Jun 27, 2007
✟100,595.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
“you have to tell me everything” said my granddaughter following her Christmas play where they actually acknowledged that Jesus is the reason for the season. Everything? Where to start? Something that would hold her interest to ask more questions … what would you say in reply to that? I haven’t had a chance to reply yet but here is what I was thinking of saying that obviously isn’t everything! What would you correct? She’s 6 going on a teenager, I know she wants to hear more but can only take in a little, what basics would you include?

“God loves the world that He created with all living beings on it. Humans especially because they are made to hold His love inside them. Not everyone wants His love though because they are more interested in the pleasures that life brings. They live on instincts much like the animals do. God finds it very hard to reach those people with His love. Others live according to values that they decide are good to live by. When they live by God’s values then God can share His love with them because they have that connection. But those who seek Him as a constant companion will be rewarded with hearing His voice in their ears telling them the way they should go and because they love Him enough to do this God personally watches over their hearts”

That’s all I’ve got so far. Is that good for a starter? I really need advise on this.

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Oh praise God :clap::clap::clap: This blessed me more than you will ever know. "You gotta tell me everything" That just makes me smile and warms my heart.
Does she have a children's bible?

Upvote 0

~Zao~

Wisdom’s child
Site Supporter
Jun 27, 2007
✟100,595.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Oh praise God :clap::clap::clap: This blessed me more than you will ever know. "You gotta tell me everything" That just makes me smile and warms my heart.
Does she have a children's bible?
She has one here but is just learning to read. The 'veggie tales’ young Christian movie series is too young for her now but I think what she has realized is that Jesus is not a fairy tale so that’s why I think it’s important to give her a good answer right now.

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
She has one here is just learning to read. The 'veggie tales’ young Christian movie series is too young for her now but I think what she has realized is that Jesus is not a fairy tale so that’s why I think it’s important to give her a good answer right now.
I agree and as the Word says "raise them in the way" :]
I would start with bedtime stories of biblical events, Jonah, Joseph and his coat of many colors etc:
Here is a ministry to help you free
Free Bible Lessons for Kids

Reactions: ~Zao~
Upvote 0

~Zao~

Wisdom’s child
Site Supporter
Jun 27, 2007
✟100,595.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,870.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
“you have to tell me everything” said my granddaughter following her Christmas play where they actually acknowledged that Jesus is the reason for the season. Everything? Where to start? Something that would hold her interest to ask more questions … what would you say in reply to that? I haven’t had a chance to reply yet but here is what I was thinking of saying that obviously isn’t everything! What would you correct? She’s 6 going on a teenager, I know she wants to hear more but can only take in a little, what basics would you include?

“God loves the world that He created with all living beings on it. Humans especially because they are made to hold His love inside them. Not everyone wants His love though because they are more interested in the pleasures that life brings. They live on instincts much like the animals do. God finds it very hard to reach those people with His love. Others live according to values that they decide are good to live by. When they live by God’s values then God can share His love with them because they have that connection. But those who seek Him as a constant companion will be rewarded with hearing His voice in their ears telling them the way they should go and because they love Him enough to do this God personally watches over their hearts”

That’s all I’ve got so far. Is that good for a starter? I really need advise on this.

This sounds like it's more for an 8-10 year old. The concepts of instincts and values might need to be explained. And she might think she can actually hear a voice in her ears instead of remembering what God teaches us in His word. Do you have a Christian bookstore near you? If not, you could order a book or two online:

Christian Toys Books Bibles Age 6-8 - Christianbook.com

P. S. Try ebay for lower prices.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

whereloveandmercymeet

There but for the grace of God...
Nov 12, 2018
Dorset
✟125,170.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
She has one here but is just learning to read. The 'veggie tales’ young Christian movie series is too young for her now but I think what she has realized is that Jesus is not a fairy tale so that’s why I think it’s important to give her a good answer right now.

I don’t know if you can still get it but Superbook was a great series when I was a child. It was a girl and a boy who were best friends and Superbook (the Bible) would take them to scenes in the bible and they would meet the people like King David and see the story play out, and the children could ask the people questions, the kind of questions children have like why they did certain things. I want to find it for my own son.

Upvote 0

~Zao~

Wisdom’s child
Site Supporter
Jun 27, 2007
✟100,595.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This sounds like it's more for an 8-10 year old. The concepts of instincts and values might need to be explained. And she might think she can actually hear a voice in her ears instead of remembering what God teaches us in His word. Do you have a Christian bookstore near you? If not, you could order a book or two online:

Christian Toys Books Bibles Age 6-8 - Christianbook.com
She has lots of bible story books too. Concepts probably will need to be modified, that’s what I’m looking for is ways to do this.

