“The constant negativity directed to us priests by…” Wherein Fr. Z relates, reacts, reflects and...

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,666,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
...rants.

At Catholic World Report, Fr. Peter Stravinskas offers a reflection on the way Francis seems constantly to denigrate and insult priests affects both morale and vocations.

His observations coincide with my own. One of things he said struck a strong note with me. He reminisces about how, years ago, as a seminarians and priests we would look forward to papal document, in particular the Holy Thursday letter that John Paul would issue for priests, the Holy Thursday sermons of Benedict. Now, not so much. As a matter of fact, there was a time that I, myself, would very much look forward to every document. I’d drill into them looking for the good stuff. That changed. It got so that – and I am sad as I write this – I started looking for the bad stuff. Now I dread each document and don’t even want to look at most of them. That’s terrible, really.

Parallel: The less I watch of “the news” on TV, etc., about the ongoing political scene, the machinations of the Party of Death, and any number of other things vastly beyond my control, the calmer and happier I am.

Morale has been affected since Benedict resigned (and thanks a lot for that, by the way!).

Stravinskas captures the prevailing sense.

Some excerpts. My emphases:

Continued below.
"The constant negativity directed to us priests by..." Wherein Fr. Z relates, reacts, reflects and rants.

Reactions: zippy2006

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,666,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married