Not open for further replies.

Symes

Nov 11, 2003
Visit site
✟2,069.00
Faith
Christian
"Tongues, then, are a sign, not for believers but for unbelievers..."

Lets look at this verse a little deeper.

To start with Paul is saying that tongues are for unblievers.

That means to me that when people use tongues to talk with each other then at least one of the party must be an unbeliever.

Does that make any sense?

God only gives the gift of tongues to those who need it.

God does not give the gift to those who can understand each other.

Upvote 0

Symes

Nov 11, 2003
Visit site
✟2,069.00
Faith
Christian
What does this text mean?1 Cor 14:22"Tongues, then, are a sign, not for believers but for unbelievers; prophecy, however, is for believers, not for unbelievers."

I would assume by the lack of response that this text is just too hard for those who speak in tongues to explain.

Upvote 0

tttodd

Oct 9, 2003
Visit site
✟166.00
Faith
Pentecostal
I feel this verse can be better understood if we look in the 2nd chapter of Acts. When the 120 people (Acts 1:15) in the upper room were filled with the Holy Spirit, they "began to speak in other toungues as the Spirit enabled them" (2:4). The crowd of "God-fearing Jews from every nation under Heaven" (v.5) that were gathered outside were amazed because they heard the 120 "declaring the wonders of God in [their] own toungues" (2:11). Not understanding how this could be possible and what it all meant, they thought the 120 were all drunk (2:13). Peter then went outside with the other disciples and gave what is arguably the best altar call since Jesus Christ Himself (2:14-41), leading "about three thousand" to Christ (2:41).

The gift of speaking in toungues - or praying in the Spirit, as some like to call it - is a sign to the unbeliever of the wonders and power of God. Many who do not believe in God through His Son, Jesus Christ, will feel that those speaking in tongues are "out of [their] minds" (1 Corinthians 14:23) and scoff like the God-fearing Jews did on the day of Pentecost (some believers still feel this way today, but that's a whole other subject). But if we read on in 1 Corinthians 14, we see that Paul tells us that when the speaking in toungues is taken to the next level - prophesying - the unbeliever "will be convinced by all that he is a sinner and will be judged by all, and the secrets of his heart will be laid bare. So he will fall down and worship God, exclaiming, "God is really among you!" (v.24b, 25). Therefore, the speaking of toungues is a way of getting an unbelievers attention and, when given to prophesying, turns the unbeliever's heart to God and can make him a believer in Jesus Christ.

I'm not sure if I have explained my understanding of this somewhat difficult concept very well. I have tried to put into words what understanding the Holy Spirit has given me. Since first reading your post, I prayed upon your question throughout the day yesterday and this morning. If I have confused you further, I do sincerely apologize.

One last statement I would like to make, and I feel Pastor Adrian Rogers of Bellevue Baptist Church and his Love Worth Finding ministry said this best, and I quote (paraphrase, rather), "Are the Gifts of the Holy Spirit operational in today's Church? I won't say 'Yes' and I won't say 'No.' To do so would be putting God in a box and I'm not about to do that, beloved." Only God can define Himself and He will give us each better understanding of Himself as He enables us through His Holy Spirit and as we meditate on the mystery of His Being.

Father, I pray now in the Mighty Name of Your Son, my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, that you will reveal more of Yourself in my life and the lives of others as we seek Your Face each day. Draw closer to us as we draw closer to You. Do not hide your face from us but look graciously toward us that we may know You more. Through Jesus I pray. Amen.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟562,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This is a chart of possible scenarios. I may add some notes later.

tongues.jpg

Upvote 0

Symes

Nov 11, 2003
Visit site
✟2,069.00
Faith
Christian

We cannot get away from the fact that tongues are to be used for when we deal with unbelievers.

This happened at Pentecost.

Those listening were unbelievers and did not know that the gospel was now to be taken abroad.

It was never Paul's intention that we speak to God in a unknown language that what we are saying to God we do not even know.

God does not want us to do that.

Does anyone here talk to their friend in a language they cannot understand?

Then why would we talk to God in a language we do not understand?

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟562,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Symes said:

We cannot get away from the fact that tongues are to be used for when we deal with unbelievers.

This happened at Pentecost.

Those listening were unbelievers and did not know that the gospel was now to be taken abroad.

It was never Paul's intention that we speak to God in a unknown language that what we are saying to God we do not even know.

1 Corinthians 14:27-28 Webster
27 If any man speaketh in an unknown language, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.
28 But if there is no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.

Upvote 0

christian-only

defender of the rebirth
Mar 20, 2004
✟1,017.00
Faith
Christian
Symes said:
What does this text mean?

1 Cor 14:22

"Tongues, then, are a sign, not for believers but for unbelievers; prophecy, however, is for believers, not for unbelievers."

Read the verse immediately before: In the law it is written: "With men of other tongues and other lips I will speak to this people; And yet, for all that, they will not hear Me," says the Lord. -- Tongues were to be used in preaching the Gospel to the Jews.

Upvote 0

Symes

Nov 11, 2003
Visit site
✟2,069.00
Faith
Christian
Read the verse immediately before: In the law it is written: "With men of other tongues and other lips I will speak to this people; And yet, for all that, they will not hear Me," says the Lord. -- Tongues were to be used in preaching the Gospel to the Jews.
Remember when Paul used the word tongue he meant it to be used as we use language today. A tongue is a language.