Upvote 0

~Zao~

Wisdom’s child
Site Supporter
Jun 27, 2007
✟100,595.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don’t know if you can still get it but Superbook was a great series when I was a child. It was a girl and a boy who were best friends and Superbook (the Bible) would take them to scenes in the bible and they would meet the people like King David and see the story play out, and the children could ask the people questions, the kind of questions children have like why they did certain things. I want to find it for my own son.
I love that series! Yes, she has had some of that teaching too. The problem is that while she wants the info she also knows that others have mocked me for it, so there’s that too. Her parents aren’t practicing Christians.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,870.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I love that series! Yes, she has had some of that teaching too. The problem is that while she wants the info she also knows that others have mocked me for it, so there’s that too. Her parents aren’t practicing Christians.

I grew up with non-Christians and didn't know my Bible; that's how I was tricked into joining Mormons. But God had plans for me that began when I was four and my baby-sitter/parents' maid:holy: taught me how to pray.

Upvote 0

~Zao~

Wisdom’s child
Site Supporter
Jun 27, 2007
✟100,595.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I grew up with non-Christians and didn't know my Bible; that's how I was tricked into joining Mormons. But God had plans for me that began when I was four and my baby-sitter/parents' maid:holy: taught me how to pray.
She has a prayer bear (it says the now I lay me down to sleep prayer) at her parents place and often sleeps with it. So I guess she does have the basic concepts, just not the words to define “everything”. I’m still struggling to find out what “everything” means. I honestly don’t want her to get caught in the religiosity.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,870.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
She has a prayer bear (it says the now I lay me down to sleep prayer) at her parents place and often sleeps with it. So I guess she does have the basic concepts, just not the words to define “everything”. I’m still struggling to find out what “everything” means. I honestly don’t want her to get caught in the religiosity.

The prayer bear is good. I would also talk to her about how much God loves her and how He wants us to talk to Him and tell Him "Thank You," etc.

Christian Prayer Hand 2.jpg

You could draw around her hand and write words that she understands. She is so blessed to have you for a grandmother!!!

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
She’s 6 going on a teenager, I know she wants to hear more but can only take in a little, what basics would you include?
I'm so happy your granddaughter wants to learn more about God!

I like your summary of the gospel message, especially its emphasis on love. I think I would characterize sin more in terms of hurting other people, instead of in terms of enjoying life's pleasures, so something like this: "Sometimes we are mean to each other and hurt each other, and when we do that, God finds it very hard to reach us with his love." Probably your granddaughter has been selfish or has hurt someone at some point in her life, because she's a human being, so she might be able to connect to that. But I really do like the way you describe God sharing his love with us when we're open to connecting with God.

Do you have times when she's staying with you at your house and you can read to her? Even if she can't read independently yet, there could be times when she cuddles with you in your lap and you read to her out of a children's Bible. If I had only a couple of hours a week with a young grandchild, and she was starting to ask about Jesus, I think I might focus first on stories about Jesus' life and some of Jesus' parables. If it's the Nativity story that caught her interest, you could continue on with Jesus' life from there -- Jesus at 12 years old in the temple, Jesus' baptism, and so on.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

~Zao~

Wisdom’s child
Site Supporter
Jun 27, 2007
✟100,595.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm so happy your granddaughter wants to learn more about God!
Thank you, so am I. It’s been touch and go because for awhile her visits were being curtailed because of too much emphasis on Jesus so for her to pursue it is indeed a blessing.

I like your summary of the gospel message, especially its emphasis on love. I think I would characterize sin more in terms of hurting other people, instead of in terms of enjoying life's pleasures, so something like this: "Sometimes we are mean to each other and hurt each other, and when we do that, God finds it very hard to reach us with his love." Probably your granddaughter has been selfish or has hurt someone at some point in her life, because she's a human being, so she might be able to connect to that. But I really do like the way you describe God sharing his love with us when we're open to connecting with God.
Yes, connecting with things more relatable to her. That’s a very good idea.

Do you have times when she's staying with you at your house and you can read to her? Even if she can't read independently yet, there could be times when she cuddles with you in your lap and you read to her out of a children's Bible. If I had only a couple of hours a week with a young grandchild, and she was starting to ask about Jesus, I think I might focus first on stories about Jesus' life and some of Jesus' parables. If it's the Nativity story that caught her interest, you could continue on with Jesus' life from there -- Jesus at 12 years old in the temple, Jesus' baptism, and so on.
We have done that her whole life because she spent 2 nights a month with me but as I said I have gotten ‘the talk’ about too much. So now I have lapsed into allowing her the programs and books of her choosing, which are not about God. I have to admit I’ve been lapse for awhile now. So proud of her for coming forward herself!!!

