0.5% of Syrian Refugees (to America) are Christian, but 10% of Syria is Christian.

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Not relevant to the subject at hand. What I wrote is Catholic teaching so if you disagree you are rejecting what your own church teaches.
I don't know what Catholic teaching you think you're citing, but you should check out what the Pope says.

Upvote 0

samir

Dec 9, 2015
us
✟18,067.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
I don't know what Catholic teaching you think you're citing

I couldn't find it in a quick search of the catechism but it's an easy deduction of Catholic teaching for me. Since it's probably not for you, I did find where Aquinas, the greatest theologian and doctor of your church, taught it:

"we ought to love one neighbor more than another. The reason is that, since the principle of love is God, and the person who loves, it must needs be that the affection of love increases in proportion to the nearness to one or the other of those principles... Our neighbors are not all equally related to God; some are nearer to Him, by reason of their greater goodness, and those we ought, out of charity, to love more than those who are not so near to Him. (Aquinas, Summa, II-II, Q26, A6)"

you should check out what the Pope says.

Did the Pope say Catholics should love Muslims more than Christians? You'll have to provide a source because I don't believe he said that.

Last edited:
Reactions: civilwarbuff
Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I think that a person's religion is not relevant as to whether or not we help them - Christian, Muslim, Jew, Hindu, Buddhist or even Satanist. If someone needs help we should give it to them. IMHO
Since, like Jews in Germany in WWII, Christians are a target for genocide in Syria, the question of religion is very relevant on those grounds.
Special effort is needed to prevent the complete eradication of Christians in the ME.

• Agree
Upvote 0

LionL

Believer in God, doubter of religion
Jan 23, 2015
The United Kingdom of Great Britain and N. Ireland
✟37,036.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Since, like Jews in Germany in WWII, Christians are a target for genocide in Syria, the question of religion is very relevant on those grounds.
Special effort is needed to prevent the complete eradication of Christians in the ME.
All are welcome - not just Christians. Atheists and Jews are just as much targets as Christians, and people of all faiths, but predominantly Muslims, are being caught in the crossfire. Yesterday I heard a report on the radio in which a scene of destruction was described. A mother lay dead with a babe in her arms and a child by her side - a Muslim family.

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
All are welcome - not just Christians. Atheists and Jews are just as much targets as Christians, and people of all faiths, but predominantly Muslims, are being caught in the crossfire. Yesterday I heard a report on the radio in which a scene of destruction was described. A mother lay dead with a babe in her arms and a child by her side - a Muslim family.
It is not predominantly Muslims caught in the cross fire.
Of course Muslims are dying in the civil war in larger numbers, because it is Muslims in an overwhelmingly Muslim region who are leading the fight on all sides, against each other.
But it has been Alawites and Christian minorities that have been targeted for genocide. That is what makes such low rates of refugees coming from the people who are been eradicated from the ME particularly unconscionable.

And this is especially true of Western Christians, who are not even pretending here to stand up for their brothers and sisters in Christ in Syria.

Upvote 0

LionL

Jan 23, 2015
✟37,036.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
It is not predominantly Muslims caught in the cross fire.
Of course Muslims are dying in the civil war in larger numbers, because it is Muslims in an overwhelmingly Muslim region who are leading the fight on all sides, against each other.
But it has been Alawites and Christian minorities that have been targeted for genocide. That is what makes such low rates of refugees coming from the people who are been eradicated from the ME particularly unconscionable.

And this is especially true of Western Christians, who are not even pretending here to stand up for their brothers and sisters in Christ in Syria.
Then people of all faiths should be helped - the innocent civilians whatever their religion.

To only help those of a certain belief system smacks of genocide itself.

• Agree
Reactions: Ada Lovelace
Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
That is continuing to ignore the truth that the OP article points out, which is that it is Christians that are being shut out.
I at least want to be on record as saying this is an injustice against Christians.
As a Christian, that is what I want to be remembered as focusing on.