In other words people who did not speak the same language as the Jews would give them the gospel.

This verse does not go against verse 22. It only supports it.

As the Senior has correctly quoted the verse here in how Paul says we should realate to "tongues"

1 Corinthians 14:27-28 Webster
27 If any man speaketh in an unknown language, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.
28 But if there is no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.
If there is no one there to interpret we are to keep in silence.

My issue today about tongues is that we are not following the Biblical way of dealing with it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tttodd

Oct 9, 2003
Visit site
✟166.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Symes said:

When you pray in the Spirit - in toungues- you are indeed praying directly to God. The LORD does not need a translator. And if we back up a few verses, to 1 Corinthians 14:14, 15, we read:

"For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful. So what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my mind; I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my mind."

When praying in the Spirit, you ask God to give you understanding of what you are praying to Him. Praying in the Spirit is a way of bypassing your mind and praying directly from the indwelling Holy Spirit that God has filled you with. If you happen to be in a group of people who are all praying in the Spirit, one may be able to interpret the prayers of another and join that person in that particular prayer.

One thing to keep in mind in all of this is that "God is not a God of disorder but of peace" (v.33).

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

I've Been Keepin My Eyes Wide Open
Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Symes said:
I would assume by the lack of response that this text is just too hard for those who speak in tongues to explain.
I'm sorry but I just can't resist...shouldn't you be asking this question to people who actually believe they speak in tongues? Why are you not asking this question in the charismatic movement forum? If you want responses by people who claim to speak in tongues that is the logical place to go isn't it?

Upvote 0

Symes

Nov 11, 2003
Visit site
✟2,069.00
Faith
Christian
I'm sorry but I just can't resist...shouldn't you be asking this question to people who actually believe they speak in tongues? Why are you not asking this question in the charismatic movement forum? If you want responses by people who claim to speak in tongues that is the logical place to go isn't it?

Yea, I guess you are right.

Just have not seen it.

Upvote 0

Symes

Nov 11, 2003
Visit site
✟2,069.00
Faith
Christian
When praying in the Spirit, you ask God to give you understanding of what you are praying to Him. Praying in the Spirit is a way of bypassing your mind and praying directly from the indwelling Holy Spirit that God has filled you with. If you happen to be in a group of people who are all praying in the Spirit, one may be able to interpret the prayers of another and join that person in that particular prayer.

One thing to keep in mind in all of this is that "God is not a God of disorder but of peace"

Praying in tongues is not in order. It is disorder. God does not need us to speak in tongues to Him. When a person speaks in tongues to God as far as I know they do not know what they have said. Where is the order in that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tttodd

Oct 9, 2003
Visit site
✟166.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Symes said:
Remember that "tongues" are for unbelivers. So speaking in tongues to God is like saying to Godd that He is an unbeliever.

When tongues are for unbelievers why would one want to talk to God in "tongues"?
Speaking in toungues is a SIGN to unbelievers. It is not for unbelievers to do. If speaking in toungues was like saying to God that He is an unbeliever, then why would He ordain it? Why does He speak of it in His Word, the Holy Bible?

Upvote 0

Symes

Nov 11, 2003
Visit site
✟2,069.00
Faith
Christian
Speaking in toungues is a SIGN to unbelievers. It is not for unbelievers to do. If speaking in toungues was like saying to God that He is an unbeliever, then why would He ordain it? Why does He speak of it in His Word, the Holy Bible?

In other words the Bible is saying that believers should not speak in tongues. It is to used for unbelievers.

"22Tongues, then, are a sign, not for believers but for unbelievers; prophecy, however, is for believers, not for unbelievers."

How much clearer can Paul make it.

Upvote 0

tttodd

Oct 9, 2003
Visit site
✟166.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Symes said:

How much clearer can Paul make it.
I thought it was pretty well clear myself a while back. I guess some are just bent on trying to keep it confusing. Perhaps we have reached a point where we must agree to disagree and go back to loving our brother and sister just as Christ has commanded us. There will always be doctrinal differences in how one person interprets this verse and how one interprets another. God will always give one person a different meaning to a point of His Word than He will another. It all depends on what type of work He is doing in that individual's life. But one thing is perfectly clear, no matter who you are nor where you are in your walk with the Lord; we must love one another just as He loves us.

Upvote 0

Symes

Nov 11, 2003
Visit site
✟2,069.00
Faith
Christian
I thought it was pretty well clear myself a while back. I guess some are just bent on trying to keep it confusing. Perhaps we have reached a point where we must agree to disagree and go back to loving our brother and sister just as Christ has commanded us. There will always be doctrinal differences in how one person interprets this verse and how one interprets another. God will always give one person a different meaning to a point of His Word than He will another. It all depends on what type of work He is doing in that individual's life. But one thing is perfectly clear, no matter who you are nor where you are in your walk with the Lord; we must love one another just as He loves us.
God's Word is not like that at all. "
God will always give one person a different meaning to a point of His Word than He will another." NO, No, No, God is the same yesterday, today and forever.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.