1 chance to preach

simonthezealot

have you not read,what God has spoken unto you?
Apr 17, 2006
Minnesota
✟19,953.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think that I would start by separating myself from everyone and get in touch with God. Probably for hours every day until I was ready and then put my faith in the Spirit of God and let him do the talking for me.
Yep, pretty much the plan and the way i operate...i think God can and does speak through His people, so i think discussing this is a good thing though ultimately i will preach as the Spirit leads me.

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟820,448.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Yep, pretty much the plan and the way i operate...i think God can and does speak through His people, so i think discussing this is a good thing though ultimately i will preach as the Spirit leads me.
I would agree. One never knows who God wants you to reach out and touch. Maybe there is only one person in the group of many or many people in a group of One, that God wants to give a message to.

Have faith and live.
YD

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,052,524.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would make a summary of Mark, but anyway, I don't think I'll ever be a preacher.

Don't say that too loudly - God might be listening! ;)

That's what I said, and I've been preaching now for 7 years.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
If you were given an opportunity to preach ONE time, to a captive audience (woman's prison) to a couple hundred people (many if not most being non-believers). What would you preach on?
What approach?
Something that might engage them in the story, perhaps from Philippians 1 running into the poem in Philippians 2 and concentrating on the gospel as setting free, New Exodus,...

Upvote 0

simonthezealot

Apr 17, 2006
Minnesota
✟19,953.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Something that might engage them in the story, perhaps from Philippians 1 running into the poem in Philippians 2 and concentrating on the gospel as setting free, New Exodus,...
That's a good thought as well...i'm a huge fan of this epistle, it is just so solid.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

boswd

Jan 2, 2008
✟6,566.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
"Law and Gospel," said the Lutheran.

something tells me preaching the Law to women in prison won't fly.:D

I would take an approach of love and the void Christ will fill that is missing in their lives when you turn your life over to him.
That there is something more out there. And no matter what he loves unconditionally and will forgive your sins if you honestly repent.

Upvote 0

Tangible

Decision Theology = Ex Opere Operato
May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I would take an approach of love and the void Christ will fill that is missing in their lives when you turn your life over to him.
a.k.a. therapeutic deism?
That there is something more out there. And no matter what he loves unconditionally and will forgive your sins if you honestly repent.
That little word if turns your statement from Gospel into Law.

Law: For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. The wages of sin is death.

Gospel: God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. For it has been granted to you that for the sake of Christ you should not only believe in him but also suffer for his sake. For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

Reactions: sunlover1
Upvote 0

simonthezealot

Apr 17, 2006
Minnesota
✟19,953.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
1 Corinthians 5:21
2 Cor you mean...
That is an awesome one 2
For our sake he made him to be sin who did not know sin, so that we might become the righteousness of God in him.

Upvote 0

simonthezealot

Apr 17, 2006
Minnesota
✟19,953.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Law: For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. The wages of sin is death.

Gospel: God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. For it has been granted to you that for the sake of Christ you should not only believe in him but also suffer for his sake. For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.
Good words Tangible...At one point i was considering the Roman road approach.
therapeutic deism? what's that like feel good theology?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SummaScriptura

Forever Newbie
May 30, 2007
Scam Francisco
Visit site
✟49,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
If you were given an opportunity to preach ONE time, to a captive audience (woman's prison) to a couple hundred people (many if not most being non-believers). What would you preach on?
What approach?
Just this week I began to write out this very thing. Its called, "the conversation I wish we'd had". When done I will video it and post it to YouTube and Facebook to witness to family.

The thesis is something akin to "come to Christ!", based upon Mat. 11 where Christ bids us "come to Me!"

Upvote 0

SummaScriptura

Forever Newbie
May 30, 2007
Scam Francisco
Visit site
✟49,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

Law: For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. The wages of sin is death.<snip>
You're stretching that argument to a rhetorical extreme which is not merited by Scripture.

When Jesus says, "come to Me!", is not there the plain assumption that there will be those who will not come? If there are those who will come and if there are those who will not come, there is an "if" in either equation. "Come to Me!" also implies a human activity. The act of comeing to Christ is not a "work" as defined by the term legalism.

Reactions: Coralie
Upvote 0

Tangible

Decision Theology = Ex Opere Operato
May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
You're stretching that argument to a rhetorical extreme which is not merited by Scripture.

When Jesus says, "come to Me!", is not there the plain assumption that there will be those who will not come? If there are those who will come and if there are those who will not come, there is an "if" in either equation. "Come to Me!" also implies a human activity. The act of comeing to Christ is not a "work" as defined by the term legalism.
Coming to Christ is one of our responses to God's gracious gift of salvation. Those whom God is saving will be characterized by belief, repentance (which is simply constantly turning our minds and hearts away from the world and our flesh and toward God), etc.

To believe that repenting, believing, etc. are things that we do before we are saved in order to obtain salvation obviously turns them into something we must do in order to be saved. This is works-righteousness of the most pernicious sort.

Upvote 0

SummaScriptura

Forever Newbie
May 30, 2007
Scam Francisco
Visit site
✟49,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Coming to Christ is one of our responses to God's gracious gift of salvation. Those whom God is saving will be characterized by belief, repentance (which is simply constantly turning our minds and hearts away from the world and our flesh and toward God), etc.

To believe that repenting, believing, etc. are things that we do before we are saved in order to obtain salvation obviously turns them into something we must do in order to be saved. This is works-righteousness of the most pernicious sort.
Sorry. I am not eye-to-eye with Martin on this one.

Personally, I am glad Paul's message was not based upon reactionary theology, as was Martin Luther's, so he could boldy say, "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved!" He did not say, "Believe on the Lord Jesus Chsist as your response to God's gracious gift of salvation, as a characteristic of God's saving you, not as something you do in order to be saved, which would be works-righteousness of the most pernicious sort." {phew!}

Now please, back to the subject of the thread.

Upvote 0