• Haha
Upvote 0

LionL

Jan 23, 2015
✟37,036.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Y
That is continuing to ignore the truth that the OP article points out, which is that it is Christians that are being shut out.
I at least want to be on record as saying this is an injustice against Christians.
As a Christian, that is what I want to be remembered as focusing on.
Our choice, of course. I'd rather be remembered for helping as many people as possible.

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Y
Our choice, of course. I'd rather be remembered for helping as many people as possible.
As many Muslims as possible, and Christians, Alawites- ie those targeted for genocide, are irrelevant is how that is working right now in terms of refugee policy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LionL

Jan 23, 2015
✟37,036.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
As many Muslims as possible, and Christians, Alawites- ie those targeted for genocide, are irrelevant is how that is working right now in terms of refugee policy.
As many HUMANS as possible, irrespective of religion.

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
As many HUMANS as possible, irrespective of religion.
and that is exactly what is not happening.
Muslims are preferred under the current policy. It is not for lack of need that has Christians underrepresented.

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Baraq Hussein Obama wrote in his book that he would stand with the Muslims.

For someone who said he had never been a Muslim while campaigning for his first term in office, he has expressed his passion for Islam repeatidely:

http://www.nowtheendbegins.com/40-mind-blowing-quotes-barack-hussein-obama-islam-christianity/
What was ignored when Obama was introduced as a presidential candidate was the nature of his religion.
His church subscribed to black liberation theology, which was basically a Marxist understanding, not unlike the Islam of Farakhan, not unlike the Catholicism of Father Pflegger, that basically divided the world into oppressor and oppressed.
Christianity is the religion of the oppressive West, and that is the lens that Marxists view the ME through.
Christians are seen as the oppressor class, even though it has been the Christians of the ME that have lived in a state of submission to their Muslim neighbours for hundreds, or even over a thousand years now.

That explains this policy. It is not a result of Obama being a Muslim. His Christian roots like in Marxist Black Liberation Theology.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,081.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
and that is exactly what is not happening.
Muslims are preferred under the current policy. It is not for lack of need that has Christians underrepresented.
No. It is from lack of Christians applying for resettlement in the US. Unless you can show that the percentage of Christians being admitted is radically different from the amount applying for asylum in the US, you have not shown anything.

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
No. It is from lack of Christians applying for resettlement in the US. Unless you can show that the percentage of Christians being admitted is radically different from the amount applying for asylum in the US, you have not shown anything.
That is wishful thinking. There is absolutely no proof that Christians and Alawites are choosing to be martyrs rather than refuge.
It is not that Christians welcome their death and enslavement at the hands of Islamists, but that they are violently denied access to refugee camps by the Muslim refugees already there.
Those in most need of help are sent to the back of the line, and thrown over the side of the boats traversing the Mediterranean.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,081.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
That is wishful thinking. There is absolutely no proof that Christians and Alawites are choosing to be martyrs rather than refuge.
It is not that Christians welcome their death and enslavement at the hands of Islamists, but that they are violently denied access to refugee camps by the Muslim refugees already there.
Those in most need of help are sent to the back of the line, and thrown over the side of the boats traversing the Mediterranean.
So you admit then that they do not get a chance to apply for refugee status in the US? We cannot admit people if they do not apply, as simple as that.

Upvote 0

LionL

Jan 23, 2015
✟37,036.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
So you admit then that they do not get a chance to apply for refugee status in the US? We cannot admit people if they do not apply, as simple as that.
I'm British and know little of the strange habits popular in the colonies. Here in the UK we try to help everyone

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Well, if it is not a problem for you that Christians are getting thrown off the boat, then that is pretty simplistic for sure.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,081.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Well, if it is not a problem for you that Christians are getting thrown off the boat, then that is pretty simplistic for sure.
No. What I'm saying is that the implication of the OP, that there is some kind of systematic denial of asylum to Christian refugees from Syria is incorrect.

Reactions: Armoured
Upvote 0