Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Emory Students Express Discontent With Administrative Response to Trump Chalkings

Students protested yesterday at the Emory Administration Building following a series of overnight, apparent pro-Donald Trump for president chalkings throughout campus.

Roughly 40 students gathered shortly after 4:30 p.m. in the outdoors space between the Administration Building and Goodrich C. White Hall; many students carried signs featuring slogans such as “Stop Trump” or “Stop Hate” and an antiphonal chant addressed to University administration, led by College sophomore Jonathan Peraza, resounded “You are not listening! Come speak to us, we are in pain!” throughout the Quad. Peraza opened the door to the Administration Building and students moved forward towards the door, shouting “It is our duty to fight for our freedom. It is our duty to win. We must love each other and support each other. We have nothing to lose but our chains.”

http://emorywheel.com/emory-student...h-administrative-response-to-trump-chalkings/

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
"“I’m supposed to feel comfortable and safe [here],” one student said. “But this man is being supported by students on our campus and our administration shows that they, by their silence, support it as well … I don’t deserve to feel afraid at my school,” she added.""

What the heck is this absolute nonsense? No, you're not at college to feel safe and comfortable. You're there to learn how to think and rationally address ideas that challenge your own. You don't deserve to feel afraid at your school? Maybe you could try acting like an adult and not a baby? In real life, you're going to meet people who have different opinions than you and you won't be able to run to the "safe room" because of it.

Upvote 0

northern lights

Jan 8, 2016
US
✟7,774.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
"“I’m supposed to feel comfortable and safe [here],” one student said. “But this man is being supported by students on our campus and our administration shows that they, by their silence, support it as well … I don’t deserve to feel afraid at my school,” she added.""

What the heck is this absolute nonsense? No, you're not at college to feel safe and comfortable. You're there to learn how to think and rationally address ideas that challenge your own. You don't deserve to feel afraid at your school? Maybe you could try acting like an adult and not a baby? In real life, you're going to meet people who have different opinions than you and you won't be able to run to the "safe room" because of it.

Beyond Trump, The Atlantic has an article about this nonsense.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/09/the-coddling-of-the-american-mind/399356/

"Last December, Jeannie Suk wrote in an online article for The New Yorker about law students asking her fellow professors at Harvard not to teach rape law—or, in one case, even use the word violate (as in “that violates the law”) lest it cause students distress."

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Beyond Trump, The Atlantic has an article about this nonsense.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/09/the-coddling-of-the-american-mind/399356/

"Last December, Jeannie Suk wrote in an online article for The New Yorker about law students asking her fellow professors at Harvard not to teach rape law—or, in one case, even use the word violate (as in “that violates the law”) lest it cause students distress."
Yeah, I saw that. What rubbish. Censoring learning because ideas offend people? Even ideas that are absolutely necessary to the subject matter being taught.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Bigot is a personal statement directed at someone. Most people react badly to being called names. In the OP though, it's seeing someone's name that is "causing them pain". So it's a completely different scenario.

Too bad. Either words hurt or they don't. Pick one.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Too bad. Either words hurt or they don't. Pick one.
You seem to have confused me with someone else. I never said words don't hurt. I said college kids should act like adults and not cry to their mommy when ever they come across an opinion they disagree with.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
You seem to have confused me with someone else. I never said words don't hurt. I said college kids should act like adults and not cry to their mommy when ever they come across an opinion they disagree with.

I've said the same thing about the allegedly "anti-PC" crowd -- especially the bigots who can't stand being called out on it.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
These are the same dangerous college kids that are bullying Trump everywhere he goes?

Reactions: Cearbhall
Upvote 0

Tallguy88

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I've said the same thing about the allegedly "anti-PC" crowd -- especially the bigots who can't stand being called out on it.
But that's a red herring and not related to the OP. No one called these kids names, at least not before they had their little tea party. They just got upset they saw an idea they didn't like. That's the difference.

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,670.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
But that's a red herring and not related to the OP. No one called these kids names, at least not before they had their little tea party. They just got upset they saw an idea they didn't like. That's the difference.
Obviously the word Trump, now carries negative undertones. Kind of like saying I need to take a Trump....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

abysmul

Board Game Hobbyist
Jun 17, 2008
Almost Heaven
✟60,490.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We have raised a generation(s) of pathetic, weak, crybabies. Period. We have raised countless children that have not matured properly, and they scream red faced at anyone with whom they disagree... and yet, they cry and need safe zones and counseling because they see a word or phrase written in chalk.

A nation will never be strong or stay strong if this is what becomes its foundation.

Words hurt? Is that what we've become? War, disease, starvation, terrorism, violent crime... all of those hurt. Dear Lord, what a wonderful world it would be if getting your feelings hurt really was on the top of the hurt list.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
"Bigot" can cause one to lose their livelihood, and ruin their reputation. Even if its unjustified in its use (as it often is).

Those throwin' that word around are many times the very epitome of the word they're throwin' around ^_^

Reactions: Ajax 777
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
"Bigot" can cause one to lose their livelihood, and ruin their reputation. Even if its unjustified in its use (as it often is).

So can "lizardman," but only if people believe it.

Seems then like the problem isn't the word, but whether or not the word is believable. My experience has been -- regarding both bigots and lizardmen -- that the best way to get people to not believe the label is to not act like it.

...just a thought.

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,670.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
We have raised a generation(s) of pathetic, weak, crybabies. Period. We have raised countless children that have not matured properly, and they scream red faced at anyone with whom they disagree... and yet, they cry and need safe zones and counseling because they see a word or phrase written in chalk.

Can you get a BIGGER brush to paint whatever it is you are painting on the teenagers?

Reactions: katautumn
Upvote 0

nightflight

Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Your dreams.
✟30,570.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So can "lizardman," but only if people believe it.

No one believes "lizardman"; however when words like "bigot" or "racist" are hurled, its hard to defend against. Not because the accusations are true, but because of the current climate we live in.

Seems then like the problem isn't the word, but whether or not the word is believable.

And too often the word is "believable" because of the current climate; not whether or not the word is accurately used. Just the accusation itself can ruin lives.

My experience has been -- regarding both bigots and lizardmen -- that the best way to get people to not believe the label is to not act like it.

One doesn't have to "act like it" to be accused of it (of course you already know this). For example, the teacher in Minneapolis who was suspended because Black Lives Matter accused him of "racism", when he wasn't guilty of that at all.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/03/2...-suspended-for-racist-social-media-posts.html

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,670.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
No one believes "lizardman"; however when words like "bigot" or "racist" are hurled, its hard to defend against. Not because the accusations are true, but because of the current climate we live in.

It is easy to defend labels of "bigot" or "racist". Don't act like one and don't say "bigot" or "racist" things. Simple.

Reactions: katautumn
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
No one believes "lizardman";

Because it's easy to disprove.

however when words like "bigot" or "racist" are hurled, its hard to defend against. Not because the accusations are true, but because of the current climate we live in.

I've never had problems defending myself from the accusation... it's really not that hard.

Upvote 0

nightflight

Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Your dreams.
✟30,570.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Because it's easy to disprove.

Exactly. "Bigot" or "racist" is different; once accused the onus is on the person to prove that he is not. They are politically charged terms used to silence and destroy. But you already know this.

I've never had problems defending myself from the accusation... it's really not that hard.

Your posts skew to the left; you aren't the heretic or thought criminal in the present climate.

Upvote 0