United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Built in 1928, it is composed of a single altar with 12 one-seat pews

West Virginia is known by many for its stunning scenery immortalized in John Denver’s song “Country Roads.” But perhaps not many Catholics know that the southern state is home to what is considered “the smallest Catholic church of the 49 states.”

Measuring 12×24 feet, the Lady of The Pines Catholic Church is found in Silver Lake, an unincorporated community in Preston County, West Virginia. During the end of the 1930s, Silver Lake began to attract vacationers looking to rent out cabins on the nearby man-made lake. A park and a campground were built in 1930, hosting activities like boating, swimming and picnicking. That’s when “the smallest church of America,” which at the time included 49 states, was born. Built as a family church, it hosts one tiny altar and 12 rows of one-seat pews.

Today, the church has become a cultural landmark, featured on road signs and appearing on local postcards that can be sent through the Silver Lake mail office, appropriately considered “the smallest post office in the world.”

Continued below.
“The smallest Catholic church in 49 States” is in West Virginia

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Built in 1928, it is composed of a single altar with 12 one-seat pews

West Virginia is known by many for its stunning scenery immortalized in John Denver’s song “Country Roads.” But perhaps not many Catholics know that the southern state is home to what is considered “the smallest Catholic church of the 49 states.”

Measuring 12×24 feet, the Lady of The Pines Catholic Church is found in Silver Lake, an unincorporated community in Preston County, West Virginia. During the end of the 1930s, Silver Lake began to attract vacationers looking to rent out cabins on the nearby man-made lake. A park and a campground were built in 1930, hosting activities like boating, swimming and picnicking. That’s when “the smallest church of America,” which at the time included 49 states, was born. Built as a family church, it hosts one tiny altar and 12 rows of one-seat pews.

Today, the church has become a cultural landmark, featured on road signs and appearing on local postcards that can be sent through the Silver Lake mail office, appropriately considered “the smallest post office in the world.”

Continued below.
“The smallest Catholic church in 49 States” is in West Virginia
Perhaps the biggest I attended was in Georgia, where the priest drove up with his pickup, opened some panels in the back of the camper, and had the whole outdoors as his church. It was a mission post and he moved on to the next small town in Georgia to do it all over again. That was in the 1960's.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Perhaps the biggest I attended was in Georgia, where the priest drove up with his pickup, opened some panels in the back of the camper, and had the whole outdoors as his church. It was a mission post and he moved on to the next small town in Georgia to do it all over again. That was in the 1960's.
Your post reminds me of a picture of JPII on a canoeing trip where he held Mass out doors on an overturned canoe. I wish I had that pic but can’t find it.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,069.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
In the last 90 seconds or so of this video you can get a better look at the church, especially what it looks on the inside.

I think it'd be so cool to go to a Mass there. Amazing that such a small building can seem so much more holy and reverent than some of the massive space ships people congregate in today. It's like the Saint Therese of Lisieux of churches.

On a side note, I've been very intrigued by West Virginia lately. Seems like a good state despite what main stream voices might say about it.

Upvote 0