Manhattan, KS
✟186,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How do cessationist explain 1 Corinthians 1:7?

Paul writes to the Corinthians that they will not lack any spiritual gift until the revealing of Jesus Christ.

So unless I and everyone else here has missed the rapture (which is a false doctrine on its own), how can one claim gifts have ceased when Paul clearly taught they would not until Jesus had returned. Which by the way is the proper interpretation of 1 Corinthians 13:8-12

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
How do cessationist explain 1 Corinthians 1:7?

Paul writes to the Corinthians that they will not lack any spiritual gift until the revealing of Jesus Christ.

So unless I and everyone else here has missed the rapture (which is a false doctrine on its own), how can one claim gifts have ceased when Paul clearly taught they would not until Jesus had returned. Which by the way is the proper interpretation of 1 Corinthians 13:8-12

In 1 Corinthians 1:7 Paul is simply commending the Corinthians by saying that they're a very gifted congregation. He does this in order to tip his hand on some issues that he'll address later in the letter (spiritual gifts).

Paul is not saying in 1 Corinthians 1:7 that any gift the Holy Spirit has ever given will continually be given to people in the church until Jesus returns.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟186,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In 1 Corinthians 1:7 Paul is simply commending the Corinthians by saying that they're a very gifted congregation. He does this in order to tip his hand on some issues that he'll address later in the letter (spiritual gifts).

Paul is not saying in 1 Corinthians 1:7 that any gift the Holy Spirit has ever given will continually be given to people in the church until Jesus returns.

Ahh so a no answer is the answer for the question which seems to be a typical response for most who cannot defend a position.

Yes 1 Corinthians 1:7 is in what would normally be a greeting/commendation from Paul, but that doesn't stop people from using them for doctrine. Nor should they be excluded from such.

One huge example of this is the book of Ephesians. Almost the entire first chapter is a praise/commendation from Paul yet many widely held doctrines come from that passage, or at very least are supported by it.

Predestination
Spiritual blessings in Christ

Those are just two of such.

So again, how can we say the gifts have ceased if Paul clearly taught they would be in operation until Jesus returned?

Non answers are not accepted..

IOW, why would Paul even mention this in a commendation if he didn't truly believe it? And if he believed it he would have taught it and he did.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Ahh so a no answer is the answer for the question which seems to be a typical response for most who cannot defend a position.

Ad Hominem much? How is my answer a non-answer? I'm giving a positive explanation of Paul's words.

Yes 1 Corinthians 1:7 is in what would normally be a greeting/commendation from Paul, but that doesn't stop people from using them for doctrine. Nor should they be excluded from such.

One huge example of this is the book of Ephesians. Almost the entire first chapter is a praise/commendation from Paul yet many widely held doctrines come from that passage, or at very least are supported by it.

I have no problem drawing doctrine from greetings or any place where doctrine can be found. But I just don't see how continuationist doctrine can be drawn from 1 Cor 1:7. You would have to make a logical connection like this:

1. Paul says that the Corinthian church is lacking in no spiritual gift.
2. Therefore every church (including mine) can expect to be supplied with every spiritual gift.

It's just a non-sequitur. I don't see how (2) follows from (1).

So again, how can we say the gifts have ceased if Paul clearly taught they would be in operation until Jesus returned?

I don't see where Paul taught this.

IOW, why would Paul even mention this in a commendation if he didn't truly believe it? And if he believed it he would have taught it and he did.

I think Paul really believed that the Corinthians were a very gifted congregation. No need to say much more than that.

Reactions: friend of
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums