he shall suffer loss; but he himself shall be saved, yet so as by fire.

So true, in EVERY DAY LIFE in order to TRY A MANS WORK, the WORK OF THE MAN has to be ALL SAID and DONE WITH? Therefore, St. Paul in 1 Corinthians 3: 10-15 is speaking of the AFTERLIFE. Amen

For the many who still don't believe that St. Paul, was referring to the AFTERLIFE, Ok, When have YOU, IN THIS YOUR LIFES WORK ON EARTH BEEN TRIED "YET SO BY FIRE"???

Yes, The Catholic word Purgatory may not be mentioned in Scripture, but the definition is, and that is TRIED BY FIRE. Amen

Just the same for the Catholic word for Trinity is not in Scripture, but It's definition is: Father, Son, Holy Spirit.

Tell me your thoughts about St. Paul's thoughts and words???

Last edited:

Serving Zion

Seek First His Kingdom & Righteousness
May 7, 2016
Revelation 21:2
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
1 Corinthians 3:10-15 is St. Paul, Describing/Referring to the Afterlife or the Present Life We Now Live On Earth, Here Today???

1 Corinthians 3:10According to the grace of God that is given to me, as a wise architect, I have laid the foundation; and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon. 11For other foundation no man can lay, but that which is laid; which is Christ Jesus. 12Now if any man build upon this foundation, gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble: 13Every man's work shall be manifest; for the day of the Lord shall declare it, because it shall be revealed in fire; and the fire shall try every man's work, of what sort it is. 14If any man's work abide, which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward. 15If any man's work burn, he shall suffer loss; but he himself shall be saved, yet so as by fire.

So true, in EVERY DAY LIFE in order to TRY A MANS WORK, the WORK OF THE MAN has to be ALL SAID and DONE WITH? Therefore, St. Paul in 1 Corinthians 3: 10-15 is speaking of the AFTERLIFE. Amen

For the many who still don't believe that St. Paul, was referring to the AFTERLIFE, Ok, When have YOU, IN THIS YOUR LIFES WORK ON EARTH BEEN TRIED "YET SO BY FIRE"???

Yes, The Catholic word Purgatory may not be mentioned in Scripture, but the definition is, and that is TRIED BY FIRE. Amen

Just the same for the Catholic word for Trinity is not in Scripture, but It's definition is: Father, Son, Holy Spirit.

Hello brother. I read this to speak of the same event as described in 2 Thessalonians 2:2-3.

Upvote 0

Sep 5, 2015
✟70,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

That verse is describing the Judgement seat of Christ.
2 Cor 5:10 speaks a bit more on it...For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive his due for the things done in the body, whether good or bad.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,915,768.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hi PDV, of course St. Paul is referring to the afterlife in 1 Corinthians 3:10-15, as he is discussing some of the specifics about the "day" (which refers to the Bema Seat Judgment that all Christians will face at the end of this age). However, he's also referring to the "works" we've done in this life, both those that are valuable, as well those that are worthless (the former being those deserving of a reward, the latter, not so much ;)).

Righteous works that Christians do in faith and obedience, IOW, works that were accomplished through us by His power and for His glory, will survive and be rewarded. Works done in the power of the “flesh” instead (though not necessarily sinful, per say), will not be.

To be clear, this is not a judgment where salvation and eternal life will be gained or lost by anyone (as that is decided before we die .. e.g. John 3:18; John 5:24), nor does it concern some sort of extended afterlife punishment for/personal purification from, sins that Christ was unable to atone for (there are no such sins :preach:), prior to the Bema Seat Judgment of the works we did in the body.

1 Corinthians 3
10 According to the grace of God which was given to me, like a wise master builder I laid a foundation, and another is building on it. But each man must be careful how he builds on it.
11 For no man can lay a foundation other than the one which is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
12 Now if any man builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw,
13 each man’s work will become evident; for the day will show it because it is to be revealed with fire, and the fire itself will test the quality of each man’s work.
14 If any man’s work which he has built on it remains, he will receive a reward.
15 If any man’s work is burned up, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire.
If the doctrine of Purgatory is true, it's certainly not being discussed here (even though I will grant you, this passage does contain the word, "fire", in it ;)).

Yours in Christ,
David

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,147,348.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
The context involves building God's kingdom. While the final judgement is in the background, if the context is someone's work in the Church, it may also be referring to what will withstand persecution. These two are connected, since there's a Biblical motif of the judgement coming at the end of persecution.

It appears to be addressed to Christians. While Paul shows universalist tendencies, this is probably not about salvation of non-Christians.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,915,768.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
...this is probably not about salvation of non-Christians.
Agreed! 1 Corinthians 3:1-10 is addressed specifically to the "brethren" in Corinth, some of them mature, while others were only "infants" in Christ, but all of them were believers.

And v16, which immediately follows the passage in question, continues St. Paul's address to the brethren in Corinth saying:

Do you not know that you are a temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you?

The end of the chapter is much the same as well, saying:

... all things belong to you, and you belong to Christ; and Christ belongs to God .. v22b-23

Finally, the passage itself (which is less clear in this regard than then rest of the chapter), does make this important point:

No man can lay a foundation other than the one which is laid, which is Jesus Christ .. v11
This chapter is clearly addressed to saints, and the passage in question concerns the judgment we will face 'as' saints at the end of the age. You mentioned that St. Paul has "universal tendencies" however, so if you wouldn't mind, please point out the passage(s) that led you to believe that.

--David

Upvote 0