Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟361,494.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Imagine minds so weak, soft and atrophied that words can cause them pain.
Have to say, I relish the life you've had if you've never had someone say something so awful to you that you got hurt

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟171,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Have to say, I relish the life you've had if you've never had someone say something so awful to you that you got hurt
Sure- words can hurt. But- however painful it is to imagine anyone voting for Trump- seeing the words 'Trump 2016' aren't anywhere near to what qualifies as truly hurtful words.

ETA: If that's hurtful, then one must wonder what their basis of comparison is.

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟171,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
In any event, these kids weren't too happy with the vandalism or what the vandalism said. What's to like?
Chalk statements on college campuses are a regular thing and have been for decades. At the local university in my town- everyone advertises their organizations via sidewalk chalk; from the Student Government Association, to the LGBT campus group, to the Baptist Student Union, the Muslim Student Union, to the Atheist Bible Study Group, et cetera. It's not considered vandalism.

Reactions: Chesterton
Upvote 0

TheBear

NON-WOKED
Jan 2, 2002
✟296,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Imagine minds so weak, soft and atrophied that words can cause them pain. Would this be a pre-existing condition? Does Obamacare cover liberalism?

Better question is - Does Obamacare cover petulance? Once more, these college students are acting like cocooned, spoiled, petulant children.

Upvote 0

Dennis J

Mar 24, 2016
US
✟7,614.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"“I’m supposed to feel comfortable and safe [here],” one student said. “But this man is being supported by students on our campus and our administration shows that they, by their silence, support it as well … I don’t deserve to feel afraid at my school,” she added.""

What the heck is this absolute nonsense? No, you're not at college to feel safe and comfortable. You're there to learn how to think and rationally address ideas that challenge your own. You don't deserve to feel afraid at your school? Maybe you could try acting like an adult and not a baby? In real life, you're going to meet people who have different opinions than you and you won't be able to run to the "safe room" because of it.

What is funny is that the definition of University is unity in diversity. If I disagree with you then we are diverse, but it doesn't mean I don't accept you, unity. People are afraid if they see "Trump 2016" WOW, I think maybe some growing up is in order.

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
It is easy to defend labels of "bigot" or "racist". Don't act like one and don't say "bigot" or "racist" things. Simple.
Which comes down to, "Don't hold beliefs that are counter to mine and I wont call you a racist bigot.".

The beliefs actually being racist or bigoted are secondary to the fact that you'd just disagree with them.

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
You can pray silently, by yourself... but you can't have a teacher lead a prayer.

But yet a Yoga teacher can lead a Yoga class?

How can that be right?

Because one is an endorsement of religious activity and the other is fancy stretching and breathing exercises.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Grizzly

Enemy of Christmas
Supporter
Jul 6, 2002
Tallahassee
✟46,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am a professor at a state university, and all I can say is that I am very grateful that this nonsense has not reached our shores. Why would these administrators promote this kind of infantilism? Ugh.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
When I see an Obama bumpersticker I regurgitate, so there may be some validity to their claims. ;)
But it makes you sick. They claim that the mere sight of the word "Trump" causes them fear. That's much harder to believe.

Upvote 0

Xalith

Apr 6, 2015
✟19,943.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Because one is an endorsement of religious activity and the other is fancy stretching and breathing exercises.

Both are Spiritual Practices. Spiritual Yoga is more than just stretching and breathing, it involves mystic chanting that is supposed to "calm the spirit" and make-believe magical crystals. And yes, there are people who teach spiritual yoga, and not JUST the physical exercises.

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Both are Spiritual Practices. Spiritual Yoga is more than just stretching and breathing, it involves mystic chanting that is supposed to "calm the spirit" and make-believe magical crystals. And yes, there are people who teach spiritual yoga, and not JUST the physical exercises.
Is that what was going on at this school? Nothing I read said that. Source?

Upvote 0

Xalith

Apr 6, 2015
✟19,943.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Is that what was going on at this school? Nothing I read said that. Source?

That link provided earlier in the thread mentioned mystic chanting (which I know that some forms of Yoga DOES use). It didn't mention crystals, but apparently that happens at some schools too.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TerranceL

Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
That link provided earlier in the thread mentioned mystic chanting (which I know that some forms of Yoga DOES use). It didn't mention crystals, but apparently that happens at some schools too.
The only mention of "chants" comes from a parent, nothing the administrators says mentions it. So I'm going to assume there was no chanting.

Upvote 0

SepiaAndDust

There's a FISH in the percolator
May 6, 2012
Mid-America
✟26,546.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

So what? These are college campuses, which means that adults intentionally signed up to take the class. Colleges can teach all the mystical woo they want, as long as it's not mandatory.

ETA: Ah, I see now. The kerfuffle is described in the GA parents, offended by the 'Far East religion' of yoga, get 'Namaste' banned from school thread.

It is, indeed, an elementary school. As such, nothing spiritual ought to be taught there. Still, most of the complaints seem to be about breathing exercises and saying Namaste with the little hand gesture.

The history of the Yogis doesn't affect the exercises in any way, and it shouldn't be brought up at all, either pro or con. The breathing exercises are perfectly valid in physical education classes.

Using crystals is just stupid.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟361,494.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Sure- words can hurt. But- however painful it is to imagine anyone voting for Trump- seeing the words 'Trump 2016' aren't anywhere near to what qualifies as truly hurtful words.

ETA: If that's hurtful, then one must wonder what their basis of comparison is.
Not arguing that at all.

Upvote 0