• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Featured 0.5% of Syrian Refugees (to America) are Christian, but 10% of Syria is Christian.

Discussion in 'Current News & Events' started by HarvestTheFields, Sep 18, 2016.

1. HarvestTheFields

HarvestTheFields Great White North

+307
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    CA-Conservatives
    Source:

http://www.newsweek.com/us-bars-christian-not-muslim-refugees-syria-497494

"The United States has accepted 10,801 Syrian refugees, of whom 56 are Christian. Not 56 percent; 56 total, out of 10,801. That is to say, one-half of 1 percent.

The BBC says that 10 percent of all Syrians are Christian, which would mean 2.2 million Christians. It is quite obvious, and President Barack Obama and Secretary John Kerry have acknowledged it, that Middle Eastern Christians are an especially persecuted group."

It's interesting that Syrian Christians are more likely to be killed, and less likely to be terrorists, yet are heavily discriminated against in terms of refugee intake. Here in Canada, we have the same problem.

Why is the US not taking Syrian Christians? Why are they favouring Muslims?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. LionL

LionL Believer in God, doubter of religion

+607
    Christian
    In Relationship
    UK-Liberal-Democrats
    Is that all?
    Turkey has taken almost 2 million
    Germany has accepted over 30,000
    Sweden, a country with a population 30 times smaller than that of the US, has accepted 4,500

When the amount of refugees actually being taken in by the US such a tiny proportion of those fleeing Syria it is hardly surprising that their demographics are not representative. For a more representative sample one must take a much larger group.

3. HarvestTheFields

HarvestTheFields Great White North

+307
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    CA-Conservatives
    Germany has way more than 30,000 refugees. Try multiplying that by 10.
    Look at what has happened to Sweden:
    [​IMG]
    They've quickly changed their attitude in regards to immigration.

The craziest one is Lebanon.
    Population before crisis: 4.5 million
    Population now (with 1.5 million Syrian refugees): 6 million. That's a huge portion of their entire population.

I'm pretty sure that even here in Canada, we've accepted 35,000, which is also more than the US. I agree with accepting refugees, since these types of decisions should be made in love. I bet Jesus would be in favour of letting in many refugees.
    But saying 11,000 is a small sample size is ridiculous. The immigration policies and procedures are carried out on a case-by-case basis. When religious discrimination from those policies is present 20-fold over 11,000 people, there's clearly something wrong. It's not like they just accepted them all from one town with a 99.5% muslim population. They're taken from all over.

The problem may not be with the policies. It may be because the refugee camps themselves are too dangerous for Christians to stay there. When immigrants are taken from these camps, it leaves the Christians on the outside. The Yezidi are in even more danger than the Christians, and they face the same problem.

4. dqhall

dqhall Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,475
    Christian
    Single
  5. LionL

+607
    Christian
    In Relationship
    UK-Liberal-Democrats
    I think that a person's religion is not relevant as to whether or not we help them - Christian, Muslim, Jew, Hindu, Buddhist or even Satanist. If someone needs help we should give it to them. IMHO

6. dqhall

+1,475
    Christian
    Single
    I would rather help the Christians first, not help the Muslims first.

7. LionL

+607
    Christian
    In Relationship
    UK-Liberal-Democrats
    That's your choice of course. Personally I see the person before I see their religion.
    From a Christian point of view, those who are saved don't need saving.

8. dqhall

+1,475
    Christian
    Single
    Acts 6:1 Now in those days, when the number of the disciples was multiplying, a complaint arose from the Hellenists against the Hebrews, because their widows were neglected in the daily service. 2 The twelve summoned the multitude of the disciples and said, "It is not appropriate for us to forsake the word of God and serve tables. 3 Therefore select from among you, brothers, seven men of good report, full of the Holy Spirit and of wisdom, whom we may appoint over this business. 4 But we will continue steadfastly in prayer and in the ministry of the word." 5 These words pleased the whole multitude. They chose Stephen, a man full of faith and of the Holy Spirit, Philip, Prochorus, Nicanor, Timon, Parmenas, and Nicolaus, a proselyte of Antioch; 6 whom they set before the apostles. When they had prayed, they laid their hands on them.

I would not want to see Muslim refugees being given priority over the Christian refugees. This nation was not founded on Islam.

9. sdowney717

sdowney717 Newbie

+1,941
    Christian
    Galatians 6:10
    Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all, especially to those who are of the household of faith.

If your going to do good for people, you should favor believers in Christ over others.

Paul would have gotten this from Christ's teaching here.
    Matthew 25:40
    And the King will answer and say to them, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.’
    In Context | Full Chapter | Other Translations
    Matthew 25:45
    Then He will answer them, saying, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.’

Christ's brothers would be those here who are with Christ in His kingdom, so then believers in Christ.

10. VanillaSunflowers

VanillaSunflowers Black Lives Don't Matter More Than Any Other Life

+1,727
    Nazarene
    Married
    We're voicing our own politics here.
    The discrepancy in numbers is concerning in that Christians are not fairly represented in matters of offering refuge.

11. Arcangl86

Arcangl86 Newbie

+3,051
    Anglican
    Single
    US-Green
    This constantly gets brought up. The simple reason that we are not accepting more Christian refugees is that most of those seeking asylum are not Christian. Many Christian refugees do not go to the UN refugee camps, and that is where asylum seekers come from.

12. VanillaSunflowers

VanillaSunflowers Black Lives Don't Matter More Than Any Other Life

+1,727
    Nazarene
    Married
    And why is it that Christian refugees don't often seek sanctuary in UN refugee camps?

13. Arcangl86

Arcangl86 Newbie

+3,051
    Anglican
    Single
    US-Green
    A number of reasons. Many do not feel safe there. However in addition while a minority in Syria, before the current chaos many of the Christians were actually in positions of power and as such had resources that not all have. But regardless of the reason for why, the simple fact is that they are not among those seeking asylum in the US, so teh suggestion that President Obama is showing preference to Muslims is unfounded.

14. Armoured

Armoured So is America great again yet? Supporter

+13,799
    Catholic
    Married
    Ever hear the parable of the Good Samaritan?

15. chandraclaws

chandraclaws Well-Known Member

+673
    Christian

16. Tallguy88

Tallguy88 We shall see the King when he comes! Supporter

+7,643
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    Shameful. Christianity is becoming extinct in its homelands yet we do nothing, not even try to give them asylum.

May the rightful government of Syria prevail and restore peace, security, and order to the region. May IS fail. And may there be a new Arab Spring, a Christian Arab Spring, in the Middle East.

17. Armoured

+13,799
    Catholic
    Married
    *stunned* every time anyone suggests giving asylum to Syrian refugees, "we" flip out at the thought!
    You understand that the "rightful government of Syria" isn't Christian, right? And that there are more factions here than just "the rightful government of Syria" and IS, right?

18. Tallguy88

+7,643
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    I'm OK with refugees after a very thorough vetting process and where Christians and Yazdis are fast tracked since they are being genocided.

Yes, I know that, but Assad has always protected the religious minorities from Sunni extremists because he is a minority, too. So even though he is not Christian, he is the best option we have.

19. Armoured

+13,799
    Catholic
    Married
    So are some Muslims
    Explain the logic underlying that assessment, pray?

20. Tallguy88

+7,643
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    Ok

One, he's the legitimate government, so he has authority from God to rule those lands. Two, of all significant contenders, he is the one who will be best for Christians in general (because he's already got a good track record in that department from before the civil war) and will be the most stable force in general because he's not a radical or extremist.