I love that idea also of seeing Jesus as He aged from a child too. I think she could really relate to that. :oldthumbsup:

Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,052.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I would say you will need to simplify things a little. You don't need to talk about how some people reject God, that is theology, too deep for a kid. Paul said he focused on the cross when preaching. Focus on the fact that God came to earth as a man to show us the way to live, and to take the penalty that we deserve, so that we can freely have relationship with God. Also don't talk about God speaking into the ear, He does not do that for every christian, you could say God talks to you, or you know God is real because he talks to you, but don't make it a requirement of relationship with God. Relationship with Jesus is through the cross.

Upvote 0

~Zao~

Wisdom’s child
Site Supporter
Jun 27, 2007
✟100,595.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I would say you will need to simplify things a little. You don't need to talk about how some people reject God, that is theology, too deep for a kid. Paul said he focused on the cross when preaching. Focus on the fact that God came to earth as a man to show us the way to live, and to take the penalty that we deserve, so that we can freely have relationship with God. Also don't talk about God speaking into the ear, He does not do that for every christian, you could say God talks to you, or you know God is real because he talks to you, but don't make it a requirement of relationship with God. Relationship with Jesus is through the cross.
The way was opened with Christ because of the cross but to have a relationship with Christ is due to His ascension and resurrection. Paul concentrated on what Jesus did, not so much on what He can do. So for that and other reasons I would prefer to not mention Paul at all. My beliefs are that Paul just gave an analogy that people take to extremes That’s religiosity that she is better off not learning from a male-biased church. I agree that it needs to be simplified for her tho.

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,052.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The way was opened with Christ because of the cross but to have a relationship with Christ is due to His ascension and resurrection. Paul concentrated on what Jesus did, not so much on what He can do. So for that and other reasons I would prefer to not mention Paul at all. My beliefs are that Paul just gave an analogy that people take to extremes That’s religiosity that she is better off not learning from a male-biased church. I agree that it needs to be simplified for her tho.

Hi,

You have misunderstood what I was saying, I am not suggesting you mention Paul. Rather I was saying that Paul said of preaching that he always magnified the cross, over other elements when preaching. I am suggesting that you need to magnify the cross, the work that Jesus did to pay for our sins. I am not saying you should not focus on relationship with God, relationship with God is very important. But that relationship is based upon the finished work of the cross. The bible says that he who believes that Jesus died and rose again will be saved. Salvation is belief in Jesus death and resurrection to pay for our sins.

When I speak to my son about salvation (he is seven), I just let him know that he will make it to heaven, and have salvation because Jesus paid for his sins. Jesus forgives him for all wrong doing, so that he can have relationship with God. I let him know that although he has free salvation he also needs to try to do what is right, by loving others, and caring for their needs.

Salvation is by faith, while my son has faith in Jesus death and resurrection, he will be saved.

Upvote 0

~Zao~

Wisdom’s child
Site Supporter
Jun 27, 2007
✟100,595.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi,

You have misunderstood what I was saying, I am not suggesting you mention Paul. Rather I was saying that Paul said of preaching that he always magnified the cross, over other elements when preaching. I am suggesting that you need to magnify the cross, the work that Jesus did to pay for our sins.
I am not saying you should not focus on relationship with God, relationship with God is very important. But that relationship is based upon the finished work of the cross. The bible says that he who believes that Jesus died and rose again will be saved. Salvation is belief in Jesus death and resurrection to pay for our sins.

When I speak to my son about salvation (he is seven), I just let him know that he will make it to heaven, and have salvation because Jesus paid for his sins. Jesus forgives him for all wrong doing, so that he can have relationship with God. I let him know that although he has free salvation he also needs to try to do what is right, by loving others, and caring for their needs.

Salvation is by faith, while my son has faith in Jesus death and resurrection, he will be saved.
Assurance is based on our spirit being in agreement with the Holy Spirit that we are children of God. I think she has a few of the basics thru the series of child’s books and movies. What I want her to understand is that the world is full of people and that God has a way for them to come home. Yes that includes the cross. It also includes our spirit agreeing with the Holy Spirit that we are children of God because of the relationship. More than anything I want her to want to be a Christian because of God and not what religion can give her and especially not be destroyed by what religion can take away from her. I don’t need to get into theodicy to explain that to her I just need her to see people as equally qualified to fall into any of the three categories of people mentioned in the op so she has a general outline of who is who in the world and where she fits in.

Upvote 0